12 Replies Latest reply on Mar 13, 2019 10:03 AM by James Moynagh

Solidworks 2019 on Microsoft Surface Pro 6

Matthew Henion

1) Solidworks has added support of the Microsoft Surface Dial to Solidworks 2019, but they still don't list any Microsoft products as "certified" - do we know if they plan on certifying any of the Microsoft devices?

(The Surface Book and Surface Studio are shown as "Tested" and able to run Solidworks but not "Certified" - and there is no mention of the Surface Pro)

2) Has anyone tested Solidworks 2019 on Microsoft Surface Pro 6? Would a SP 6 (2018) with Intel UHD Graphics 620 perform better then a SP5 (2017) with Iris Plus 640?

Is seems the only issue with running Solidworks on a non-certified is the lack of "RealView Graphics" (which to me is not an issue at all, I never use it even on my beefed up Quaddro system), and supposedly a less stable environment - so in theory based off the SW system requirements of 3.3 GHz Processor & 16 GB Ram it should work.

3) How much space is required to install Solidworks? I can't seem to find this spec anywhere.

4) I've heard there's been changes to how the license sharing works in recent years - is there an easy to follow reference anywhere for if/how I could share my main license with a 2nd (or even 3rd) device?

Thanks!

• Re: Solidworks 2019 on Microsoft Surface Pro 6
          Michael Lord

Matthew,

Whilst I can't give you direct answers to you questions I do have SOLIDWORKS running on a similar HP Spectre.

Whilst I don't use it for production work it has had very little issue over the past 18mth or so

SOLIDWORKS on a HP Spectre x360 #SOLIDWORKS | Michael Lord

If you want you can easily get RealView to work

SOLIDWORKS RealView – For All. Non-Approved Graphic Cards #SOLIDWORKS | Michael Lord

Harry Port

I have the same question but let's simplify it a little bit. Does anyone know if solidworks 2018/2019 runs well on the new surface pro 6?

I'm considering buying the fanless i5 quad core, 8gb ram version for doing basic SW modelling. Can anyone please advice?

Dave Bear

Hi Harry,

I don't use a Surface Pro but I just wanted to put it to you that 8Gb Ram is on the light side for running SW2018/2019.

Just my 2 cents.

Dave.

Harry Port

Ok, thanks. Mind you, I will be using SW for easy modelling and only every now and then. The i7 16gb is nearly 1.5 times the price of the i5 8gb ram!

Some people say SW should run on the i5 8gb version but no one can actually confirm this...

Dave Bear

Harry Port wrote:

Ok, thanks. Mind you, I will be using SW for easy modelling and only every now and then. The i7 16gb is nearly 1.5 times the price of the i5 8gb ram!

Some people say SW should run on the i5 8gb version but no one can actually confirm this...

I for one definitely understand a 'budget' Harry, but the 1.5 x cost just might bring you longer use and also if you find yourself becoming addicted to SolidWorks your skills are going to progress into bigger and better functions and skills that might just warrant that extra power. Penny wise, pound foolish as they, easy said from a pauper like me........... Just thoughts...

Dave.

Harry Port

Cheers Dave I know what you're saying but the thing is, I'm not a professional sw user, building big assemblys every day. If this was the case I would've bought a desktop pc with i7 processor 16gb ram etc, not a surface pro tablet.

So I'm just curious if there is anyone out there who installed sw on the new i5 surface pro 6? How does it behave? According to the reviews the sp6 is a lot faster than its previous model, quad core vs dual core...

Dave Bear

Harry Port wrote:

Cheers Dave I know what you're saying but the thing is, I'm not a professional sw user, building big assemblys every day. If this was the case I would've bought a desktop pc with i7 processor 16gb ram etc, not a surface pro tablet.

So I'm just curious if there is anyone out there who installed sw on the new i5 surface pro 6? How does it behave? According to the reviews the sp6 is a lot faster than its previous model, quad core vs dual core...

Fully understand mate, but trust me, you'll get hooked........... lol

Dave.

Michael Lord

Harry,

I don't know if you have read my post above and my link to SOLIDWORKS on a HP Spectre x360 #SOLIDWORKS | Michael Lord

It is not the same but similar specifications

Simply put SOLIDWORKS will run on anything.

How it runs will depend entirely on what you are modelling.  Large Assemblies will use RAM but so will a single part with thousands of features.  It is also be determined by the type of features, Patterns will work CPU hard along with RAM

I would have some concerns about it being fan-less.  CPU will generate heat if it is being pushed to operate at maximum speeds.

Although I refer back to my first statement that SOLIDWORKS will run just about on anything I would suggest that you are better upgrading from Windows Home to Pro.  Then as with any new computer I would uninstall every trial software and any other software not directly related to running what you need.  The Surface come preinstalled with lots of rubbish.

Harry Port

Hi Michael Lord, thanks for your answer. One thing I don't get is why would windows 10 pro be better than home? I understand a fresh install without the pre-installed rubbish is better but other than that what does pro do what home cannot do?

Btw, looking at your link, I'm really nothing near to what you've created. Maybe I will draw a car phone holder one day, I think the biggest assembly I ever made was smaller than 15mb. My main purpose for buying the Surface pro 6 (fan less i5) is to do other light stuff but if SW could run on this device it would be a big bonus to me! As I understand from your story it should be just fine?

Harry Port

According to the link below, sw does not run on windows home versions ?!    Can anyone confirm?

I'm considering now to buy the Surface pro i7 16gb ram 2017 version over the surface pro 6 i5 8gb ram....

https://www.javelin-tech.com/blog/2017/11/solidworks-2018-hardware-recommendations/

Todd Blacksher

Harry Port wrote:

According to the link below, sw does not run on windows home versions ?! Can anyone confirm?

I'm considering now to buy the Surface pro i7 16gb ram 2017 version over the surface pro 6 i5 8gb ram....

https://www.javelin-tech.com/blog/2017/11/solidworks-2018-hardware-recommendations/

I don't know the "fine details" about the differences between the "Home" version and the "Pro" version of the Microsoft Operating Systems, but I do know that the Home version is significantly "stripped back" and doesn't have all of the features of the Professional version. I have only purchased the Home version once, and I will never make that mistake again. Similar to learning from that mistake, I also learned a long time ago that it is less expensive and frustrating to pay a little more upfront for a better computer. There are ways to save money and get more computer for your hard earned dollar. Even if you are only going to use SOLIDWORKS in a limited amount on your new computer, it would be nice to not have that experience marred by a "lesser machine."

(In addition to running SOLIDWORKS better, it will also run all of your other programs better - the money you save on aspirin should make up the difference.)

James Moynagh

We are looking to go paperless sin our design office and the surface pro in theory would be ideal. I'm new to them so don't really know much about the different versions etc. Wondering is anyone running Solidworks on it, whats the highest spec pro you can get because the shop's highest spec is the minimum spec required for Soldiworks, and I was also hoping to run AutoCAD on it.

I've asked our IT to cost up the highest spec and straight away they came back with

"That said, I would not put Solidworks on either. It is a very intensive application and needs loads of memory and high end graphics. Also, the below is the spec for it to run and remember this is just Solidworks only. There is also Cad and other applications required to run.

They need Workstations or Workstation Laptops."

Laptop/workstation wouldn't work for our paperless option as too much of a risk for checking drawings.