12 Replies Latest reply on Dec 19, 2018 3:27 PM by Matthew Lorono

Offset Section

Chris Scougall

I am trying to create a section view with the cutting line that follows the red line in the below sketch. it passes through the center of the part. any thoughts, I'm sure this can be done, but I don't see it.  Late in the day and a bit of frustration is setting in.

• Re: Offset Section
          Andreas Rhomberg

try the aligned Section tool.

Samir Panchal

In this type of case, i usually do sketch first and then do section view by selecting created sketch.

Matthew Lorono

Samir,  I would advise against using sketches to make cutting lines for section views.  That is primitive pre-SW2013 method that requires a substantially greater amount of time to create and maintain.  Unless you have a specific and rare use case where you wish to foreshorten an aligned section (which is a no-no to the ASME and ISO standards), use the Section View Assist functionality in the Section View tool.

Chris Scougall

OK, I am back on this one. I gave up and put this drawing on the back burner because I was just not getting it. But now I have to figure it out. I am just utterly and completely stumped by this. all efforts to understand what was being explained in the responses here have met with totally failure on my part.

PLEASE HELP!!!

Glenn Schroeder

Try this:

1. Place sketch lines where you want the cut.
                    2. Ctrl+ select them, then choose the Section View tool.
                    3. You'll get this message: 

4.  Select the top option.

Chris Scougall

Glen, I didn't get the message about the legacy foreshortened view, but it works all the same.

Thanks millions

Glenn Schroeder

Chris Scougall wrote:

Glen, I didn't get the message about the legacy foreshortened view, but it works all the same.

Thanks millions

Glad I could help.  To be honest I'd never done a view like that, but just thought I'd try some things, and that worked.

By the way, I don't know why you didn't get the message.  I'd guess you're either using an earlier SW version (I'm on SW2018), or you've gotten it before and clicked on the "Don't ask me again" box, in which case it should be in your dismissed messages at Tools > Options > Messages/Errors/Warnings.

Matthew Lorono

Chris,  I know Glenn's comment may give you an immediate result, but its not correct unless I'm misunderstanding your request.  You are showing an Arc Offset in your original image.  This is already a tool in Section View and doesn't require you to create a sketch from scratch.  There is only a very specific use case where Glenn's suggestion should be employed, and your example doesn't seem to fit the bill for that use case.  Perhaps you can provide more detail as to why Aligned Section type with Arc Offset didn't fulfill you need?

Chris Scougall

It doesn't have to be an arc offset. I just had to get a section view that cut thru the 2 different slots. the top line is vertical, the shorter middle line is horizontal, and the bottom line is angled down to the center of the part. Using Glen's suggestion I got the desired result.

Matthew Lorono

Chris,  Whether you use an arc offset or a single offset, I would recommend using the Section View tool to create the cutting line. Sketching your own line is a lot more work, and using Foreshorten option should be avoided, particularly in the scenario in your original posting.

However, If you do wish to sketch your own line, make sure to use a construction line for offsets, so that those are not projected.  This makes the Foreshorten setting unnecessary.