2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2018 5:30 AM by Heikki Jalonen

Sub-assembly within a top assembly: "Assembly Feature" hole within a subassembly punches the whole upper world...

Heikki Jalonen

Cutting an equipment case opening inside a sub-assembly, a sheetmetal frame (Assembly Features/Extruded Cut, with appropriate skecth).  Then getting back up to Top Assembly.  And vóila: adjacent subassembly (the poor equipment case) which should sit in the newly made opening is also cut within the given cut rules - the very rules in the frame assy and nowhere else.

Have I misunderstood the entire idea of assembly features?  Are they just "features"?  "Feature Scope" doesn't help, since while working with the sub  it offers no options concerning to upper level structures - of course, why should it?  But why in the heck the cut then impacts, not only upwards but also laterally?  What went wrong, what should I do?  Turn back to AI?

(SW 2017, SP5.0, Win7)

• Re: Sub-assembly within a top assembly: "Assembly Feature" hole within a subassembly punches the whole upper world...
          John Stoltzfus

Could you upload any pictures?  The model, your feature tree etc....

Also there are options to pick from when doing a cut extrude feature in an assembly, you can choose which parts you want cut and you can also propagate the cut back into the part files if you want.

• Re: Sub-assembly within a top assembly: "Assembly Feature" hole within a subassembly punches the whole upper world...
              Heikki Jalonen

John, thank you for your interest!  Sorry, I can't upload that model or pictures, they're third party things.

Have hit this problem twice - on both cases the culprit assembly was an Import, containing a number Solid Bodies.  And they were the very entities the openings were needed.

Yes, I'm aware about the Feature Scope option.  But, in those cases - and in every case, of course - you can't set the lower level scope to inc/exc upper level assemblies or their parts.  This is - and definitely must be - impossible.  Regardless, it happens.

I tried to make a some simply assemblies of some existing own right parts I had, but I wasn't able to reproduce the problem.  The mentioned imports were not involved in these trials.  And as they are third party intellectual property, cannot submit.

Again, I'm about to suspect the display driver.  WYSINTT, "What You See Is Not The Truth".  Drawing or doc.properties do not show missing bodies or loss of mass.  The latter should be present if any real cutting took place.