7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2018 4:22 PM by Kevin Chandler

Half of my drawing missing in flat pattern

Daniël Van Tielen

Hi everyone,

I recently started working with solidworks. Usually it seems im doing fine, but this time i really hit a brick wall.

After i added the beadwelds, i safed the document, then later i wanted to check my flat pattern to make sure it can be made.

To my surprise; half of it is missing. It seems to be the first half of the sketched bent thats gone and i have no idea how to get it back.

I have added the file.

All help is welcome ! Tnx in advance !

• Re: Half of my drawing missing in flat pattern
          Bill Toft

I see you are a student and this forum is a great place to get advice, especially since you have uploaded your part file.

A good trouble shooting technique is to use the Rollback bar so that you can check each feature from the start. Often an earlier problem affects later features.

When I did this (starting with Sketched Bend1), I added an Unfold feature, and had it collect all bends. Wanted to see if the part would flatten.

At the next feature (Edge-Flange1) this Unfold failed.

My investigation discovered your problem is with the sketches you are using for your flanges, You have dimensioned the line that meets the existing part. And these dimensions are LONGER that the part's edge. My fix was to DELETE that dimension. And add Coincident relationships between sketch ends and the edge of the existing part. Now the Unfold feature worked.

Another sketch had a Fix relationship. NEVER use Fix! Instead use relationships.

I looked at your other Edge-Flange features and they have similar problems with their sketches.

So work on fixing all those sketches (and test with the Unfold feature), Then let us know the result.

Daniël Van Tielen

Hello Bill

You're right about me being a student, roughly for 2 months now. I have noticed this forum is indeed a great place for help and advice.

The steps you have described don't seem to work for me. Using the rollback bar and making an unfold feature would work for me perfectly with all flanges, offcourse I had Rubén's solution supressed.

I still followed your next steps. The coincident relationships that I've tried didnt work, guess I'm doing something wrong. I did remove the dimension you spoke of. There was one way your coincident reltionship worked but this made me end up with too big gaps between the flanges.

Using Fix is a no go, I know.  I have defined my sketches differently now.

Tnx alot for your effort in helping me Bill

Greetings Daniël

Rubén Rodolfo Balderrama

Here is your blank

You have a Issue on Edge-Flange 1 there's a coalition on the unbending. I add a cut through and it was fixed it

Kevin Chandler

Hello,

I'm not a fan of sketched bends, so I generally avoid them if I can.

That said, I altered the sketch bend portion of the base flange so it was construction and added the solid top line.

Another recommendation:

Avoid duplicating dimensions that are to be the same value. If you change one, you have to hunt for and change the others.

Either equate the dimensions to one dimension (type = and click the one dim) or use relations (pick the two top endpoints and the vertical construction line and add a Symmetry relation).

This reduces maintenance and also adds design intent (in this case, symmetry) into the model so all know it's supposed to be symmetrical.

The construction line to the 250 dim also isn't necessary.

Then add an edge flange that's 125 long. Expand the Edge Flange tree and edit the first sketch:

Delete the vertical relation on each short side.

Select the upper left & right endpoints and the vertical line and add a symmetry relation. Dim the top line and set it to 75.

I hope this helps.

Kevin

Daniël Van Tielen

Hey Kevin

I have noticed that sketch bend isnt rly the easyest way. Reason i did it like that is becouse i started out with a 10 sided polygon and then cut it in half. The used dimensions helped shape the current model.

I rly like your recommendation about using symmetry and thinking about design intent. I had that in class last week.

Tnx alot for your effort, it's really appreciated

Kevin Chandler

Daniël Van Tielen wrote:

Hey Kevin

I have noticed that sketch bend isnt rly the easyest way. Reason i did it like that is becouse i started out with a 10 sided polygon and then cut it in half. The used dimensions helped shape the current model.

I rly like your recommendation about using symmetry and thinking about design intent. I had that in class last week.

Tnx alot for your effort, it's really appreciated

You're quite welcome.

Remember to search the forum too. Click the magnifying glass button in the upper right to start your search.

You appear to be a capable student/person.

You make an earnest effort before your arrival, you came prepared, you read and absorbed each post and you courteously replied to each.

You shall do well. All the best.

Kevin