10 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2018 12:33 PM by Mike Flanders

Changing Reference Planes

Mike Flanders

I would like to make a macro that goes down through my part and switches a reference plane from what its currently to the front plane. I have the coolant holes right now based off one X-Hole 1 Rotation plane and the other 8 sets are set to the same. More and more customers are basing them off 0° and giving each plane its own degrees° value.

switching xhole plane.JPG

• Re: Changing Reference Planes
          Fifi Riri

Hello, try this

Option Explicit

Dim swApp As SldWorks.SldWorks

Dim Part As SldWorks.PartDoc

Dim Feature As SldWorks.Feature

Dim swRefPlaneData As IRefPlaneFeatureData

Dim boolstatus As Boolean

Sub main()

Set swApp = Application.SldWorks

Set Part = swApp.ActiveDoc

'boolstatus = Part.Extension.SelectByID2("X-Hole 1 Rotation", "PLANE", 0, 0, 0, False, 0, Nothing, 0)

If Part.SelectionManager.GetSelectedObjectCount2(-1) <> 1 Then

MsgBox ("Select a plane to modify")

Exit Sub

End If

Set Feature = Part.SelectionManager.GetSelectedObject6(1, -1)

Set swRefPlaneData = Feature.GetDefinition

boolstatus = swRefPlaneData.AccessSelections(Part, Nothing)

boolstatus = Part.Extension.SelectByID2("Front Plane", "PLANE", 0, 0, 0, False, 0, Nothing, 0)

swRefPlaneData.Reference(0) = Part.SelectionManager.GetSelectedObject6(1, -1)

boolstatus = Feature.ModifyDefinition(swRefPlaneData, Part, Nothing)

End Sub

Mike Flanders

This works for the first one. The planes are always called out the same thing. Could this be written to walk down and change all 10 of these planes without the interaction of selecting each of them first?? I see I missed the first one you did (X-Hole 1 Rotation)

10 rotational planes.JPG

Fifi Riri

Option Explicit

Sub main()

Dim swApp As SldWorks.SldWorks

Dim swModel As SldWorks.ModelDoc2

Dim swFeat As SldWorks.Feature

Dim swRefPlaneData As IRefPlaneFeatureData

Dim FeatName As String

Dim boolstatus As Boolean

Set swApp = Application.SldWorks

Set swModel = swApp.ActiveDoc

Set swFeat = swModel.FirstFeature

Do While Not swFeat Is Nothing

If swFeat.GetTypeName2 = "RefPlane" Then

FeatName = UCase(swFeat.Name)

If (InStr(FeatName, "X-HOLE") > 0 Or InStr(FeatName, "XHOLE") > 0) And InStr(FeatName, "UNEQUAL") > 0 Then

Debug.Print FeatName

Set swRefPlaneData = swFeat.GetDefinition

boolstatus = swRefPlaneData.AccessSelections(swModel, Nothing)

boolstatus = swModel.Extension.SelectByID2("Front Plane", "PLANE", 0, 0, 0, False, 0, Nothing, 0)

swRefPlaneData.Reference(0) = swModel.SelectionManager.GetSelectedObject6(1, -1)

boolstatus = swFeat.ModifyDefinition(swRefPlaneData, swModel, Nothing)

End If

End If

Set swFeat = swFeat.GetNextFeature

Loop

End Sub

Mike Flanders

This Macro does indeed do exactly what I'm trying to achieve with one exception. For some reason it renames the rotation value name to a default "D1" variable name. This breaks the link into my configuration table so this variable isn't controlled without re selecting them in the table. I went in and double checked this feature change and it doesn't change the variable name and all remains in my table.

The two pictures illustrates a before and after the macro is hit.

unequal dissappearing.JPG

after macro.JPG

Fifi Riri

Add this at the end of the macro, to change the names:

Dim myDimension As SldWorks.Dimension

Set myDimension = swModel.Parameter("D1@X-Hole 2 Unequal")

myDimension.Name = "2nd XHole Unequally Spaced"

Set myDimension = swModel.Parameter("D1@X-Hole 3 Unequal ")

myDimension.Name = "XHole 3 Unequal (<)"

Set myDimension = swModel.Parameter("D1@X-Hole 4 Unequal")

myDimension.Name = "XHole 4 Unequal (<)"

Set myDimension = swModel.Parameter("D1@X-Hole 5 Unequal")

myDimension.Name = "XHole 5 Unequal (<)"

Set myDimension = swModel.Parameter("D1@X-Hole 6 Unequal")

myDimension.Name = "XHole 7 Unequal (<)"

Set myDimension = swModel.Parameter("D1@XHole 7 Unequal")

myDimension.Name = "XHole 7 Unequal (<)"

Set myDimension = swModel.Parameter("D1@XHole 8 Unequal")

myDimension.Name = "XHole 8 Unequal (<)"

Set myDimension = swModel.Parameter("D1@XHole 9 Unequal")

myDimension.Name = "XHole 9 Unequal (<)"

Set myDimension = swModel.Parameter("D1@Xhole 10 Unequal")

myDimension.Name = "XHole 10 Unequal"

Solid Air

Could you simply rename your hole features with the angle they are put in at instead of creating a bunch of unnecessary planes?

Mike Flanders

This part template is a worse case scenario part. I has every imaginable feature built into it. Those planes are not the angle they are put in at. They are the rotation from the flute face and so many customers these days are using whats called MQL "minumum quantity lubricant" and it is very crucial the rotational placement of these coolant holes. I use these macros to delete unnecessary features, planes and reference geometry to "dumb" the model down to only what parameters/features it  needs. I have developed to be very quick. I can design customer cutting tools in almost any configuration in just a few minutes once "dumbed" down and using the configuration table as a drive table. The table before any of my macro sequences has four times the variable lines lines in it. one I run the macros to break down the options I want it automatically cleans up my configuration tables like the bottom photo with only parameters I am dealing with.

CONFIG TABLE SIZED CENTERED.JPG

Capture.JPG