11 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2018 4:26 PM by Kevin Nash

Solidworks remains open in background after closing program

Alex Lachance

Hello,

I've had this intermittent problem for a while tough it seems to be happening a lot more for one particular user then for the rest.

So my problem is this. Sometimes, when I close SolidWorks, the program closes but the process remains active until I shut it down manually. What this causes is that the new session that gets opened won't do auto-saves because of the other session hanging. SolidWorks is a hefty program that takes a lot of ressources from a computer so what this also causes is that it'll ''overload'' our CPU and RAM as in that the process eats up ram and CPU until it gets shut down.

I was wondering if anyone ever had the problem and knew what caused it and/or how to fix it. I have a co-worker which has to manually close the process up to 5-6 times a day because it just doesn't shut it down. The process takes up sometimes up to 25% RAM and 20% CPU so it slows everything else down until you close it.

I've had this problem on 2013, 2014, and 2016 so far. Have ran them on Windows 7 and Windows 10 and get the problem on both also.

• Re: Solidworks remains open in background after closing program
          Alex Burnett

From my experience, the program seems to keep a process hanging when an add-in or macro runs but doesn't dispose of the objects correctly. If the object is hanging in memory then solidworks stays open.

Aside from that, there was an instance where I was working with a complex part file and trying to import dimxpert objects into the drawing automatically. When I updated the drawing to refresh the dimensions, SolidWorks would crash but leave the process running in the background.

It's hard to say what could cause it without knowing more about your or your coworker's workflow.

Do you have custom add-ins or macros? Is it one particular file that seems to give you grief?

Shaodun Lin

Could you report this issue to VAR?

It never happens to me.

Alex Lachance

My guess, as Alex Burnett stated, is it is probably caused by our third party program that generates our properties(CustomTools). Either that or the macro that we use to send stuff to our E.R.P.

I will forward this to CustomTools, would you like me to report it to my VAR still?

Edit: Here is a few screenshots showing the issue occuring. In this case, it was caused by a setting in SolidWorks, don't know which tough. The reason I say it was caused by a setting is that I fixed the problem by restoring the settings to our default settings of 2016.

I was trying to open a drawing of an assembly we use for the layout of our stickers. While trying to open the drawing, it would prompt me to save or discard a certain assembly. No matter if I saved or discard the changes, the opening action would interrupt itself and I wasn't able to open the drawing afterwards. When I closed SolidWorks, the process hung

Window prompting me to save popped up. I pressed Discard changes. Program continues responding, the load bar at the bottom left corner is still present tough it doesn't load anymore.

If I press on X to close the program, it prompts me to save or discard changes. No matter which I select, the program does what I ask, then closes but the process remains hanging.

Here is the process still running without SolidWorks running

rKeNf5o.jpg

Alex Burnett

It appears from your screen shots that CustomTools is an add-in that loads with SolidWorks since the icon is in your task pane on the right hand side. If that's the case, it's likely that the add-in is watching events to try and gather the current model data whenever something changes. This requires creating and disposing of objects constantly. All it takes is one missed object in one function within the program that isn't disposed in order to cause something like this to happen.

Have you tried to go into your add-ins menu and disable CustomTools and follow the same workflow that your screenshots show? Does it still hang?

Danny Edwards

When I open multiple  big assemblies I would also get where SW would stay open in my Background after closing. Mostly because I would reach over 50% ram on my machine.

Kevin Chandler

Hello,

Sysinternals (bought out by MS has Process Explorer Process Explorer - Windows Sysinternals | Microsoft Docs (no install, just run).

It's Task Manager +++.

After it starts, select "Show Lower Pane":

Then select SW in the upper pane and all of its related stuff is shown in the lower pane.

Close SW the normal way and watch Process Explorer.

SW and it's dependent(s) in the upper pane should go away as should all of the stuff in the lower pane.

If anything remains, perhaps this will be a further clue to the mystery.

EDIT:

If you don't want to keep seeing this:

Right-click the EXE file and select Properties. Check Unblock and then Apply & OK.

(This is the 32 bit version, I already did this for the 64 bit EXE)

Kevin Chandler

There's also "openfiles.exe" which will show what's open and by whom/what.

It's an MS command line tool.

Kevin

Kevin Nash

I think you need to install a service which can close the unwanted service running in background. One that can detect that you have closed the complete program and could prompt you if you would like to shut down relevant service as well. There are such utilities available on the internet. Try one available on this website: https://www.coolutils.com/