12 Replies Latest reply on Oct 22, 2018 6:20 PM by Varun Sharma

one or more external references are missing

Varun Sharma

hi guys, im having a few issues right now. I have an assembly where I have sheet metal as the housing and internal components mated to its walls. So I would do edit sketch on the housing within the assembly and draw out where the cutouts need to be based on how the internal components are mated. Then I would go to assembly features and do extruded cut and propagate the cut feature to the part. But now I opened my assembly next day and for some reason it has the yellow exclamation mark on the cut extrude feature saying "One or more external references are missing" and I dont get it. I opened all the parts as the assembly is open but still nothing works.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

• Re: one or more external references are missing
          Newell Voss

If you are using assembly context features they will not propagate to the model outside of the assembly.

It is losing references you included when creating your sketch because those internal components don't exist in the part.

Redo your sketch without actually creating references to the internal parts. Or just create a master sketch of everything's position and convert it to a sketch block that can be brought in and used at the part level.

Glenn Schroeder

I'm afraid Newell Voss  is mistaken (unless I misunderstood).  It's certainly possible to propagate an Assembly feature to a Part (see How can I get an Assembly cut or Hole Wizard feature to show in my Part file?).  I do it fairly often.  I don't know why the method you outlined isn't working.

However, if this Assembly feature is only cutting this one Part, I'd suggest an alternate workflow.  Edit the Part in the context of the Assembly (How can I reference one Part in an Assembly to edit another Part?).   While I said above that I use Assembly cuts, that's typically only when the cut will affect multiple components, or when I don't want the cut to propagate to the Parts.

Paul Risley

There are a miriad of reasons for loss of relationships in "in context" design. The method you are describing does work, however there are a lot of constraints that need to be met for it be robust and stable. First and foremost all parts must be mated and constrained. Once that is done make sure no mates will be affected by the cuts you are going to propogate.

The last piece of advice I can give you without seeing your assembly/ parts is this:

BE VERY CAREFUL  about parent child relationships. Make your cuts in an order that will not wipeout geometry used in previous cuts. Also watch relations between parts when pulling in reference geometry. Always make sure the elements you are using are the ones you want and not relative to some other part. The biggest culprit for the error you are seeing is circular re-build.

Parent A is tied to child B which is a parent to child C which somehow becomes a parent to A.

Keep your features linear and always moving downstream from the main parent and watch your relations and this should not be much of an issue.

Good luck.

Matt Peneguy

Paul Risley wrote:

There are a miriad of reasons for loss of relationships in "in context" design. The method you are describing does work, however there are a lot of constraints that need to be met for it be robust and stable. First and foremost all parts must be mated and constrained. Once that is done make sure no mates will be affected by the cuts you are going to propogate.

The last piece of advice I can give you without seeing your assembly/ parts is this:

BE VERY CAREFUL about parent child relationships. Make your cuts in an order that will not wipeout geometry used in previous cuts. Also watch relations between parts when pulling in reference geometry. Always make sure the elements you are using are the ones you want and not relative to some other part. The biggest culprit for the error you are seeing is circular re-build.

Parent A is tied to child B which is a parent to child C which somehow becomes a parent to A.

Keep your features linear and always moving downstream from the main parent and watch your relations and this should not be much of an issue.

Good luck.

Very good advice Paul.  You have to be very careful and use a methodology or you will be in a world of hurt. Especially I agree about pushing relations down the feature tree, never up (up creates those circular rebuilds...hits performance or worse causes SW to crash, SW is not designed to handle them and you are asking for trouble if you create them).

And, I suggest the heavy usage of "Isolate" by right clicking the components you want to edit, before editing them.  This hides all the other parts and makes it much easier to add those relations to only the parts you want to work on.

Varun Sharma

so I made some extruded cuts via Assembly features and for some reason solidworks does not like it and keeps giving me these weird notifications. I do not know how I can fix this . I get this notification and a few others with yellow exclamation mark saying

"this sketch contains dimensions that are dangling" or something along the lines of that but I have checked all the sketches and did as much as I could to make sure nothing is off but it still has that issue. It started to happen last night and only when I would sketch on body parts and cut extrude through them so fasteners can be mounted properly. All I did was assembly feature/Extruded cut. I wish I could figure it out because I dont have any dangling dimensions. hopefully you guys understand what I'm saying

Varun Sharma

never mind i think i found my way back to fixing them.

thank you guys for all the help