7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2018 9:05 PM by Damir Galic

dimensioning profiles

Damir Galic

Hi,

is there a way to dimension profiles as shown below (automatically)? If I write x40x2 by hand the dimensions will not update if I change profile, so it would need to stay linked.

60x40x2, meaning dimensioned = 60, not visibile = 40, thickness = 2

also assuming it was a pipe it would be <MOD-DIAM>60x2

Another way could be having something like thread callout, so it would write profile name to secondary dimension... ?

• Re: dimensioning profiles
          Glenn Schroeder

Create it as a weldment using the Structural Member function.  Create properties in the .sldlfp files that are driven by the dimensions and then those properties will be carried over to the Part as cut list properties, which can be called out in a parametric Note in the Drawing.  (This Part is all plate, and I used it because it was handy, but this workflow is also commonly used for structural steel, pipe, lumber, etc.)

Glenn Schroeder

After writing the above, I realized that while it would be a good method going forward, it won't help you right now with this project.  So here's another option.  If you don't already have them, insert the individual dimensions in the Drawing.  Start a Note, and with the text edit active click on a dimension.  That will place the dimension value in the Note.  Add all the dimensions you need in the Note.  When you're finished you can right-click on the dimensions and choose "Hide" from the drop-down.  If the model is edited so that the dimensions change the Note will update.

Sergio Monti

This is very helpful Glenn.

I sometimes need to add the PCD to a hole callout. I tried, with no luck, pulling the PCD dimension inside the hole callout; I ended up writing manually the PCD dimension, losing the parametric connection.

After your post, I found that I can use your method, pulling hole callout and PCD dimension inside a note, then hiding them. It works. The note keeps the parametric link.

Thanks Glenn.

Damir Galic

I didn't try but are the property names transfered from .sldlfp? In design library I could then just save annotation which would then read dimension from property.

Rubén Rodolfo Balderrama

Maybe if you call the description name, you could obtain the value as you need it.....I'll made some test on it...

Yes I did it....

You could add the lenght dim if you need it

Steve Calvert

So when you say "Profile", this is the first thing that pops into my head.  These are sketch dimensions brought into the drawing.  Is this what you're looking to do?

Steve C