9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2018 4:53 AM by John Wayman

PDM Viewer Users - what can they see?

John Wayman

I want to have our Project Engineers and Procurement using PDM to get information. However, I want to keep a lid on anything that is not in the 'Released' State from going out of the factory.

I think Procurement is fairly straightforward. They need access to Released stuff so they can buy it.

Project Engineers are somewhat different. (I suppose that is both a specific and a general statement...)

If I do the obvious: limit it so that Project Engineers can only view the contents of files in the 'Released' State, then the Project Engineers will complain that they have no visibility of the project as the design progresses, until it is arguably too late; however, if I let them see CAD files at other States, sooner or later someone is going to copy a file from PDM and send it to their customer, or other interested party, even though it has not been released.

I know Standard Operating Procedures should prevent anything of the sort from happening, but, when the customer is squealing, one of them will weaken, I know they will.

Is there a set of permissions I can apply to PDM that enables Project folk to rummage through the designers' business, but that prevents them from doing anything other than looking at it wistfully?

I can't figure it out. I'd appreciate some advice.

What do you do?

SW2018, SP4

PDM Standard 2018, SP4

Widnows 10 Pro

Cheers,

John