14 Replies Latest reply on Nov 2, 2018 3:21 PM by Artem Taturevych

Select Normal

alia sfaxya

Good morning, i 'm trying to determine the normal of part in solidworks using this algorithm in vb.net :

swModel = swApp.ActiveDoc

swAssy = swModel

swModel.ClearSelection2(True)

swDocExt = swModel.Extension()

boo = swDocExt.SelectByID2("part@assembly", "COMPONENT", 0, 0, 0, True, 1, Nothing, 0)

Dim vNorm As Object

swModel = swApp.ActiveDoc

swSelMgr = swModel.SelectionManager

swFace = swSelMgr.GetSelectedObject6(1, 0)

vNorm = swFace.Normal

Debug.Print("Normal = (" & vNorm(0) & ", " & vNorm(1) & ", " & vNorm(2) & ")")

but, i got an error in red line : Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

• Re: Select Normal
          Marco Maso

Are you sure that swSelMgr.GetSelectedObject6(1, 0) actually returns a face?

Please try the following macro:

Dim swApp As SldWorks.SldWorks

Dim swModel As SldWorks.ModelDoc2

Dim swSelMgr As SldWorks.SelectionMgr

Dim selectedFace As SldWorks.Face2

Dim vNorm As Variant

Sub main()

Set swApp = Application.SldWorks

Set swModel = swApp.ActiveDoc

Set swSelMgr = swModel.SelectionManager

Set selectedFace = swSelMgr.GetSelectedObject6(1, -1)

vNorm = selectedFace.Normal

swApp.SendMsgToUser ("Normal [" & vNorm(0) & ", " & vNorm(1) & ", " & vNorm(2) & "]")

End Sub

Select a face in Solidworks and launch the macro. Beware that the macro will fail if:

• nothing is selected
          • the selected object is not a face
              alia sfaxya

Hello,

i replaced swSelMgr.GetSelectedObject6(1, 0)  by swSelMgr.GetSelectedObject6(1, -1)

but, it showed me this error :

Can not cast a COM object of type 'System .__ ComObject' to interface type 'SolidWorks.Interop.sldworks.Face2'. This operation failed because the QueryInterface call on the COM component for the IID interface '{4A8BA4D8-DA25-4B75-8E2D-4922B74D81ED}' failed because of the following error: This interface is not not supported (HRESULT exception: 0x80004002 (E_NOINTERFACE)).

Marco Maso

Are you sure you are selecting a face?

Please try this macro, I added some extra checks.

Dim swApp As SldWorks.SldWorks

Dim swModel As SldWorks.ModelDoc2

Dim swSelMgr As SldWorks.SelectionMgr

Dim selectedFace As SldWorks.Face2

Dim vNorm As Variant

Sub main()

Set swApp = Application.SldWorks

Set swModel = swApp.ActiveDoc

Set swSelMgr = swModel.SelectionManager

If swSelMgr.GetSelectedObjectCount2(-1) > 0 Then

If swSelMgr.GetSelectedObjectType3(1, -1) = swSelectType_e.swSelFACES Then

Set selectedFace = swSelMgr.GetSelectedObject6(1, -1)

vNorm = selectedFace.Normal

swApp.SendMsgToUser ("Normal [" & vNorm(0) & ", " & vNorm(1) & ", " & vNorm(2) & "]")

Else

swApp.SendMsgToUser "Invalid selection (" & swSelMgr.GetSelectedObjectType3(1, -1) & ")"

End If

Else

swApp.SendMsgToUser "Nothing selected"

End If

End Sub

If you don't select a face the macro will warn you with a "Invalid selection (*)" where * will be the selection type you are actually selecting instead of the face. You can check which entity you are selecting by checking the returned selection type (if you get the error) with the list on 2018 SOLIDWORKS API Help - swSelectType_e Enumeration .

alia sfaxya

i got this response :

as you said, i this it's a problem of selection, i tried with this algorithm to select automaticly the face of the part :

swDocExt = swModel.Extension()

boo = swDocExt.SelectByID2("part@assembly", "FACE", 0, 0, 0, True, 1, Nothing, 0)

but, igot the  same error.

Josh Brady

You are going to have to figure out how to select a face programmatically, or you are going to have to pre-select a face before running the macro.

Figuring out which face to select using code is difficult.  Does your part have only one face?  If not, how in the world do you expect this code to select the face you want?  You should pre-select the face before running the code.  You should probably use Marco's code.

Attilio Colangelo

It appears you are trying to get a face by name.  If so, from the documentation for SelectByID2

"To get IFace2, IEdge or IVertex objects by name, use IPartDoc::GetEntityByName or IPartDoc::IGetEntityByName."

so you would NOT use SelectByID2

(I have been down this road many times)

You need to name the face first interactively. However this will not work at the assembly level, only IPartDoc.

Gertjan Van Dijk

This is something i struggled with for a while as well.

The problem is that (at least up to SW2017), "ModeldocExtension.SelectByID2()" does not, in fact, select Faces. if you debug and check the value for 'boo', you will see that is becomes/stays "false".

To select a face in this way, you will need to use "ModeldocExtension.SelectByRay()".

This method requires you to first know the coordinates of a random point on the face, which is a challenge in itself.

Artem Taturevych

Check this thread about detailed explanation of selections: Selections in SOLIDWORKS API