13 Replies Latest reply on Oct 22, 2018 3:45 PM by Steve S.

Modifying parts in assy?

Steve S.

Another rookie question, but I have a part (piece of wood, 14' long).  If I want to use this part in a different place, and trim the length to a specific boundary, can I do this in the assy, or do I need to create a new part for the dimensions I need?  I don't want it to also change all the other 'parts' I have previously placed.

Thanks.

• Re: Modifying parts in assy?
          Glenn Schroeder

Use an Assembly Cut.  There will be a box at the bottom of the feature's property manager to propagate the feature to the Part (see How can I get an Assembly cut or Hole Wizard feature to show in my Part file? for a screenshot).  Make sure it isn't checked.  Also, in the same section of the property manager, there are boxes for which components to have the feature affect.  Choose "selected components" first.  "Auto-select" will likely be selected by default.  De-select it, then select which component or components you want to cut.

Al Griego

Is there any particular reason you don't want to just create a separate part of the proper length? When I've used assy features, it's for operations that would take place after assembly, like match drilled holes, or other operations that would need to be done after the parts are assembled. Using the same parts and then cutting them to length would mess up your BOM, wouldn't it, since the part lengths are not correct?

Al

Frederik Herløw

I would just open the existing part and change the dimensions, and then save it as a new part E.g ( PieceofWood-20") and the insert it to the assembly again.

Glenn Schroeder

In this case I would respectfully disagree with Al Griego and Frederik Herløw.  Since you're using Solidworks to model the framing for a building, having each length of each board as a separate Part could easily create a large number of individual Part files.  Modeling each size board at the lengths that are available for purchase (8', 10'...16', etc), and then cutting them in the Assembly should work fine.  That way your BOM will indicate how many of each length will need to be purchased instead of the BOM showing the length needed for each individual board.

The only exception I can think of would be if you want to create a cut list, so you'd know the exact length for each board instead of cutting them to length as needed during construction.  In that case you might want to consider creating all or part of the framing as a single multi-body weldment Part so that the length of each board would be automatically generated as a cut list property.  However, if this building will be large or complex this could get unmanageable.

Al Griego

Actually, I like the idea of doing the building frame as a weldment. I don't use weldments here, since our framing is not only cut to length, but also drilled and tapped, so a weldment wouldn't work here. I create separate parts and reuse them where I can. This may be a good option for Steve S.

Glenn Schroeder

Al Griego,

Why does drilling and tapping preclude you from creating framing as a weldment?

Paul Risley

Al Griego wrote:

Actually, I like the idea of doing the building frame as a weldment. I don't use weldments here, since our framing is not only cut to length, but also drilled and tapped, so a weldment wouldn't work here. I create separate parts and reuse them where I can. This may be a good option for Steve S.

I would not tell someone else that they need to change what works for them, but I also would not exclude myself from using weldments for machined structure. We use a lot of framing cladded with various thickness of plating machined along with putting holes in. Both tapped and precision dowels and locating features. It all depends on the capabilites and work flow of your particular building. Since we do alot of oversized welding fixtures for bobcat type equipment and the like, the ability to weld together big structure then machine it is paramount. Otherwise we would be building big lego type projects to achieve the same goals.

Capture.JPG

The above is a simple frame arrangement with some mount plates attached.There were 2 sub frames below 1 center frame and then 2 rails (1 for each side). This one was for a robotic milling center shuttle. As far as building framing with or without weldments you can create the base framing as 1 part and add it to an assembly and structure your hardware into it. I prefer this method because the weldment can have a drawing of as many pages as you need to detail it, but it is still 1 file to manage.

This is a personal preference not a rock solid "this is better" option.

Frederik Herløw

I'm not as experienced as Glenn Schroeder, so i would listen to him

Did not even think of the many parts it would create.

Greg Hertvik

Assuming the following are true:

You don't have the structure set up as a weldment

You have individual board lengths as separate part numbers/models

Here is an alternate suggestion that mimic's Al & Frederik's thoughts in a set-by-step process:

1) Open up the file that needs cut.

2) Do a saves as copy and continue open.

3) In the new file shorten the part to the desired length.

4) In the assembly select the original part that needs cut, right click & select replace component.

5) Replace the component with the new cut part, making sure replace all is unchecked.

You could alternatively do step 3) last and do in context editing (as shown in your other post) if you prefer.