18 Replies Latest reply on Oct 24, 2018 1:39 PM by James H.

I have an idea but dont know where to start

James H.

Hello Everyone,

I have a very simple idea I would like to realise but have never done this before so I dont know where to begin and the more I look into it the more confused I am getting.

I want to take this basic shape...

3D CAD Model Collection | GrabCAD Community Library

and literally do 3 things with it.

1. Remove the saw edge (this should be easy)

2. Add thin metal strips on the top side, left and right.

3. On the underneath side have some kind of block/pad which attaches to the main part and metal strips with 2 "special" fixings.

The special fixings might be a cutsom job made up of 3-4 parts each.

If i go about this should I draw all the pieces together in 1 go so I know they fit then draw each part separately. I would also like to know how much the expected manufacturing costs would be for this part.

Im feeling a bit deflated at the moment and wondering if I should just get someone to do this for me rather that learn myself but I want to try and keep my idea a secret.

Thanks

• Re: I have an idea but dont know where to start
          Brad Meador

Do you have a hand sketch of what you are trying to achieve.  Modifying it shouldn't be hard.  Do you have experience in Solidworks?

Dennis Dohogne

James H wrote:

Im feeling a bit deflated at the moment and wondering if I should just get someone to do this for me rather that learn myself but I want to try and keep my idea a secret.

Thanks

James, if you really want to keep your idea secret then be very careful about sharing files and information here as this is an open forum and can be easily searched, and not just from within the forum itself.

Since you want to keep this secret I suspect you have an idea for a new product.  That is terrific, but I suggest you first do some searches for attachments such as this on the websites of the companies that sell the tools that use them.  Also, learn the terminology and then search the USPTO database:  US Patent Full-Text Database Boolean Search.  Before you spend much time or any money you should first perform some due diligence.  You will be amazed to find what else is out there.  Remember, just because you haven't seen it in the market doesn't mean it hasn't already been thought of.

Rick McDonald

Do you have SolidWorks or have access to SolidWorks?

It sounds like you have little or no experience with it and it's abilities or how to even start your design.

If you do, Learning SolidWorks is always a great idea if you want to design, create or produce your ideas.

If you Don't have it or access to it, then I would first suggest you learn much more about it and see if it is a product you would like to learn - look as some demo's, videos of what you can do with it and see if this is a direction for you to move in.

If you decide you want to learn the software and design the parts that would be great and would enhance your abilities greatly.

If you are just wanting to design this one product or some simple products to market them then you can hire a designer / drafter to do the work for you.  SolidWorks is not something you will learn overnight and become proficient in immediately.

As Dennis Dohogne suggested, you need to first see that there is not a current patent for or pending on this product idea or one that is so similar that you could get into legal issues if you produce your idea.  You also need to decide how you want to produce it (small or large quantity, materials used, molded or machined, ....)

If you have someone design it for you, you need to have a non-disclosure document in the contract you have between you and the person who designs it or your idea can easily be stolen or sold and you would have no legal way to prove it was your idea.

It's great if you want to invent and design products - but do your homework first and be sure you know what is involved.

If you want to learn Solidworks and need help you can make a similar part / assembly and post it here if you have problems with some detail of it and you will get help and Ideas from the forum, but if you want to patent or sell it then don't show the actual part of something that it too similar.

I am not trying to discourage you / rather I encourage you -  but want you to be sure you know what is needed before you go too far into it.

Paul Salvador

James,... you part has been produced and ready for shipment..

dge 1.png

J. Mather

Do you understand the cost of a SolidWorks license?

Maybe one of the free CAD programs might be sufficient for your needs.

Edit: Having now read your additions to the problem description (simulation/analysis)...   ...I recommend that you add a cost amount for training at least equivalent to your cost for SolidWorks Premium.

I am thinking in the neighborhood of approximately $15k USD and 6-18 months of experience.  Can you afford that neighborhood?

SolidWorks is a professional program and deserves (requires?) a professional level of preparation.

You might want to take a look at Fusion 360.

James H.

I was under the impression most things/ideas have been patented in one way or another now. My method of attachment was going to be some kind of threaded screw/bar with a spring. When you press down on the pad the 2 top flaps open up, so my idea is not original. These accessories are so cheap anyway finding the best/cheapest method of fixing/manufacture is important and something I need to learn. Regardless if this idea is not new or original there are only a few other types of sanding attachment out there, the most common Velcro pad is just rubbish. Why would you not want to make this tool? Is it because larger brands would crush you instantly?

Dennis Dohogne

James H. wrote:

I was under the impression most things/ideas have been patented in one way or another now. My method of attachment was going to be some kind of threaded screw/bar with a spring. When you press down on the pad the 2 top flaps open up, so my idea is not original. These accessories are so cheap anyway finding the best/cheapest method of fixing/manufacture is important and something I need to learn. Regardless if this idea is not new or original there are only a few other types of sanding attachment out there, the most common Velcro pad is just rubbish. Why would you not want to make this tool? Is it because larger brands would crush you instantly?

In a word, yes.

I am an inventor and have worked with many inventors and inventor groups.  If you really believe you have something special and you have checked and it is not already out there somewhere then you have options, but manufacturing and distributing is not one of them.  Unless you already have a company setup to manufacture and sell this "item" then your best bet is to patent it, but that will cost you around $20k to do it right, and then license it.  I highly suggest you connect with a local inventor group:  Inventor Organizations

James H.

I’ve come to the conclusion designing anything original is an impossible task these days, especially if you do not work in this field.

Whilst this tool is good (on paper) I am not prepared to spend any more time on it. I will make myself one for personal use and that is about it.