12 Replies Latest reply on Nov 12, 2018 9:21 AM by Jim Moses

How to get "Existing Functionality" removed from a 2019 top ten list?

Jim Moses

Hi,

I added a suggestion that we do not currently have any way to do hence my adding the idea, but somehow this got added, not sure by who or maybe they did not understand my suggestion so how do I get it back to "Purposed" so it might get voted on?

Regards,

• Re: How to get "Existing Functionality" removed from a 2019 top ten list?
          Deepak Gupta

Jim, please check attached video if that it what you're looking for? If not then edit the idea and add more details, pictures to explain.

Jim Moses

Deepak,

Hopefully this link will work: see the last post or copy below:

Drawing notes to be populated by Sub Assembly Custom Properties

If not here is a copy of my last post hopefully I am making sense, but I understand I can select custom properties from a part, I want the functionality to do so from a sub-assembly custom properties and the ability to select either part or sub-assembly.

"Hi again,

Sorry I muddied the waters, see below and let me know if this explains it better.

I have custom properties in a cylinder assembly that will populate a note or that is what I want them to do, is to list the Bore and Stroke of said Cylinder Assembly on a upper level drawing where the Cylinder Assembly is a sub assembly.

I should be able to add a custom property to the Cylinder Assembly,

Cylinder-Bore

Cylinder-Stroke

Then in the drawing I should be able to select for this list something to the effect "Selected Assembly or other drawing view" which is not a option, hence my wanting it added.

then at that point I should be able to add a note and attach a leader to any component/part of the Cylinder Assembly and add something similar to this and get it to display on the drawing:

BORE: $tbdMODEL:"Cylinder-Bore"

STROKE: $tbdMODEL:"Cylinder-Stroke"

The tbdMODEL is the variable we need to add.

Currently the only way I can do this is to add those fields to each component of the cylinder assembly.

Hopefully this make a little more sense.

Regards,"

Deepak Gupta

Jim Moses wrote:

Then in the drawing I should be able to select for this list something to the effect "Selected Assembly or other drawing view" which is not a option, hence my wanting it added.

I've seen you reply and the idea but I'm still not able to understand the requirement (I may be wrong). Have you seen the video I posted above where I've added a note inside a top level assembly drawing with property linked to sub assembly property?

Jim Moses

Deepak,

It is like I said, if I want to add to each cylinder assembly or any assembly usually purchased and want a field to populate a note on a drawing I have to enter that field into each part/component of that sub assembly for that to work,(which is what I am currently doing, which is a waste of time) when I should be able to add it to the sub assembly and be able to selected it or part custom property from the list.  (Either part or sub-assembly custom property)

Most of this is, not something that is contained in a BOM, but more for controls engineering to understand the design intent and for end users to understand things without having to check in several places for information. Also the more places I have to copy it the more chance of bad information or something fat fingered that can cause issues.

Regards,

Jim Wilkinson

Jim Moses wrote:

Deepak,

It is like I said, if I want to add to each cylinder assembly or any assembly usually purchased and want a field to populate a note on a drawing I have to enter that field into each part/component of that sub assembly for that to work,(which is what I am currently doing, which is a waste of time) when I should be able to add it to the sub assembly and be able to selected it or part custom property from the list. (Either part or sub-assembly custom property)

Most of this is, not something that is contained in a BOM, but more for controls engineering to understand the design intent and for end users to understand things without having to check in several places for information. Also the more places I have to copy it the more chance of bad information or something fat fingered that can cause issues.

Regards,

Hi Jim,

I posted a reply in the original idea, but can't attach files there, so I'm also posting here. Deepak showed how to do this in his video. Maybe the confusion is that it says "Selected component or other drawing view" in the dialog. The term "component" in SOLIDWORKS means part OR sub-assembly. Here is a screenshot of choosing that option, then choosing a sub-assembly from the drawing tree, and then choosing a property from the sub-assembly to use in the note.

SubAssemProps.png

In this drawing, I've simulated adding the two notes, both with the file property names that you want, and both selected from a sub-assembly but the note leaders are attached to different parts within the sub-assembly and the drawing view is of a higher level assembly containing the sub-assembly. You should be able to do this with sub-assemblies at any level; the key is picking the sub-assembly you desire from the tree. In this case, there are NO file properties in the individual parts or top level assembly, they are both in the sub-assembly. I have also attached the drawing, assemblies, and parts so you can open it and hover over the note to see the syntax that was added when I used these selections. It has a $COMP syntax in there to indicate where the property value should come from.

I hope this helps,

Wilkie

Deepak Gupta

Jim Moses wrote:

Deepak,

It is like I said, if I want to add to each cylinder assembly or any assembly usually purchased and want a field to populate a note on a drawing I have to enter that field into each part/component of that sub assembly for that to work,(which is what I am currently doing, which is a waste of time) when I should be able to add it to the sub assembly and be able to selected it or part custom property from the list. (Either part or sub-assembly custom property)

Like shown in the video and Jim Wilkinson also stated, SW is treating both part and sub assembly as component in drawing. So that might be what is confusing you. Can you try the steps in the video or what Jim has explained and share if that still doesn't work the way you want.

Glenn Schroeder

Deepak Gupta wrote:

Jim, please check attached video if that it what you're looking for? If not then edit the idea and add more details, pictures to explain.

Thank you Deepak.  I didn't know we could link notes to custom properties of sub-assemblies, but the video does a good job of showing how it works.  I don't generally have properties in my sub-assemblies, but it's still good to know.

Glenn