10 Replies Latest reply on Nov 2, 2018 11:29 AM by Kevin Chandler

Custom sheet metal table

Josee Laplante

Hi to all,

I want to create a custom bend sheet metal table but I don't know how. I looked at the ones available in program files thinking I could start from those. But ended up more confused.

I want to select a material from a list then the gauge required. The result would automatically input the thickness and bends based on the table parameters. I have an excel file serving as a reminder sheet that I consult every time I do sheet metal parts but I'm sure I could incorporate this info in SW. I just need to know how to present the information so SW recognizes it. Unless it's more complicated than that and requires programming skills.

• Re: Custom sheet metal table
          Kevin Chandler

Josee Laplante wrote:

Hi to all,

I want to create a custom bend sheet metal table but I don't know how. I looked at the ones available in program files thinking I could start from those. But ended up more confused.

I want to select a material from a list then the gauge required. The result would automatically input the thickness and bends based on the table parameters. I have an excel file serving as a reminder sheet that I consult every time I do sheet metal parts but I'm sure I could incorporate this info in SW. I just need to know how to present the information so SW recognizes it. Unless it's more complicated than that and requires programming skills.

Selecting a material and a gauge from a list of gauges corresponding to the selected material isn't possible in SW.

Search the forum on "gauge table" for more info.

Kevin C.

Jim Steinmeyer

You are going to appreciate that they are already in excel sheets. Below is the location that the sheetmetal tables are placed with a standard SW install. I have copied the gauge table and created both a sheet and a plate table.In your case I would use a different table for each material type. You will then be given the choice of which table to use when editing  your sheet and you can select the material you are using to give the desired thickness.j

Capture.JPG

Untitled1.png

Untitled.png

Josee Laplante

Thanks Jim, it works good

I tried to add more columns but they don't show in the Property Manager. We have two K-Factor depending on which supplier will fabricate the part. I would of liked to incorporate this rather than input manually. Can it be acheived?

Jim Steinmeyer

I am afraid that would probably take another set of tables for materials by vendor.

Maybe there is material here for a Top 10 idea.

Shawn Stugard

"We have two K-Factor depending on which supplier will fabricate the part."

I'm curious, do you provide the flat patterns to the suppliers? Normally I'd let them determine the flat they need to meet spec.

Josee Laplante

Up until now we kept SW default K-factor of 0.5 and don't create flat patterns but SW does it regarless. Recently suppliers have been complaining about that because they need to rework our models to accomodate their K-factor. So we are talking about options but I feel we should not change anything because as modelers we are not aware who will fabricate.

Jim Steinmeyer

Josee Laplante wrote:

Up until now we kept SW default K-factor of 0.5 and don't create flat patterns but SW does it regarless. Recently suppliers have been complaining about that because they need to rework our models to accomodate their K-factor. So we are talking about options but I feel we should not change anything because as modelers we are not aware who will fabricate.

Josee,

I would agree with you on that. Especially if you have different vendors. While they can be similar, they will all be a little different. You can use the logic that if you give them a model and a flat pattern you could conceivably be giving them 2 different sets of conflicting dimensions. If they form the part using your flat pattern dimensions and the material stretches different, or their procedure causes a difference you can get parts that do not match your desired finished drawing. They will be correct in arguing that they followed your flat pattern dimensions so the part is made to print.

As mentioned above, search the forum for bend tables. there are several people here that have worked with precision forming and they all say that you should bend several test coupons for each material and generate specific bend calculations based on actual results not standard tables. Here we do all our forming and our shop refuses to change the knife or die for anything 14ga to 1" so we just use the standard table and let the shop "make things fit".

Shawn Stugard

The rule in every place I've worked is all driving dimensions are on the formed part. If we provide a flat pattern, all those dimensions are reference. Most of the time, we avoid putting anything but overalls (ref dims) on the flat. This forces the supplier to make the parts to the dimensions we care about.

I agree with Jim's statement wholeheartedly. 

"...if you give them a model and a flat pattern you could conceivably be giving them 2 different sets of conflicting dimensions."

Kevin Chandler

Shawn Stugard wrote:

"We have two K-Factor depending on which supplier will fabricate the part."

I'm curious, do you provide the flat patterns to the suppliers? Normally I'd let them determine the flat they need to meet spec.

Hello,

I'll agree with the others.

Dimensioning the flat pattern is like dimensioning the stock for a machined part as it comes through the rolls.

Drawings and specs are legal documents so specify what the final product must be, not some interim step such as a cut blank.

That said, I do dim the blank with reference dims for blank yield so quotes are a little easier.

You can also add cut list properties to the flat pattern that has data to improve the quote process.

Only available with a flat pattern view selected and with cut list in the part on auto update.

Again, add a note stating these are for reference only.

Kevin

Arthur McRae

We have a similar situation.  We have a couple different machines that have different bending factors and so we choose the table for material.  Either our Aluminium sheet stock or steel sheet stock, then we choose both the machine and thickness the part will be made on.  The table will allow you to have multiple sections at the same thickness spec.  This allows us to specify in our case that some of the part is done on one machine then the rest is finished on the second.