10 Replies Latest reply on Nov 2, 2018 1:40 PM by Kevin Berni

Exit sketch 2018 mouse gestures

Sarah Dwight

So I have a problem as I re-establish my mouse gestures within the new 2018 drag-and-drop setup.

I cannot find the icon that lets me exit a sketch AND SAVE the changes.

The exit sketch w/o saving is cool, but not what I need.

It used to be that the "Insert Sketch" icon would exit the sketch, now it just opens a panel of sketch tools...

The other obvious icons, like "Escape" don't work either.

How can I exit a sketch and save my changes without moving up to the far top corner?

• Re: Exit sketch 2018 mouse gestures
          Glenn Schroeder

Hello Sarah,

My settings work to start a new sketch, save changes and close a sketch, or edit a sketch if one is selected.  Yours seems to be opening the Sketch toolbar.  I have no idea why.

Kevin Chandler

Hello,

I do this in SW2018 using a keyboard shortcut instead of gestures, but I just checked and my Shift+F2 only edits an existing sketch if selected.

Prior to SW2018, it behaved as Mr. Schroeder posted above.

Also, if I'm remembering correctly, Mr. Schroeder on another post, showed the green check as a gesture.

It consumes a gesture slot though.

Kevin

Andreas Rhomberg

ctrl+Q, will also exit the sketch on rebuilt.

I only use this to exit in Parts or smaller Assemblies, not typically on larger Assemblies in content.

Jim Wilkinson

Sarah Dwight wrote:

So I have a problem as I re-establish my mouse gestures within the new 2018 drag-and-drop setup.

It used to be that the "Insert Sketch" icon would exit the sketch, now it just opens a panel of sketch tools...

How can I exit a sketch and save my changes without moving up to the far top corner?

Hi Sarah,

My guess is that you chose the wrong Sketch command. You want the Insert Sketch one, not View Sketch which is under the toolbars section (see image below). Replace it with the correct one and it should work for Insert/Edit/Exit sketch.

customize.png

I hope this helps,

Jim

Kevin Chandler

Jim Wilkinson wrote:

Sarah Dwight wrote:

Hi Sarah,

My guess is that you chose the wrong Sketch command. You want the Insert Sketch one, not View Sketch which is under the toolbars section (see image below). Replace it with the correct one and it should work for Insert/Edit/Exit sketch.

customize.png

I hope this helps,

Jim

Jim Wilkinson, thank you!

This fixed my keyboard shortcut as well.

Kevin

Heiko Sohnholz

Yes, that's the right icon. Sketch means "new sketch", when you don't have one, and "exit sketch" when you are in a sketch.

Sarah Dwight

Wow, I had really thought I used the correct Sketch icon.... but apparently not.

I deleted the icon and dropped in both to verify.

You are correct, View Sketch shows/hides the toolbar, while Insert Sketch exits as desired.

Huh... I guess this is the only instance where I liked the columns and rows better than the drag-and-drop...

Even with the same icon it was clear which one you had chosen for the mouse gesture.

There is no way to tell the difference between the two icons now. Even the hover says just "Sketch" on both.

Thanks Jim! Problem Solved!

Jim Wilkinson

Sarah Dwight wrote:

Wow, I had really thought I used the correct Sketch icon.... but apparently not.

I deleted the icon and dropped in both to verify.

You are correct, View Sketch shows/hides the toolbar, while Insert Sketch exits as desired.

Huh... I guess this is the only instance where I liked the columns and rows better than the drag-and-drop...

Even with the same icon it was clear which one you had chosen for the mouse gesture.

There is no way to tell the difference between the two icons now. Even the hover says just "Sketch" on both.

Thanks Jim! Problem Solved!

For initially picking the command to drag and drop, the information presented is the same as the old dialog; it has the category in the first column, the bold sub-headings where appropriate (as shown in my snapshot and yours above) and if you click on a command in the grid, it will show the long description in the description area at the bottom.

I do agree that once a command has already been assigned, it is not as easy to tell what command it is because hovering over it only gives the short toolltip. If it also showed the long text (like it does when on a toolbar and "large tooltips" are turned on), then that would alleviate that problem. This is a regression of sorts because less information is now presented for already assigned gestures. I would suggest submitting it to your VAR with the suggestion that it could be solved by using large tooltips when hovering over the icons in the "Mouse Gesture Guide" dialog. I've also copied Kevin Berni so he is aware.

Thanks,

Jim