6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 2, 2018 11:40 AM by Shawn Stugard

Anybody has experience using SW via VPN

Peter Cohen

Hello, anybody has experience using SW via VPN? Will using SW via VPN slow down the processing and makes real-time manipulation of 3D objects slow?

• Re: Anybody has experience using SW via VPN
          Alex Burnett

In my experience, the file transfer to PDM such as Get Version or Check-In/Check-Out take a good amount of time more than when I am at work. However, once all of that is done then I don't notice any degradation of performance.

If you don't have PDM and you're using VPN to work with files that are located on a server then I feel that would be a big performance hit and potentially open you up to issues with communicating with a file that is not local.

Dwight Livingston

Peter

I often use VPN working on a laptop from home. I find Toolbox and Hole Wizard will cause the biggest slowdown, so I have a little .REG file that switches my Toolbox and Hole Wizard pointer from our server at work to a local folder on my laptop. I can't make final drawings because the Toolbox properties aren't right, but I have another .REG file for when I get back to work, and then everything switches back to the correct properties just fine.

Dwight

Shawn Stugard

VPN is not so bad, except the aforementioned network speed issues, but remote desktop or other remote control software is unbearable.

Peter Cohen

How does this work? IT at school told me that I can either buy my own or use the version at school via VPN. In this case, do I store the files locally on my laptop or  in the server at school? I don’t use PDM but I am concerned that models/assemblies may not move or scale at fast as if I were installed SW on my laptop locally.

Given that the student version is not so expensive, is it worth to use the laptop be at school via VPN?