4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 30, 2018 12:13 AM by Xy Light

What is Student Engineering Kits SEK?

Peter Cohen

Hi, IT from school sent me info to install SW for free. He said that I could choose between 2016-17 or 2015-16. What is Student Engineering Kits? I only heard/used the Students version before. What are the differences? If I use SEK to develop some models and later on decide to buy 2018-2019 Student version myself, will I be able to use models developed under SEK?

• Re: What is Student Engineering Kits SEK?
          J. Mather

Peter Cohen wrote:

What are the differences? If I use SEK to develop some models and later on decide to buy 2018-2019 Student version myself, will I be able to use models developed under SEK?

Yes.

https://www.solidworks.com/sw/docs/Student_Access_Product_Matrix_LB.pdf

Peter Cohen

One IT officer tried the license but also did not work for him. He asked another IT person. That person wrote: "That activation code may have reached it maximum number, " and asked me to try another code.

If I can get SW activated using the new licence, will there be a time that I cannot use the softwrae whenever I like because so many people are using it at the same time? Do you think such checking is only required at the installation stage?

J. Mather

Where is your instructor?

Can you ask your instructor to join this discussion?

Were you given an SEK link or were you given an SDK link?

Schools are given a number of student licenses equal to the number of institutional licenses.

The serial number is the same for all students.

So, if your school has 100 institutional licenses, they also have (had?) 100 student licenses to distribute.

Each student should install only on one personal machine (consuming their one personal student license).

Once the serial number has been used to register 100 licenses - all student licenses for that release are consumed and any attempt to Activate a 101th license will result in "activation code has reached maximum number".  So your instructor should have carefully monitored the distribution of all serial numbers and instructed the students on this information.

This issue is completely separate from number of students using the institutional license at any one time.

(Because each student has an individual license (if they Activated)).

The institution typically uses network licenses and could potentially have a situation where all licenses are currently in use, but this does not match your problem description.

Xy Light

Your license probably expired. Solidworks student license expires every 1 year