5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2018 2:14 PM by Tony Tieuli

What is causing the error message "This future version file has no geometry." ?

Daniel Cockfield II

Not sure if this is the right place but here goes.

I am getting the error message in the title when I try to open a part file from a colleague's version of Solidworks. The only thing that shows up in the design tree is a line that says Future version file. And almost all of the commands are inaccessible.

He is running a 2018 version and I have the 2017. I have the SP 5.0 for 2017 installed or at least it shows up when I go to the About SOLIDWORKS window. As far as I understand this should allow me to open files from the 2018 version.

I have tried searching for this error but I'm not finding anyone else who is having it.

Can anyone give me an idea on how to fix this? Thanks!

• Re: What is causing the error message "This future version file has no geometry." ?
          Tony Tieuli

Daniel Cockfield II wrote:

I am getting the error message in the title when I try to open a part file from a colleague's version of Solidworks. The only thing that shows up in the design tree is a line that says Future version file. And almost all of the commands are inaccessible.

He is running a 2018 version and I have the 2017. I have the SP 5.0 for 2017 installed or at least it shows up when I go to the About SOLIDWORKS window. As far as I understand this should allow me to open files from the 2018 version.

I have tried searching for this error but I'm not finding anyone else who is having it.

Try having him save the file as a Parasolid or STEP file then try opening it.

You'll have to run Feature Recognition to be able to edit anything.

• Re: What is causing the error message "This future version file has no geometry." ?
              Glenn Schroeder

Tony Tieuli wrote:

Try having him save the file as a Parasolid or STEP file then try opening it.

You'll have to run Feature Recognition to be able to edit anything.

Parasolid is a better option.  See the quote from Jim Wilkinson in the blog post I linked to above.

Jim Wilkinson

You can open 2018 files in 2017 SP 5.0, but the functionality is limited as per this help topic:

2017 SOLIDWORKS Help - Future Version Components in Earlier Releases

The help topic does not specifically say it, but I believe it only works if you have either solid or surface data in the file. Does the file you are trying to open have solid or surface data or is it only sketches or something else? If it does not, this is likely what the message means by no geometry.

Thanks,

Jim

Tony Tieuli

Jim Wilkinson wrote:

You can open 2018 files in 2017 SP 5.0, but the functionality is limited as per this help topic:

2017 SOLIDWORKS Help - Future Version Components in Earlier Releases

The help topic does not specifically say it, but I believe it only works if you have either solid or surface data in the file. Does the file you are trying to open have solid or surface data or is it only sketches or something else? If it does not, this is likely what the message means by no geometry.

Thanks,

Jim

I wasn't aware of that detail. Good to know. Thanks!