25 Replies Latest reply on Oct 18, 2018 2:58 PM by Ben Langdon

Macro to Load Dimension Styles

Ben Langdon

So i want to make a macro that will load the styles i have already made for dimensions. i know its just a couple clicks to imput them into a new drawing, but i would like to have it load them in with a shortcut just so i don't have to do the same thing all the time when opening old documents that i need to load them into.

I tried recording it but it didn't take down any of the things i did so i don't really have anything to start off of

• Re: Macro to Load Dimension Styles
          Deepak Gupta

I think you need to use LoadStyle method.

Gennadiy Tsybikov

Use IAnnotation::LoadStyle method. You have to first access IAnnotation Interface and then use LoadStyle method.

I created a macro that Loads Style for dimensions. Just assign strPathName to your template path and try if it works for you. See below:

Sub main()

Dim swApp As SldWorks.SldWorks

Dim swModel As SldWorks.ModelDoc2

Dim swDrawDoc As SldWorks.DrawingDoc

Dim swAnnot As SldWorks.Annotation

Dim swSheet As SldWorks.Sheet

Dim swView As SldWorks.View

Dim vViews As Variant

Dim vAnnots As Variant

Dim intAnnotCount As Integer

Dim strSheetNames() As String

Dim intSheetCount As Integer

Dim strPathName As String

Dim i As Integer

Dim j As Integer

Dim k As Integer

strPathName = "C:\..."

Set swApp = Application.SldWorks

Set swModel = swApp.ActiveDoc

Set swDrawDoc = swModel

intSheetCount = swDrawDoc.GetSheetCount

ReDim strSheetNames(1 To intSheetCount) As String

strSheetNames = swDrawDoc.GetSheetNames

For i = 0 To intSheetCount - 1

Set swSheet = swDrawDoc.Sheet(strSheetNames(i))

vViews = swSheet.GetViews

For j = 0 To UBound(vViews)

Set swView = vViews(j)

vAnnots = swView.GetAnnotations

intAnnotCount = swView.GetAnnotationCount

If intAnnotCount > 0 Then

For k = 0 To UBound(vAnnots)

Set swAnnot = vAnnots(k)

swAnnot.LoadStyle (strPathName)

Next k

End If

Next j

Next i

End Sub

Deepak Gupta

Does it work for you? I can not get the LoadStyle method to work?

Gennadiy Tsybikov

Yes it works fine for me.

Deepak Gupta

Gennadiy Tsybikov wrote:

Yes it works fine for me.

Your SOLIDWORKS version please

Gennadiy Tsybikov

SOLIDWORKS Pro 2017 x64 Edition, SP 5.0

Deepak Gupta

I've tried on 2017 as well but still not working. Here are my codes:

Option Explicit

Dim SwApp           As SldWorks.SldWorks

Dim swModel         As SldWorks.ModelDoc2

Dim SwView          As View

Dim swDispDim       As SldWorks.DisplayDimension

Dim swDim           As SldWorks.Dimension

Dim myAnnotation    As SldWorks.Annotation

Sub Main()

Set SwApp = Application.SldWorks

Set swModel = SwApp.ActiveDoc

Set SwView = swModel.GetFirstView

Set SwView = SwView.GetNextView

Set swDispDim = SwView.GetFirstDisplayDimension

Set myAnnotation = swDispDim.GetAnnotation()

myAnnotation.LoadStyle "C:\Users\DEEPAK\Desktop\Style1.sldstl"

End Sub

Gennadiy Tsybikov

I've tried your code and it works on my SolidWorks version as well.

What is not working for you? Is the template not loading or you're getting an error on LoadStyle method?

Ben Langdon
                                      Gennadiy Tsybikov

Deepak Gupta

Are you using model items Or the dimensions were added into the drawing?

Gennadiy Tsybikov

Thank you Deepack for pointing that out. Our two macros work only on dimensions added into the drawing. So if you want to change dimension style of model dimensions you have to do run the macro at a part level. It's weird but I have to first run macro to Load Style at a part level and also run second macro to Load Style at a drawing level. Then I was able to see it in the style drop down property.

Use these two lines at a part level:

Set myAnnotation = swModel.GetFirstAnnotation2

myAnnotation.LoadStyle "Template Path"

Deepak Gupta

Gennadiy Tsybikov wrote:

Thank you Deepak for pointing that out. Our two macros work only on dimensions added into the drawing. So if you want to change dimension style of model dimensions you have to do run the macro at a part level. It's weird but I have to first run macro to Load Style at a part level and also run second macro to Load Style at a drawing level. Then I was able to see it in the style drop down property.

But if it works manually then it should work via API as well.

Ben Langdon

Gennadiy Tsybikov

I'm not to sure what you guys are saying. I just want to open old drawings, hit the macro, then have my dimension styles load so that i can change dimensions. I have already loaded all the styles i want into my templates. man i really love dim styles, its only been like a week or two knowing about them but dam i am kicking myself for not knowing this earlier. Sooooooooooo many fixed old documents with correct tolerances done with out dim style

Deepak Gupta

Ben, try the following codes in an active drawing. In the codes below, the macro is loading 3 styles. Change the style path and add more lines if there are many styles you want to load.

Option Explicit

Dim SwApp          As SldWorks.SldWorks
                                                        Dim swModel        As SldWorks.ModelDoc2
                                                        Dim swDispDim      As SldWorks.DisplayDimension
                                                        Dim swDim          As SldWorks.Dimension

Sub Main()

myAnnotation.LoadStyle "C:\Users\DEEPAK\Desktop\Style2.sldstl"
                                                          myAnnotation.LoadStyle "C:\Users\DEEPAK\Desktop\Style3.sldstl"

End Sub

Ben Langdon

So i put your code into my macro file and i couldn't get it to work, i deleted stuff and added stuff at the top of the code but nothing really worked. the variable SwViewSwView says its not defined. I took a pic just to be clear what i have written in your code.Capture56566.JPG

Deepak Gupta

Ben Langdon wrote:

So i put your code into my macro file and i couldn't get it to work, i deleted stuff and added stuff at the top of the code but nothing really worked. the variable SwViewSwView says its not defined. I took a pic just to be clear what i have written in your code.

Sorry Ben, looks like the codes got messed up.

Try these and change path as needed.

Option Explicit 

Sub Main() 

End Sub 

Deepak Gupta

Ben Langdon wrote:

So i put your code into my macro file and i couldn't get it to work, i deleted stuff and added stuff at the top of the code but nothing really worked. the variable SwViewSwView says its not defined. I took a pic just to be clear what i have written in your code.

Sorry Ben, looks like the codes got messed up.

Try these and change path as needed.

Option Explicit 

Sub Main() 

End Sub 

Ben Langdon

thanks so much, its working now. i do have one question though, can i have it not change the first dimension when i run the macro. right now when i run the macro the first dimension changes to whatever the last loaded dim style is. i am guesing it has something to do with SwView.GetFirstDisplayDimension but everything i changed it didn't work.