6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 23, 2018 11:38 AM by Matt Peneguy

MS Shared Workbook possible in PDM?

Robert Pickeral

I have a manager asking if the "shared workbook" feature for Microsoft Excel Spreadsheets is possible in PDM? I doubt it, but asking anyway...

• Re: MS Shared Workbook possible in PDM?
          Robert Pickeral

I'm guessing by the very nature of PDM, this isn't possible.

Wojciech Paterski

how does shared workbook work then? does it mean more then 1 person can work on it at a time and make changes?

Matt Peneguy

You can put a spreadsheet in PDM.  It'll show up and can be checked out for editing.  Each user can in-turn make edits, just like a SW file.  But, I don't think people can concurrently work on a spreadsheet.  I'm not sure how to do that with Excel.  Maybe Office360 supports something like that?

Matt Peneguy

Just to follow-up.  If you want to break it down for your boss, in a productive way, try explaining it in the following way.  PDM is designed to minimize network throughput.  So, it has each user cache the file locally and locks the file in the Vault to maximize performance for SW.  Unfortunately because of the way that works, it doesn't support live collaboration on single files.

For PDFs, there is Bluebeam Revu Sessions.  The way that works is a user creates a "Session" and behind the scenes Bluebeam uploads the PDF to an Amazon AWS, people receive invitations to start editing the PDF.  Everyone can see what everyone else is annotating. You can "follow" other users and see what their monitor looks like.  There's a chat system.  You can Reply to people's comments. At the end of the Session the creator can generate a report with hyperlinks to all of the comments where they are in the actual PDF.  I just don't know if something like this exists somewhere for Excel.

Josh Brady

Matt Peneguy wrote:

You can put a spreadsheet in PDM. It'll show up and can be checked out for editing. Each user can in-turn make edits, just like a SW file. But, I don't think people can concurrently work on a spreadsheet. I'm not sure how to do that with Excel. Maybe Office360 supports something like that?

Concurrent editing has been available for Excel for many years.  In older versions, you have to enable shared mode, and it disables a lot of functions such as formatting, drawing, etc. are not available.  Changes made by other users don't appear live, and only happen when you try to save.  If your change conflicts with their saved change, a conflict resolution window opens.

Office365 has a concurrent editing function where you're actually watching someone else type.

Neither of these would make sense with PDM, because the whole point of PDM is version control - only one person can check the thing out and make changes at once.  It's like asking for a screen door on a submarine.