15 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2018 2:59 PM by Al Griego

Can Solidworks finally get countersink screw holes corrected?

M. D.

I am getting tired of having to create an assembly with my flat head screws in order to iteratively design the width of the countersink on the hole.  You would think that Solidworks would be smart enough to know what size to make the countersink so that the screw does not protrude from the part!  I'm sure there have been thousands of SPR's about this, can we get something done?

Thanks.

• Re: Can Solidworks finally get countersink screw holes corrected?
          John Pesaturo

M. D., not to rain on your parade here but FHCS Screws are by far the worst of the bunch to try and nail down. With heads that fluctuate ~1/32" from the nominal diameter it's no wonder you struggle. I'm not sure of your end goal but if it is simply to have the head flush to sub flush with the surface in question I'd simply read the chart and add an additional 64th to 32nd to the maximum diameter in the "Head Clearance" portion of the options within the Hole Wizard. It has been my experience that the hole wizard is pulling the nominal diameter for the head size.

We are constantly plagued by the same type of scenario. Fortunately we have any number of "old school" machinists that prefer to set their countersink depths manually. When it's a project that I know up front will be done solely in the CNC cells (CNC Operators vs. Machinists) I add extra clearance as I've mentioned and note on the print to manually verify countersink depths with our gold standard set of FHCS Screws (Just a set of FHCS Screws that were inspected and qualified to be at the top end of their diameter specification).

I know this is not optimal but I hope it helps ...

Doug Seibel

Just adjust the standard.  Fix once & done.

John Pesaturo

Doug, we do a lot of Tool & Die (Injection Molding of sorts but with some major twists) that I have created any number of "favorites" within the Hole Wizard for multiple Torrington style 60° bevel headed punches.

When it comes to regular SHCS or FHCS that I'm looking for something a little different than the standard are you inferring that I can change the value it initially populates with?

For instance a 1/4-20 FHCS C'Sink diameter defaults to a value of Ø.507, is this default what you are referring to when you say adjust the standard?

Doug Seibel

John Pesaturo wrote:

Doug, we do a lot of Tool & Die (Injection Molding of sorts but with some major twists) that I have created any number of "favorites" within the Hole Wizard for multiple Torrington style 60° bevel headed punches.

When it comes to regular SHCS or FHCS that I'm looking for something a little different than the standard are you inferring that I can change the value it initially populates with?

For instance a 1/4-20 FHCS C'Sink diameter defaults to a value of Ø.507, is this default what you are referring to when you say adjust the standard?

Yes, that is exactly what I am referring to when I say adjust the standard.  Go into the Hole Wizard Standards and adjust them so that you get what you want, by default, every time.

Jim Sculley

John Pesaturo wrote:

No it doesn't.  You are using the wrong standard:

The 'Flat Head Screw' standard is not for socket head cap screws.  Use the 'Socket Countersunk Head Cap Screw' standard, which comes in at .531" which puts the head flush with the surface if the screw head diameter is at the theoretical sharp value per ANSI/ASME B18.3-1986.

M. D.

Well I deal rarely with FHCS so I just want to pull it in and it be correct.  I can't think of any reason why someone would not want a FHCS to be flush with the part.  This should be something Solidworks can easily fix.  I can't think of any reason why they shouldn't.