5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 13, 2018 10:36 AM by Sean Trainor

How can I create a cruciform joint

Sean Trainor

Attached is my attempt at creating a cruciform join between two beams. The idea is that the horizontal beam has two vertical inserts which make it appear that the vertical beam carries on through. It has been designed in such a way that the vertical inserts are inserted from the back and then welded so the final result is seamless. Some beams have already been fabricated in this way so I am trying to produce drawings to ensure future results are consistent. I plan on inserted each weldment into a new part and converting to sheet metal in order to get the flat pattern of the vertical inserts and also the beams.

What I would like to know is:

• Is there a better approach to get the result I'm looking?
      • Is using weldments and then converting to sheet metal the correct approach for getting the flat patterns?
      • How do I tidy up what I've already done? The vertical inserts have a step in them (see picture attached), and there isn't much of a weld seam on the back (picture attached). I think what I've done so far is ok for a visual, but it's not ready for a fabricator.

Any advice, recommendations etc are appreciated. 

• Re: How can I create a cruciform joint
          Kevin Chandler

Hello,

I don't work weldments, so I'll pass on that, but before you convert to sheet metal (if that's the workflow), don't use what you have as it's not the correct size. With the yellow flush, the back and opposite side (red) are in the metal. Plus, there's gaps at the other end.

Instead of using the body as a convert, I'd just make the infill as straight sheet metal.

It's a base flange and an edge flange, cut.

Easy to tweak to get your weld spaces, lengths, etc.

And it's the same thing for others of different lengths, so it's fairly easy to get a part of another length.

To get the flange length, I used equations based on the measured normal distance of 67mm.

Kevin

You can also use your beam profile as the sketch for your infill panel as an extrude.

Then cut it and convert.

Sean Trainor

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for your reply. I think using the beam profile to create the infill member would probably be the quickest and easiest. Below, you can see the information I've been given to work with. I've used this to create the weldment profile and that allows me to easily create the lengths, cut-list etc.

So I can create a beam member, and I can use the information below to create an infill member, but what I'm struggling with is how to place the infill into position and use this to cut out the correct profile in the beam. These infill members are to be inserted into a cutout slot in the beam from behind and welded.

Should I insert the infill part into the beam member file so I'm working with multi-bodies and then use combine tool to subtract it from the beam? Or am I over complicating this?

Beam Profile.JPG

Kevin Chandler

Sean Trainor wrote:

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for your reply. I think using the beam profile to create the infill member would probably be the quickest and easiest. Below, you can see the information I've been given to work with. I've used this to create the weldment profile and that allows me to easily create the lengths, cut-list etc.

So I can create a beam member, and I can use the information below to create an infill member, but what I'm struggling with is how to place the infill into position and use this to cut out the correct profile in the beam. These infill members are to be inserted into a cutout slot in the beam from behind and welded.

Should I insert the infill part into the beam member file so I'm working with multi-bodies and then use combine tool to subtract it from the beam? Or am I over complicating this?

Beam Profile.JPG

I do sheet metal as assemblies mostly instead of multiple bodies because assembly mates are easier than move body.

Perhaps do this as an assembly and then dissolve it(?).

Someone more versed in multi bodies and weldments may be better suited to advise you.

Igor Fomenko is quite skilled with weldments. Perhaps he can help you more.

Kevin

Igor Fomenko

Your way is right IMHO, I don`t see the opportunity to simplify your way.

You`ll get flat patterns in derived parts ("Insert into new part" or "save bodies" commands).

Sean Trainor

Thanks Igor Fomenko and Kevin Chandler for your help. I've produced something using sheet metal. I just couldn't get the steps right using weldments and a body of the infill. I'm still not 100% happy with the final result but hopefully the fabricators have enough information.