14 Replies Latest reply on Oct 30, 2018 12:04 PM by Stacey Boudreaux

featureworks

Stacey Boudreaux

I am need of .sldprt files for an outside engineering company.  I have a 3d solid model generated by AutoCAD.  No intelligence, just plain jane extrusions, subtractions, revolves, etc.  Obviously, autocad cannot export  to a .sldprt file.   so i thinking to try the following:

1. open solidworks insert  dwg file as 3d curves or model.  then run featureworks. 

2. open autocad and export the file as a ACIS (.sat) file.  open solidworks and insert the file.  save the file as .sldprt.

1. after bringing in the dwg model and running featureworks on it.  there now is an array of features like fillets, chamfers, etc that are filed in disarray. 

holes that I had threaded are not recognized as threads, etc.  I'm not sure the engineer that needs the file can use it like this.  but it can be saved as a .sldprt file.

2.  after bringing in the .sat file, everything was converted to a surface.  I'm not sure if the engineer that needs this can use it like this.  but it can be saved as a .sldprt file.

any suggestions

• Re: featureworks
          Frederick Law

Inventor could open AutoCAD solid and save it as STEP or Parasolid.

Try open the DWG directly in Solidworks, it might import the solid.

Stacey Boudreaux

thanks for the reply Mr. Law.  If I'm understanding you correctly, I did in fact open the dwg in solidworks and upon running featureworks on the part, it did run successfully.  but i noted in the hierarchy list of the part the features that it did in fact find were spread out in no order.  seems like solidworks still understands the parent/child affiliation but it's not orderly.  also, the threads I had placed in the bolt holes were not recognized as such.  the engineer that needs these files is going to  be running stress analysis and other engineering integrity routines.

just not sure if having the part in solidworks and being able to save it as a .sldprt is good enough.  I may be looking too close to it.

John Stoltzfus

Stacey Boudreaux - Not seeing the component.....  But what I always did in that situation was to create three views (top, front, right), in AutoCAD and moved the sketches to a common 0,0,0, then basically used those sketches to make a "New" part in SW, because mostly the outside of the part is what's needed, for visual and for clearances etc...

Stacey Boudreaux

thanks John, I appreciate you taking the time to reply.   all what you wrote is good stuff and I use that method with any 3d if I have the 2d layout.  maybe that is the trick.  but I'm under a time constraint.  so I was looking for the quickest method.  I've been using different model software for years but just getting on solidworks, so my confidence level is not too high.

Jim Sculley

Stacey Boudreaux wrote:

2. after bringing in the .sat file, everything was converted to a surface. I'm not sure if the engineer that needs this can use it like this. but it can be saved as a .sldprt file.

any suggestions

Check your Import Options: