5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2018 3:41 AM by Rob Edwards

Create feature driven joint in members

Cole Domenico

Hello! I was wondering if there is a build in feature in solidworks to create a joint between two members. As of now, the members are a part of the same body.

Here is a picture of what I have now, and a picture of what I am trying to make.

If there is a way, I was wondering if it would make sense to split the bodies first. Anyone know of an easy way to do this?

-Cole

• Re: Create feature driven joint in members
          Tom Gagnon

I know of no way to achieve that custom joint automatically within weldments. Sharing your file or at least an image of your feature tree, as well as specifying the year of SWx you're working with, shows us adequate context of what you're working with. I proceed with assumption of nominal lumber wood profiles in weldment features. I'm running SWx 2018 SP2.

I tried this, and did not get easy results.

I Isolated the 'branch' member and made this sketch on its end face:

joint1.JPG

I extruded non-merging boss up to outer stringer face:

joint2.JPG

I used Combine feature, operation type Subtract, upon the outer stringer by the bosses just created. I was disappointed that the cutting bodies were consumed by the Subtract, as at first I tried merging the additional bodies with the branch member, and then the whole branch member disappeared after Combine.

joint3.JPG

Because the additional bodies were consumed, I recreated them from a second boss-extrude reusing the same sketch, only this time merging it with the branch member.

joint4.JPG

End result:

joint5.JPG

You can try patterning or reiterating the base sketch across multiple members, to achieve patterned results without patterning the features, to apply this to multiple members in the same few steps.

I am unpracticed in wood lumber as weldments, particularly with joinery applied. John Stoltzfus or others should know more about this than I do, or a much better way to achieve it.

Cole Domenico

Thank you! I was hoping there was a faster way to do this, but your method definitely worked.

I followed what you did except I used indent instead of combine on subtract mode to prevent the extruded body from being consumed. Other than that, the process was the same.

answer_to_jointing_question.PNG

I am curious if there are any other ways of doing it that could be faster.

Tom Gagnon

Nice use of Indent there to prevent the consumed bodies. I wouldn't have thought of it since I consider it a Sheet Metal tool.

I'm also curious if others have improvements.

Dave Bear

Tom Gagnon wrote:

Nice use of Indent there to prevent the consumed bodies. I wouldn't have thought of it since I consider it a Sheet Metal tool.

I'm also curious if others have improvements.

Hi Tom

Personally, I think that the "Indent" tool is very underrated. It took me a bit to get use to using it efficiently (probably still not using it to it's full ability) but it's really helped me in certain aspects. Just FYI

Dave.

Rob Edwards

Hi Tom

for complicated wood joints I like to use boss extrude merge result (or move face) with the up to body end condition.

The beauty is you only have to model the cutout... and this can change

Now this example is a bit complicated with the target body being turned into a surface so I can use merge result in a parametric pattern.

Honestly this would be overkill for the OP's situation.

I would just use 1 sketch and 2 cut extrudes with regions.

It would be very nice if there was an automatic way to do these joints!