3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 22, 2018 3:08 PM by Shawn Stugard

Detached Drawings and Pack and Go

Matt Peneguy

I have a main ASM1 that resides in a detached drawing.  The detached drawing also contains, ASM2.  ASM2 is a contrived asm that I created to show something.  So, ASM2 doesn't reside in ASM1.  Is it intended behavior if I Pack and Go ASM1, which includes the detached drawing (detached drawing contains ASM2) to not move ASM2 into the new location?

Why do I think this is a big deal?  I did the above to my main ASM1 and was testing out 2019.  I opened the detached drawing in 2019 and some of my originals were made future version...And to top it off 2019 does not work with my files.

• Re: Detached Drawings and Pack and Go
          Shawn Stugard

It is my understanding (and I could be wrong) that the SW parts/assemblies do not actually reside inside the detached drawing. It simply contains 2D graphical data. If you have a detached drawing open and you attempt to edit the supporting parts/assemblies it will open the "live" files from their original locations. If you opened a detached DWG in SW2019 and edited a part/asm you'd be editing the "live" data.

Matt Peneguy

Right, Right... I understand that.  That's the value of Detached Drawings, being able to edit drawings without loading the models for performance reasons.  However, SW knows, or darn well should know those links to those assemblies or parts exist...And if you Pack and Go a detached drawing, either directly or indirectly (as I did) ALL of the files should go with it.  Or, at the very least I should have been warned that files were not being moved to the directory.  IMO, this is a serious flaw with Detached Drawings and Pack and Go.  Does that make sense, or am I off base here?

Shawn Stugard

Matt,

I guess I've never had occasion to use Pack and Go on a detached drawing. Detached DWGs do seem like a bit of a grey area in this respect and I know many users have never even tried using them. Thus no one replying to your issue.

Does it still do this after you've synced(CTRL-Q) the views with the live parts/asm?

If it does not offer to include the referenced models with P&G, I'd say this is a problem. Otherwise what use would P&G be if it didn't include references.