17 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2018 7:09 PM by David Matula

Student Version Vs SolidWorks

David Matula

I recently was able to get a computer to be able to run SolidWorks on and I did my service to be able to get a student version of the program.  HP offered me the best price on the computer threw their Veterans discount page that I kept watching for the right sale to come while I was saving all the pennies that I could. 

What I like about the student version is that I can play with all the stuff that I do not have at work, I am supposed to have Visualize, electrical, and a bunch of other stuff that I have not looked at yet.  It is 2018-2019 student version and I'm Still on 2017 at work.

I found a project that I wanted to work with.  Some guy out there has done 99% of the work for me and has made 3d printable versions of all the parts that I can down load as an STL file.  When I dropped them into the student version I get an image, vs when at work I get a  imported body.  Something else about the file is that the student version I could draw a circle and the image measured about 18" dia.  The imported part at work came in much much larger than that.  so large I have decided not to even bother with it.

More to come as I start to realize the other things that may be different between the two versions.

• Re: Student Version Vs SolidWorks
          Josh Brady

These are not differences between the two versions.  They're differences in your import settings/options.

Please see:

Matt Peneguy

David,

Are you guys at work on subscription?  If so, you are entitled to a free Home Use License for each work copy.

Xy Light

Hmm the student and the commercial should not have any difference the difference is that, the student says 2018-2019 but actually you are using the 2018 version of solidworks not the 2019.

David Matula

see that is why I started the post.  I took a break for a few years and missed out on a lot of new settings, that I have not taken time to get into yet.  Thanks.  I also get more features than I do at work with the student version, and do not have to go threw the hassle of checking in and out a network license.  Thanks for the tips. 

David Matula

well try as I could I went to the settings and I kept thinking that I was going to get the files to import the way that I wanted, and was having troubles.  Hope that when I am able to get back to them I can get it to work.  I am starting to think that I may not want half the info that I am getting anyway from the downloaded models.  It may be time to rethink the project and start over from scratch.

Nadia Shea

Functionally, a student version is the exact same as the commercial. It will never be the latest commercial version but it may have assets that your company did not buy commercially.

It's great for learning but please bear in mind that the EULA for student version is different than the commercial version.

SOLIDWORKS Student Edition | SOLIDWORKS

The detail you really want to note is: "Files created by the SWEE may not be used for Commercial or Research Purposes. DS SolidWorks holds no liability or obligation to remove transmitted Watermarks from Commercial files if deliberate or accidental interaction occurs."

If you have student license at home and a commercial license at work, you really want to make sure you keep the files you created in either separate. If you make something at home that you want to use at work, you will have to re-model it from scratch on the commercial license.

David Matula

I am not taking work home.  I wanted to be able to play with more of the stuff that I see that I have not had access to.  I can use it for personal projects, at the house like a designing a book shelf,....and putting together and doing problem solving before getting into cutting. 

I was just not up to speed on all the extra system options that got added while I was away from the software for a while.  It has been a while since I have had to do a clean install.  This should be fun if I can ever figure out all the components that I need for special project that I was hoping to be able to put together other than the book shelf.

Daniel Hulse

Greetings,

Is there any way to translate student version components into non-student version components? (Translate meaning not redraw from scratch). Much to my chagrin my new position comes with a legacy of intermingled parts.

Matt Peneguy

Unfortunately, probably not.  There's a reason they make it work that way.  But, maybe if you can make a compelling enough argument to your VAR, they could get the good people at SW to "unlock" your files...But that's very doubtful.

Dennis Dohogne

Daniel Hulse wrote:

Greetings,

Is there any way to translate student version components into non-student version components? (Translate meaning not redraw from scratch). Much to my chagrin my new position comes with a legacy of intermingled parts.

There is no "translation".  As stated above the student version is a year behind the most current release, so the student 2018-2019 version is actually just SWX2018.  The only real difference is that parts saved at any point in their life in the student version will carry a permanent watermark (the mortarboard) to indicate they were created (or at least worked on) in a student version.  This is to prevent people from using the student version for production work.

If you have parts that were created/saved in a student version and are now legitimately using them for production work you might be able to get those files stripped of that watermark by going through your VAR.

John Stoltzfus

David Matula - don't forget to fill out this form

David Matula

John Stoltzfus wrote:

David Matula - don't forget to fill out this form

Student name N/A

College US ARMED FORCES

Teacher:  Drill SGT    

Search The Forum.  YEP,

FAQ by Gleen, heard of it and of him.

STarted using SolidWorks,  1959 or 2000

Tutorials:  some training on the rifle range.

Class Credits.  none that I know of Would like to get some on surfacing but heck I will get there.

No need to upload files at this time.

What I expect....nada...I was just posting some differences that I was seeing, and found out that I need to update my self on the system options, since they have grown by 500% since I last had to set up a version of solidworks.

James Riddell

David Matula, I'd suggest exporting a step file or parasolid instead of an stl. If that works fine then it is a settings issue (or translation of the surfaces). Watch your units on export and what the model actually comes in at (lower right of screen).

We almost always use step files and still things get wonky sometimes, i.e. 0.999999995" instead of 1.0. This seems to be related to SWX & Catia being native metric s/w although one is based on meters and the other is based on millimeters by default.

David Matula

I think that I gave up with trying that all together.  for some reason the units are way the heck off, and I have been slowly working on modeling the parts off of what I can find on the web.

James Riddell

David Matula wrote:

I think that I gave up with trying that all together. for some reason the units are way the heck off, and I have been slowly working on modeling the parts off of what I can find on the web.

Understood. You could also try to scale your model to bring it in to line with size(s) you were expecting.

PS, don't take offense to John Stoltzfus, he and I (along with a few others, including academics) like to push back when some students (not you) ask to have their homework completed and sent to them "in two hours" so they can pass it in.