7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 6, 2018 7:52 AM by Jay Seaglar

Adaptive method option not displayed

Camill Trueeb

I am exploting the deformation of a squared silicone block and would like to use adaptive methods to refine my mesh, but I cannot find this option.

I am using Solidworks 2018 education version, does anybody have an idea how I can activate it? This is how the simulation properties of my solid body look like: (see picture attached).

simulation_options.PNG

• Re: Adaptive method option not displayed
          Kieran Young

Hi, it appears that you are setting up a nonlinear study. The option for adaptive meshing is only available in static studies which is why you will not be able to see it.

One idea might be to run a static study using the adaptive meshing technique then simply copy the study creating a nonlinear analysis with the same meshing parameters as created by the adaptive mesh.

Hope this helps.

Camill Trueeb

Hi, thanks for the answer. Since I am running a static nonlinear study I thought it should work.

Thank you for your hint, this already works pretty well. One more thing: If I copy the study, will it use the results from the static study in the non-linear study? In other words, should I delete the results from before and only use the mesh?

Sorry for the confusion, I am new to Solidworks.

Regards

Kieran Young

I can see why you might think that but unfortunately not.

As to the results, when you copy the study and change the analysis type to nonlinear the results will not get copied over as they were not calculated from a nonlinear analysis. Therefore, it will only be the study setup and the mesh that is carried into your nonlinear study.

Camill Trueeb

One last thing I have to ask. To simplify the study I am trying to define one part in the assembly as rigid. It seems with rigid bodies you cannot use adaptive method. Can you think of a way to turn a body into rigid after adapting the mesh? If I Change anything in my assembly, SW always requires remeshing for the Simulation. But there has to be a way to keep parts of my mesh.

Kieran Young

I have never noticed that the option for adaptive meshing is not available when incorporating a rigid body however, with the addition of the rigid body the model will always need to be re-meshed as the contacts need to be recalculated depending on this change. All I can think of for this would be to use the option to exclude body from analysis and simply use constraints to replicate the rigid body, this way you are still able to use the adaptive method. If you post a screenshot of what you are simulating it may be a little easier to provide any suggestions.

Camill Trueeb

Hi! Thanks for your answers. I am testing the deformation of a hyperelastic Silicone, under normal force applied with different indenters (see attached Image for spherical indenter). I cannot think of constraints replacing the indenter... Since I have to simulate the indenter on multiple locations, I am trying to mimnimize the simulation time, as I still find it hard to get the solution to converge with bigger deformations. But it seems I cannot exclude the indenter from the Analysis with making it rigid and use adaptive methods at the same time. So right now I am doing a static simplyfied analysis to get the mesh and copy the mesh into a nonlinear analysis.SW_demo.PNG

Jay Seaglar

Here is an alternative approach to ensuring that a body does not deform without actually using 'Make Rigid': apply a custom material with an Elastic Modulus that is extremely high relative to actual materials used in the study. Select the Intel Direct Sparse solver in study properties because sparse solvers are recommended for studies where material properties vary significantly. This may require some trial and error, though some customers have used this approach successfully.