9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2018 7:02 AM by Dave Bear

Bodies still refuse to intersect/ combine

Joe Tonkin

Hi all,

I'm still wrestling with trying to convince two bodies that they really want to be one single body.

Please see the attached file.

The Outlet needs to join to the Main Body.  I've tried both 'Intersect" and "Combine", but they don't work. I've even tried checking and unchecking the various options within those features, but still nothing. Most of the time, I either get a very generic (and unhelpful) "failed to complete" message or our favorite "geometric condition" error. With the latter, I want to believe that the bodies are just touching along a thin edge in a few places. Then my thought is to try to extrude the mating surface back a little bit  (normal to the "Front" plane) so that it more solidly intersects the Body. However, when i try to do the extrude, it also fails.

I'm guessing that it has something that's going to involve surfaces. I can do a little bit with them, but I'm by no means an expert. There's still a lot that I don't fully understand. As an aside, please suggest some good tutorials on surface modeling.

I've rebuilt this model from scratch a couple of times but it still doesn't cooperate. I've spent a good three days on it and other projects are piling up. We do a fair number of these types of parts and I seem to run into this problem relatively often. I would appreciate any help/ suggestions.

Thanks much.