13 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2018 9:30 AM by Sergio Monti

Looking for Implementation Schema for Solidworks BOM for a small design and build shop

Robert Conklin

I am looking for an implementation schema for the utilization in the real world of the Solidworks BOM for a small design and build shop for special, one of, design and build of custom machinery for the manufacture, assembly or test of our major customers product.

Our customers have put forth general specifications as to how they would like the final drawing packages. Basically, how they should be numbered and organized, how the title blocks should be filled in, how a BOM should appear on the assembly drawings, how there should be a top level BOM on every sub-assembly that has the sub-assemblies called out along with any other parts used in the sub-assembly. AND that there should be another sub-assembly drawing, a duplicate of the first, that has on it a “SUMMERY BOM” that gathers up the parts from all the sub-assemblies used in the sub-assembly that will show the total quantities of each part that will be required to make up the sub-assembly. 

They also require a master assembly that has on it all the components that would make up the machine and a drawing of it and on it a top level BOM that has the sub-assemblies called out along with any other parts used in the master assembly.  AND another drawing of the master assembly that has on it a “MASTER SUMMARY BOM” that will show the total quantities of each part that will be required to make up the machine. 

But, our customer, has not directly specified how to utilize a particular design package to accomplish this. For their vendors/bidders/ie… shops like ours could use any one of many design software packages.  (But most use Solidworks) It is up to the shop that gets the job in how to assign custom properties in the model what to call/name them etc…  So one shops schema for doing things is not compatible with another’s even if they are both using Solidworks.

The “MASTER ASSEMBLY”, the top level assembly, is what would be used for a Pack-N-Go to gather up, into one subdirectory, all that would be the deliverable” (solids & drawings) documentation when the machine is shipped.

The customer has bought the design, he owns the files.  He can subsequently release an RFQ for another machine that is the same, or be slightly different, to produce a similar product.  He will release this drawing package, with its solids/drawings, the next time to the lowest bidder to be used as the basis for the requested newly designed machine.

We would like to comply with our customers wishes.

I can handle the design, the adding of custom properties, the auto filling of title blocks on drawings with info from the model, the generation of BOMs on the assembly drawings.

The difficulty as I have is in producing the “MASTER SUMMARY BOM” that will show the total quantities of each part that will be required to make up the machine.

I can create a “MASTER SUMMARY BOM” that is “INDENTED” BUT this is not gathering the total quantities of each part that will be required to make up the machine.  I would like these individual unique items each on its own line with a “TOTAL REQUIRED QUANTITY” for the machine.  How to get Solidworks BOM to do this is the question. 

I know I can export the SW BOM to excel, manually manipulate it, edit it, and re insert it back into the Master Assembly drawing BUT I lose the all the relationships to the “ITEM NUMBERS” for ballooning purposes on the assembly drawing/s.  How to get Solidworks BOM to do this?

Prior to this latest request to have the software generate the BOMs they were all done and submitted as  separate “divorced” excel spread sheets.  Most often it was just the one “MASTER SUMMARY BOM” that was submitted in an excel format using their BOM templet.

I do not want to implement PDM or any such for these are a one of or at most 4 of machines AND they are not my drawings or models. I deliver them to my customer with the machine. After which I have no access to the files or to his vault, even if he has one, which is highly unlikely.  (Note: My customer is one of what once comprised the “BIG 3” and I am not going to have a chance in….   to change their mind on how they should standardize things. They think outsourcing is their salvation. I should not complain, it keeps me employed I just want to stay that way and make it easy.) 

upon looking / searching I find

Scott Moore  has a solution in Combine all parts in BOM

But still is there an easer way?