17 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2013 3:18 PM by Jim Bovenmyer

Wacom Tablets-Solidworks

Aaron Baumgartner
      So i was just wondering if anybody is using these? I picked up one last night to use at home, so far like it. Its nice for programs like PS where the brushes can be pressure sensitive. I have not tried to too much with SW yet, besides simple commands (drawing lines, circles). wireless mouse and pen with no batteries.
        • Wacom Tablets-Solidworks
          Pete Yodis
          Can't offer any comments, but it would be neat to see one of these eventually run Windows 7 with the touch portions of the OS being more mainstream now.
            Dale Dunn
            I have an Intuos 3, but I never use the stylus with SW. Right- and middle-click are too awkward for me. Anyhow, even splines don't wrok well with "sketching" in the traditional artistic sense, so the stylus has no advantages in SW.

The 5-button mouse works well though, since it can't get dirty and skip. Dirty and sticky, yes. Skipping, no. I took the formerly fuzzy bottom off and put teflon pads ("mouse skates") on instead. Absolute positioning versus relative is nice, but not essential. People who don't get it won't borrow your computer.
              Charles Culp
              At SWW, SW and Microsoft had some of the Microsoft Tables with some sort of eDrawings package that they custom built for a touch interface. It was pretty interesting, although still very klunky. It took a few "touches" to get it to do what the demonstrator wanted. Apple & HP both ordered touchscreens for delivery late this year, so home computers may have touchscreens by Christmas (think 10"); so this may be the way of the future. It still needs some work, though.
                  Tony Parker

Charles Culp wrote:

At SWW, SW and Microsoft had some of the Microsoft Tables with some sort of eDrawings package that they custom built for a touch interface. It was pretty interesting, although still very klunky. It took a few "touches" to get it to do what the demonstrator wanted. Apple & HP both ordered touchscreens for delivery late this year, so home computers may have touchscreens by Christmas (think 10"); so this may be the way of the future. It still needs some work, though.

Great, Charles. Now instead of Carpal Tunnels, we'll all be suffering from Cad Elbow or SWorks Shoulder.........
                      Charles Culp

Tony Parker wrote:

Great, Charles. Now instead of Carpal Tunnels, we'll all be suffering from Cad Elbow or SWorks Shoulder.........

Actually, they'll just finally invent 40" touchscreen monitors, and we will go back to using "pencils" on "boards", except it will all be electronic!
                          Tony Parker

Charles Culp wrote:

Actually, they'll just finally invent 40" touchscreen monitors, and we will go back to using "pencils" on "boards", except it will all be electronic!

Ahhhh......what's old is new again! Touchscreen sliderule, Charles? ; )

I don't want to steer this thread too far off course.....by business partner (Industrial Designer) is using a Wacom Cintiq , and likes using SolidWorks moreso with the actual touchscreen than with the Intuos tablet. It's pricey, but recommend it for those using SolidWorks along with other programs (Sketchbook Pro, Adobe Suite, etc) to to generate concepts / presentation graphics.
                              Adrian Velazquez
                              If the only Design Software is SolidWorks I wouldn't invest on a WACOM, but if you have something Adobe Illustrator a WACOM would be money well spend. You could freehand your curves in AI and bring them into SW.
                                  Roy Potter
                                  I used a WACOM tablet for sometime as it was more accurate than a mouse (and I could use it my LH). The main drawback was the lack of buttons to programme. Also the design of the buttons made the pen awkward when trying to RMB over an object. (I have a LH lase mouse now. Loadsa buttons).

We use to use a light sensitve pen on the screen (1986ish), it was very intuitve much more control than a mouse. Would be great to see how the touch screens workout. However I hate all those finger prints on the screen.
                          Tom Nicholson
                          I'm intrigued.. Went ahead and picked up the cheapo model from amazon.. I'll post back how I like it..
                            Tom Nicholson
                            I went with the "cheapo" $70 version.. couldn't see spending $200 on something that I might not like and give to my kids to destroy.. lol
                              Kevin Quigley
                              I use the wacom Intuos 3 Wide format tablet tied to a 24" HP widescreen display. You need to marry up the tablet format to the display format so a standard tablet tied toa widescreen display you end up either distorting the relationship between tablet to display, or you lose the top and bottom bands of the tablet.

To be honest there is little benefit in using a tablet with SolidWorks at the moment except maybe for detailed spline use. To be worthwhile you really need to have an application that responds to the pressure sensitivity and angle of the pen - like Painter or Photoshop. Some polygonal modelling systems do use the tablet and new concept modellers like MOI are designed specifically around it.

I think there was a discussion about this a while back and I suggested then that there are some functions in SW that could be made to work with a tablet - like freeform where increased pressure increases the effect of the deformation, or even variable radius fillets, where you can sketch alon an edge and the more pressure you apply the bigger the radius.

Personally I prefer the tablet to the Cintiq as you can see the whole image you are working on with the tablet, whereas the Cintiq (aside from the bulk and cost) needs a lot of manipulation (like pen and paper).

If we do get small lightweight high resolution touchscreens these would be great, but I've not seen any decent ones yet.

This might interest yiou though:

http://macbooktouch.com/mactouch/

or one you can buy now:

http://www.axiotron.com/index.php?id=152
                                Tom Nicholson
                                Well it just came in today.. and I like it.. Going to take a bit of getting used to, but I can see if I need to draw something freehand that its going to make things much easier than the mouse.. as for replacing my mouse.. maybe, only time will tell.. its going to be a slow transition if any..
                                    Rob Wolkers
                                    I work with a Wacom Cintiq 21ux, it's a great tool for Corel Painter (freehand sketching) and Photoshop work. For SolidWorks there is no real benefit (yet), a trackbal plus the 3D SpaceExplorer work better and faster for me.

But I really can't wait to get my hands on this software: www.ilovesketch.com

This is the missing link between freehand sketching and 3D CAD, if only this could be integrated in SolidWorks soon...
                                    Steve Lovell
                                    I tried a wacom tablet for a time to try and combat a bout of RSI I was suffering from. I used it in conjunction with a free gesture recognition program called stroke-it (yes really). In the end the buttons on the pen were just to awkward for long term use for me. I now use a Evoluent vertical mouse as well as my space explorer, the mouse has five custom buttons and is proving very comfortable to use.
                                      Tom Nicholson
                                      Yea, I dont see any real benifit, maybe if I could train myself to use it exclusively.. But there is some photoshop/paintshop stuff I need to start doing, and it should really help..
                                        • Re: Wacom Tablets-Solidworks
                                          Jim Bovenmyer

I started out using an old Graphire 3 and used it for Solidworks regularly.  I now use a Intuos4 with a SpaceNavigator on the left hand.  I love the combo.  I have always programmed the pen buttons as down button = right click and up button = double click.  It has greatly helped me with my RSI.