My guess is that you didn't deactivated your license from your laptop
If this depends on a curriculum requirement then get the school involved.
SW won't generally listen directly to students, only education "officials".
Press the issue or don't...and fail your course.
You need to contact your reseller (VAR), but since its a student version, i would contact your professor or IT administrator.
The activation codes, have some how been used too many times.
I had the same problem and it took one phonecall to fix it.
Again i suspect that you di'dint diactivated your license from your laptop.
My adivice is that:
Install your solidworks again in your laptop use your serial number then connect to the internet so that you can recover your activation (pray that it will work since you remove the registration key entries). If it works then you can safety deactivate your license from your laptop. Now try to activate your desktop.
Option 2: (Last resort)
Give a call in your var to deactivate your license which is tied to your Hard Drive. The back draw of this which i do not recommend is that once the SW license was Force deactivated by solidworks people. You cannot install solidworks forever in your laptop unless you will change your hard drive.
I know this because i have an issue of our server that the harddrive failed. I contacted our var and the send me a letter that i signed that i can no longer install solidworks in my machine. So if you want to install solidworks in your laptop again you need to change your hard drive/ssd/m.2
I had the same problem and found the following solution on-line . . . . it worked for me:
I was able to get my Student Edition Solidworks functional. All I had to do was re-activate my license using an app in the Solidworks directory. Before you do this, make sure your SN has been entered using modify option in Windows Add/Remove programs.
Here's what I did:
1. Open a folder in windows and navigate to the Solidworks install directory. Should be something like "C:\Program Files\SOLIDWORKS Corp\SOLIDWORKS".
2. Find the file called "swactwiz_s.exe" and double click on it. You should get a dialog that says "Solidworks Product Activation", select "Activate/Reactivate your product license(s)".
3. Click "Next", verify "Automatically over the internet (recommended)" is checked.
4. Click "Next", this should show your contact and school (EAA for us) information.
5. If that's all correct, click next. The app should connect to Solidworks and re-activate your license.
Hope this works for you.