9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 23, 2018 3:31 PM by Jim Wilkinson

Solidworks version - rollback

Aleksandar Stojanovic

Hello, I was install new sw 2019, but i make mistake because my PDM server, he is on 2018 and I can't  upgrade his yet. How I can rollback older (2018 sp4) solidworks version?

• Re: Solidworks version - rollback
          Aleksandar Stojanovic

Hi, my VAR was resolve this by reinstalling. But, do anybody know how to resolve this without uninstall and install again old version? Can I rollback version and keep all settings and data.

Alex Lachance

Why didn't you ask this question to your VAR?

To answer, you can't.

Deepak Gupta

Aleksandar Stojanovic wrote:

Hi, my VAR was resolve this by reinstalling. But, do anybody know how to resolve this without uninstall and install again old version? Can I rollback version and keep all settings and data.

Simple answer is NO though I remember that there was option to roll back a service pack but not sure.

For settings, you can export your current settings and use them during installation.

Jim Wilkinson

Aleksandar Stojanovic wrote:

Can I rollback version and keep all settings and data.

As already mentioned, you cannot rollback the installation; you need to uninstall and reinstall.

However, I wanted to clarify something about settings. As long as you purposely did not wipe out your settings from the old version, they will still be on your machine.

Here is how settings work:

• SOLIDWORKS system settings for a particular user are stored in the Window Registry and they are stored separately for each version of the software (think of it as folders of settings for each version stored in the registry). So if you have run SOLIDWORKS 2018 and SOLIDWORKS 2019, you will have two separate sets of settings in the registry, one for each version.
                  • The way settings are initially populated is as follows:
                    • If you never ran SOLIDWORKS (any version) on a machine, when you first run SOLIDWORKS, it will create default settings for that version in the registry. Then, any modifications you make to system settings in that version will be automatically stored in the registry as you make them.
                    • If you have run a previous version of SOLIDWORKS on a machine, and then startup a newer version, instead of taking the default settings, it will copy your settings forward from the old version to the new version. This is done so you don't lose all the customization you have made. So, in your case, if you had run SOLIDWORKS 2018 on the machine, then installed SOLIDWORKS 2019, it will automatically copy the settings forward from 2018 to 2019. From then forward, the settings are independent; so if you change a setting on that machine for SOLIDWORKS 2018, that change will not be reflected in 2019 or vice versa. Note that this not only works for sequential releases, but also if you skip releases. So if you had gone from SOLIDWORKS 2016 to 2019 for instance, your 2016 settings would automatically be carried forward to 2019.
                  • The only way settings for a version will be removed from the registry is if you use the advanced options in the uninstaller to clear the registry, you use some sort of utility or script to clear the SOLIDWORKS registry, or you manually clear the SOLIDWORKS registry using the registry editor.

So, in your situation, I assume you were running SOLIDWORKS 2018, then you installed and ran SOLIDWORKS 2019. In this situation, you will have separate registry sections containing settings for both SOLIDWORKS 2018 and 2019. So, if you uninstall SOLIDWORKS 2019 and reinstall SOLIDWORKS 2018 and then run SOLIDWORKS 2018, your original SOLIDWORKS 2018 settings will still be there and work.

I hope this helps,

Jim

Deepak Gupta

Simply uninstall 2019 and reinstall 2018 SP 4. Make sure you take all necessary backups.

Alex Lachance

Simply to add, if you've saved some files in 2019, they will not be accessible in 2018.