45 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2018 5:11 PM by Edward Poole

New to SW2018.  Have questions.

Seth Renigar

First, I'm an extremely long time SW user.  Probably one of the longest (started using it 2 weeks after it was first released in 1995).

Prior to my current workplace, I always stayed on the latest and greatest release.  However, for the past 10 or so years at this company, we have always been kept 2-3 versions behind.

We have just recently jumped from SW2015 to SW2018 SP0.1.  It is very hard to keep up with what has changed version to version, when you skip so many versions like that.  There are some things that I can't seem to figure out in SW2018, that I'm hoping someone will be able to help me out with:

1. Sketch Dimensions:  While I'm editing a sketch, when I single click on a dimension, it automatically edits the dimension, but not in the full dimension editor like I'm used to.  Its' more like the way I remember when Instant3D was turned on in SW2015.  However Instant3D is not turned on.  I can double click the dimension to open the full dimension editor, like always.  But I don't want to single click into the Instant3D type of dimension editing.  This makes it very difficult to simply select a dimension (or multiple dimensions) when you may need to for other reasons (it automatically goes into this editing mode).  Is there any way to turn off this single click functionality, to make it work more intuitive, like it used to be?
      2. Edit sketch/Edit feature:  First let me say that I always have Context Toolbars turned OFF.  I don't like them (and haven't since they were introduced many years ago).  I prefer to simply see the regular text based menus when right clicking on items.  With that being said, when I right click on a sketch or feature in the Feature Tree, I get the text based menu options of either Edit Sketch or Edit Feature, as expected.  However, about 80-90% of the time, when I try either of these 2 commands, absolutely nothing happens.  It doesn't act like its even trying to do anything.  That is, until after I save the Part.  Saving the Part seems to fix this.  After saving, these 2 functions work fine.  That is until the next time I have to use them, and the cycle starts all over again.  I shouldn't have to save every time I want to edit a sketch or feature.  Plus, many times, I don't want to save (like when I'm experimenting with things that I may not want to keep).  Does anyone know what may be causing this?  I don't think this has anything to do with having the Context Toolbars turned off, as it does this even when they are turned on (using the toolbar icons).

I'm sure I will have more questions as I use this version a little more.  But those are the 2 biggest issues I have at this moment.

• Re: New to SW2018.  Have questions.
          Frederick Law

Any reason you don't use 2018 SP4?

You know, the first version has the most bugs.

Matt Peneguy

Seth Renigar wrote:

First, I'm an extremely long time SW user. Probably one of the longest (started using it 2 weeks after it was first released in 1995).

Prior to my current workplace, I always stayed on the latest and greatest release. However, for the past 10 or so years at this company, we have always been kept 2-3 versions behind.

We have just recently jumped from SW2015 to SW2018 SP0.1. It is very hard to keep up with what has changed version to version, when you skip so many versions like that. There are some things that I can't seem to figure out in SW2018, that I'm hoping someone will be able to help me out with:

1. Sketch Dimensions: While I'm editing a sketch, when I single click on a dimension, it automatically edits the dimension, but not in the full dimension editor like I'm used to. Its' more like the way I remember when Instant3D was turned on in SW2015. However Instant3D is not turned on. I can double click the dimension to open the full dimension editor, like always. But I don't want to single click into the Instant3D type of dimension editing. This makes it very difficult to simply select a dimension (or multiple dimensions) when you may need to for other reasons (it automatically goes into this editing mode). Is there any way to turn off this single click functionality, to make it work more intuitive, like it used to be?

Try clicking on the lines and not the text.  If you click on the text, yes now you enter into edit mode in place. It is confusing at first.  But, you get used to it.

Seth Renigar wrote:

Edit sketch/Edit feature: First let me say that I always have Context Toolbars turned OFF. I don't like them (and haven't since they were introduced many years ago). I prefer to simply see the regular text based menus when right clicking on items. With that being said, when I right click on a sketch or feature in the Feature Tree, I get the text based menu options of either Edit Sketch or Edit Feature, as expected. However, about 80-90% of the time, when I try either of these 2 commands, absolutely nothing happens. It doesn't act like its even trying to do anything. That is, until after I save the Part. Saving the Part seems to fix this. After saving, these 2 functions work fine. That is until the next time I have to use them, and the cycle starts all over again. I shouldn't have to save every time I want to edit a sketch or feature. Plus, many times, I don't want to save (like when I'm experimenting with things that I may not want to keep). Does anyone know what may be causing this? I don't think this has anything to do with having the Context Toolbars turned off, as it does this even when they are turned on (using the toolbar icons).

I'm sure I will have more questions as I use this version a little more. But those are the 2 biggest issues I have at this moment.

This sounds like weird behavior.  I've had a corrupted install before and SW was doing some weird stuff.  I've also had to go into the registry and clear it before.  It couldn't hurt to run a repair install and clear the registry (you'll lose your customization, though).

Resetting the SOLIDWORKS registry

Also, if you are on subscription, try to get someone with your VAR to web session into your computer and show you some of the new tools and features...There are a lot of great improvements.

Edward Poole

Matt Peneguy Seth Renigar Yes, click on the dimension lines, that drove me crazy right after I too went from 2015 SP5 to 2018 SP4, I just recently got used to clicking on the line to edit dims.

MyIT department used to let me do all the engineering updates, then last year they took away my access. I can't download or install anything anymore. I gave up trying. So now they have one IT guy who is supposed to be the CAD/CAM guy...yeah, right, he knows ZERO about the software, completely messed up my toolbox and design library, I fixed it on my own. They should stick to other stuff and leave engineering alone. my 2 cents.

Matt Peneguy

Edward Poole wrote:

Matt Peneguy Seth Renigar Yes, click on the dimension lines, that drove me crazy right after I too went from 2015 SP5 to 2018 SP4, I just recently got used to clicking on the line to edit dims.

MyIT department used to let me do all the engineering updates, then last year they took away my access. I can't download or install anything anymore. I gave up trying. So now they have one IT guy who is supposed to be the CAD/CAM guy...yeah, right, he knows ZERO about the software, completely messed up my toolbox and design library, I fixed it on my own. They should stick to other stuff and leave engineering alone. my 2 cents.

A guy up here used to say, "If IT had complete control, they'd come around and remove all the power cords from the PCs".

Seth Renigar

Edward,

Check out the Instant2D that Dan suggested.  I made the same upgrade path as you (15 to 18), and I wasn't aware of this new tool.  It fixed that problem and is back to the functionality that I'm familiar with.

Jim Sculley

Edward Poole wrote:

So now they have one IT guy who is supposed to be the CAD/CAM guy...yeah, right, he knows ZERO about the software, completely messed up my toolbox and design library, I fixed it on my own. They should stick to other stuff and leave engineering alone. my 2 cents.

You should talk to your IT group about Using Administrative Images  with manual or automatic deployment.  This will allow you to set up your install that way you want (using the administrative option editor), but give them the power to do the actual install.  Our corporate IT group has been pushing to remove local admin rights from our machines which are needed to install SOLIDWORKS, so rather than have to hold their hand every time they need to install SOLIDWORKS somewhere, I set the image up with all the correct components and options and they deploy it.  We tried it out for the first time last week on a test machine and it works great.

The other benefit of admin images is you can ensure everyone is set up exactly the same way, or you can tailor the installation by creating groups of machines (or even individual machines) that only get certain features installed.

Edward Poole

Jim Sculley I offered them for me to make an image and they could deploy it, nope, the VAR says with only 4 machines, it's not worth it...I give up on these dopes.

Jim Sculley

Edward Poole wrote:

Jim Sculley I offered them for me to make an image and they could deploy it, nope, the VAR says with only 4 machines, it's not worth it...I give up on these dopes.

There is zero downside to using admin images.  I'm not sure what your VAR is thinking.  I would use an admin image if it was 2 users.  Otherwise, I would have to sit down at each machine and painstakingly ensure that all the correct installation options were selected.  Every time.  With my mix of CAD users, non-CAD users, PDM editors and contributors, simulation users, flow simulation users, standalone licenses and network licenses, it is the only thing keeping me sane when upgrade time rolls arounds.

Keep in mind, this isn't deployment using Active Directory this is just plain old Deploying Automatically.

Edward Poole

Jim

Jim Sculley wrote:

Edward Poole wrote:

There is zero downside to using admin images. I'm not sure what your VAR is thinking. I would use an admin image if it was 2 users. Otherwise, I would have to sit down at each machine and painstakingly ensure that all the correct installation options were selected. Every time. With my mix of CAD users, non-CAD users, PDM editors and contributors, simulation users, flow simulation users, standalone licenses and network licenses, it is the only thing keeping me sane when upgrade time rolls arounds.

Keep in mind, this isn't deployment using Active Directory this is just plain old Deploying Automatically.

I explained to them it's the only way to go, VAR wasted a some extra time doing it that way, but it is what it is. Upgraded PDM Standard the same way. I don't get it. I've been using Admin Images for years until a couple years ago when they shut me off. It's their budget...The last thing I want to do is attempt to go over their heads.

Dan Pihlaja

Seth Renigar wrote:

1. Sketch Dimensions: While I'm editing a sketch, when I single click on a dimension, it automatically edits the dimension, but not in the full dimension editor like I'm used to. Its' more like the way I remember when Instant3D was turned on in SW2015. However Instant3D is not turned on. I can double click the dimension to open the full dimension editor, like always. But I don't want to single click into the Instant3D type of dimension editing. This makes it very difficult to simply select a dimension (or multiple dimensions) when you may need to for other reasons (it automatically goes into this editing mode). Is there any way to turn off this single click functionality, to make it work more intuitive, like it used to be?

Instant2D is now a thing:

Seth Renigar

BOOM, for the win, Dan!!!!!  That fixes one of the issues!

I was not aware of this tool.  I don't use the command manager either (I setup my toolbars instead).  That's why I didn't see this.  Obviously something new since SW2015...

You will get the win for this.  But I'm going to leave it open a little while until I get some responses on the other issue.

Frederick Law

Using 2018SP4

1: Single click doesn't do anything.  Double click edit dimension.

I don't know if its some setting in SW.

2: Both Edit Sketch and Feature works with context turned off.

Josh Brady

Seth Renigar wrote:

1. ...when I right click on a sketch or feature in the Feature Tree, I get the text based menu options of either Edit Sketch or Edit Feature, as expected. However, about 80-90% of the time, when I try either of these 2 commands, absolutely nothing happens....

This one definitely seems like a boogered up install.  I've never seen this behavior.

You mention accessing those commands from the right-click menu... Do the same commands work if you click a toolbar button or use the Command Search bar?  Not that this would particularly indicate some known issue, it may just show how deeply boogered up you are...

Seth Renigar

Josh,

When I highlight a sketch in the feature tree and use the edit sketch button on the toolbar, it does edit the sketch even when using the right click menu fails.  Odd....

I'm not aware of a toolbar button for the editing a feature, though.  The only way that I'm aware of editing a feature is via right click text menu (or context toolbar), which is what I've been having this issue with.  However, I just found that this could be done through the menus at Edit>Definition, that I've never used before.  I just tried it with the same results, though.  I even tried getting to it using the Command Search bar, with no improvement either.

It certainly sounds like a boogered up install to me as well, with this issue.  Or at the very least, a bug in SP0.1.  I guess at this point I need to do an update to the latest SP and see if that fixes it.

Steve Calvert

LOL, we've, in our last two upgrades, jumped from SW2016 to SW2010 and then SW2010 to SW2015 and next we're going from SW2015 to SW2018, like you.  This biggest thing that changes is the actual look and feel from SW2015 to SW2016 but I only know that from this forum since I'm still on SW2015

Good luck

Steve C

David Matula

the learning curve is always fun with a new release of SolidWorks. All the cool stuff used to be in the premium pkg, and I was stuck on standard for years and kept up to date.  Then moving around I found places that run a year or two behind.  Then I ended up away from SolidWorks. a year here and a few years there.  One thing that was great was that the base commands where still there and still work.  To get the learning there is a lot of time you can spend here to get caught up, and if you can find your local SWUG.  (user group) and attend meetings or even start up a group it there is not one.

Glenn Schroeder

David Matula wrote:

the learning curve is always fun with a new release of SolidWorks. All the cool stuff used to be in the premium pkg, and I was stuck on standard for years and kept up to date. Then moving around I found places that run a year or two behind. Then I ended up away from SolidWorks. a year here and a few years there. One thing that was great was that the base commands where still there and still work. To get the learning there is a lot of time you can spend here to get caught up, and if you can find your local SWUG. (user group) and attend meetings or even start up a group it there is not one.

That learning curve wouldn't be as steep, and there wouldn't be as many surprises, if more people would take a few minutes to review the "What's New" documents before jumping in with both feet.  I've never understood why they don't.

David Matula

well we attend the rollout meeting to see what is new.  Then 30 to 90 days later we get the software, and it takes another 60 days to get the project done that your 3weeks behind on, and the customer just called and asked if we could deliver it earlier than quoted. 

Then the new guy that is supposed to help you opens a critical model in the new version and saves it.  cant find the back up so it.......

Glenn Schroeder

David,

I'm not trying to start a fight, but the point I'm trying to make is that the information on new features for every year since 2011 is readily available at the "What's New" site, separated into years and categories, so there's no reason to be caught by surprise by them (like the Instant 2d feature that has caused so much consternation).

I also enjoy going to the rollout meetings that the VAR puts on, but they only hit the high spots.

By the way, am I the only one that likes Instant 2d?  Because I like it a lot.

Dan Pihlaja

Glenn Schroeder wrote:

David,

I'm not trying to start a fight, but the point I'm trying to make is that the information on new features for every year since 2011 is readily available at the "What's New" site, separated into years and categories, so there's no reason to be caught by surprise by them (like the Instant 2d feature that has caused so much consternation).

I also enjoy going to the rollout meetings that the VAR puts on, but they only hit the high spots.

By the way, am I the only one that likes Instant 2d? Because I like it a lot.

*RAISES HAND*  I like it as well.

Steve Calvert

I enjoy attending our VAR(s) rollout events, too and since I'm a UG leader I get to see so many people that come from the free food and beer and wonder why they also don't come to my meetings.  I guess the beer portion is why but still, if half the people I didn't recognize at the VAR event came to my meeting, I'd more than double my current number

Steve C

David Matula

we are not fighting Glenn.  I just picked the other side of the debate. 

I got a problem when I walk out the doors at work I leave work behind, and when I walk in the doors I almost forget the problems at the house.  So if home is the only place that we have time to look at the what is new cause of pending dead lines....and schedules....who really wants to take work home.

I have still yet to take the time to read the what is new on the student version I have at the house.  I played with it a little.  maybe a hole 8 hours in the 3 weeks I have had it.

Still doing research on the project that I want to build trying to decided which way I want to manufacture it and the materials.

to many choices and the cost is kind of crazy when you start looking at tooling, ect.

Edward Poole

Glenn Schroeder wrote:

David,

By the way, am I the only one that likes Instant 2d? Because I like it a lot.

+1! I like it too.

Glenn Schroeder

For those of you who don't like the current workflow with Instant 2d, please see Easier Deleting of Dimensions with Instant 2d (even if you do like the feature you might still like the Idea).

David Matula

instant 2d is that with 2019?

ohh that darn old stuff.  SW used to be like that all the time for me.  just the way I liked it till you make the wrong dim to long before changing another.  That is why it got turned off.

Glenn Schroeder

David Matula wrote:

instant 2d is that with 2019?

No, it's the Instant 2d feature in sketches that allows editing dimensions by single-clicking and getting the simplified dimension box instead of the need to double-click and get the full Modify Dimension text box.  See Seth Renigar's #1 in his first post in this Discussion.

It's the same behavior you get if you have Instant 3d turned and click on a feature to show it's dimensions in the graphics area.  Single-clicking on a dimension will allow you to directly edit it without opening the feature or sketch, and it will update automatically.  As opposed to not having Instant 3d turned on, and you have to double-click on the dimension to edit, you get the full Modify Dimension dialog box, and the model won't update until you do a manual rebuild.