8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 8, 2018 1:51 PM by Dennis Dohogne

Top Ten List - Suggestions

Dennis Dohogne

Hopefully by now you have all had a chance to go here: SOLIDWORKS World 2019 Top Ten List (TTL) and start looking these ideas over.  Idea submission ends on December 12th and voting opens December 13th.  Between now and the 13th there will probably be around 1,000 ideas posted!

Here a few suggestions to help you get the most out of the list and to help SWX help us.  

1. BOOKMARK the ones you like as you read them.  It will shorten your work significantly when it comes time to vote. 

2. Submit your own ideas.  Be sure to make the description clear and thorough, giving examples where appropriate.  Be open to suggestions for modifying/improving the idea.  PLEASE USE A GOOD DESCRIPTIVE TITLE.  Remember, the TTL is an acknowledged, but informal Enhancement Request system.  Being an informal system you do not get an ER nor an SPR number assigned to it and the whole TTL is removed forever from our view shortly after voting ends.  However, the TTL is much easier to navigate and comment on than the formal Enhancement Request system, making for better use and better shaping of the ideas.

EDIT:  Submit ANY idea you have for improving SWX.  ANY idea.  It does not need to be one that is so fantastic it is sure to be in the top ten of the final votes.  This is a golden opportunity to easily tell SWX developers what can improve the software.  The added benefit of doing it here on the TTL is that others can easily chime in with their comments to add their voices and help shape the idea.

3. Add constructive comments to the ideas.  These comments help to clarify and shape the idea.  This is a huge help to SWX since it gives them a better definition of the idea and as they say, a problem well defined is a problem half solved.  Please minimize the replies that are merely conversational, or worse, off-topic.

4. Keep a log of your own ideas and even of others that you really like.  Myself, I copy and past the ideas into a Word document each year called SolidWorks Top Ten List 2018 Suggestions.docx (changing the year of course). This way I can see what I submitted or ideas from others that I saved from previous years.  It also makes it easy to submit something I submitted before.  Remember, the more it shows up on the radar screens at SWX the more likely it is to get implemented.

5. Be a conscientious voter.  Do not vote based on anything other than your desire to see the idea implemented.  Please do not vote based on popularity; (there have already been many suggestions to eliminate visibility of the votes just to help with this).  The votes mean something to SWX so they should mean something to us as well.  Though it is nice to have your own idea, or even one you voted for, show up in the final top ten, really you should use your vote (and comments) as a voice to tell SWX how much you need a particular idea to be implemented.

Carry on. 

• Re: Top Ten List - Suggestions for Anyone Reading This
          Dennis Dohogne

Please add to the suggestions.  Until SWX fixes the TTL/ER/KB systems we have to do our part to make the most of it.

Matthew Lorono

When perusing Ideas of Top Ten, change your sort order to make sure you are seeing different ideas.  Depending on the page you are on, you can sort by creation order, activity, score and title.

Dennis Dohogne

Matthew Lorono wrote:

When perusing Ideas of Top Ten, change your sort order to make sure you are seeing different ideas. Depending on the page you are on, you can sort by creation order, activity, score and title.

Matt, you opened a subject about the sort options.  They have always been weird, and still are.  When I just opened up the page this was my initial/default sort list:

and things were not sorted by latest activity so I clicked on Sort by latest activity; newest first and got this:

and everything was sorted by score.

Expanding that dropdown I now see an entirely different list from the first one:

and this is the only set of choices I have for the remainder of this session.  Notice there was not even a Sort by score (or by votes or by comments) choice in the initial list.

Since I am keeping up with the TTL I don't need to see the things I have already reviewed, thus I am always wanting to Sort by latest activity; newest first.  But I have to hit that sort list a few times until it stabilizes on and delivers that choice.  WTH?!

While we are on it, what is the difference between Score and Votes?

It would be nice if any sort can be toggled to reverse the order, i.e., newest/oldest, most/least, A-Z/Z-A.

I don't know if the TTL and the webhosting is your area of responsibility, but since you are engaging this conversation I trust you to notify whoever is responsible for these issues.  Many thanks for that!!

John Stoltzfus

Matthew Lorono - I try to update my Excel Spreadsheet on a daily basis, except weekends..  Working with a Excel file it's much easier to find, sort and the hyperlink pulls it up in you internet browser...  It would be great if we would have that same search power for not only the Top Ten, but the entire Forum..

Matt Peneguy

Read through them and don't make a duplicate of another Idea.  The SW team has enough work to do.

Glenn Schroeder

I wanted to mention that just this year I decided to try Following the Top Ten section in my Inbox so I can review new Ideas as they come in.  If there's one I like I can open it from there and Bookmark it.

Rick McDonald

Glenn Schroeder wrote:

I wanted to mention that just this year I decided to try Following the Top Ten section in my Inbox so I can review new Ideas as they come in. If there's one I like I can open it from there and Bookmark it.

I have the inbox option checked from most people I am following or certain posts. 

Very often I do not have SWx running actively as my day consists most often of other tasks.

However, my email is ALWAYS open.

I have a separate SWX Forum folder in my Outlook list that all SWX Forum post automatically are sent to instead of my standard "InBox" Then I have sub folders for different subjects that I can move the post to if i want.

In my "All Mail Items" section I have a separate folder for SWW 2019 Top Ten for easy searching and viewing.

Makes life much easier.

• Re: Top Ten List - Suggestions
                        Dennis Dohogne

The way I follow the TTL is to go in each day and sort by latest activity.  I then review the ideas until the date/time of the last time I checked.  In that way I only have to review what is new to me.  I comment on those where I have something constructive to add and bookmark those I want to vote for.  Think of it as marking the sample ballot for early voting, similar to what many of us just did for this recent election.

As of this posting there are 280 ideas.  Keep them coming!!

Even if you have an idea that has been formally submitted through the ER system you can (and I advocate that you should) post it in the TTL.  Do this for the simple reason to get more visibility and support for it.  Nobody surfs the ER system to just browse for ideas, but that is exactly what we can do with the TTL.  And you know what?  We find ideas we hadn't thought of and we can vote them up.  Pretty cool!!