17 Replies Latest reply on Oct 16, 2018 4:31 PM by Kevin Chandler

UI:  Add a bitmap or text to a toolbar?

Rob Edwards

I have the Configurations and the Display States Toolbars Docked.

It would be nice if I could work out which is which?

I suppose I could rename the default Display State in my template to DefaultDS.

Better Ideas?

• Re: UI:  Add a bitmap or text to a toolbar?
          Dan Pihlaja

Hrmm....

When I create a new part, it is pretty obvious which one is the Display State drop down (So I wonder why your's isn't reading the same):

Parts:

Assemblies:

However, I get what you are saying.....and I don't know how.

Kevin Chandler

Hello,

If you don't use one or the other too often, you can toggle the display of the lesser used toolbar with a keyboard shortcut.

I did this example with a "D" shortcut to match Display States toolbar:

Kevin

Josh Brady

Weird.... I didn't realize those toolbars aren't customizable at all.  I figured you could just drop whatever command on there that you wanted to keep 'em straight, or even make a custom macro button that points to a dummy macro and put a custom image on that.  But no dice!

Kevin Chandler

Hello,

I wrote a utility that changes the font of a dropdown list box so it has a visual difference compared to a neighboring list:

I changed the one on the left to use Arial.

To change to a different font, double-click the attached INI File (it opens in Notepad/your favorite text editor) and type your font name choice in place of Arial.

To translate to a non-English installation, replace "SOLIDWORKS" with your local equivalent.

• Minimize all applications
                • Hover your cursor over SolidWorks on the taskbar and the tooltip that eventually shows is your SW title (it's not just your current file name)
                • Whatever is your first word, add it to the INI file

When this utility starts, you'll see this dialog. Follow the instructions:

The internal handle of the selected dropdown box is written to the INI file:

So the next time you run this utility, this handle is read and the dropdown box gets the assigned font (assuming this utility is started the next time SW runs).

Some applications change the handle to the same control. If this happens, the desired control isn't altered.

To reassign the desired dropdown, press Ctrl+Alt+Shift+Windows+D (as shown in the dialog; it will be a two handed press, purposefully long, so it mostly likely doesn't override any current keyboard shortcuts---which it will do) and pick the desired dropdown.

This new dropdown's handle will be written to the INI file for next time.

There's no path for the utility to locate its INI file, so keep them both in the same folder and they'll find each other.

I hope this helps.

Kevin

EDIT: This doesn't alter SW outboard of the current session.

If the toolbar is closed and reopened, it will be restored to its default font.

Glenn Schroeder

Rob Edwards wrote:

I have the Configurations and the Display States Toolbars Docked.

It would be nice if I could work out which is which?

I suppose I could rename the default Display State in my template to DefaultDS.

Better Ideas?

I just always have the one for configurations on the left and the one for display states on the right.  I know that's a very simple solution, but you have to remember I'm not an engineer.  I like simple. 

I'm glad you posted this.  I was beginning to think I was the only one using those toolbars.  Does anyone else have problems with them occasionally showing just the Defaults until I go to the configurations tab (which kind of defeats the purpose of having the toolbars)?  This seems to be when first opening a file, those toolbars won't update until I click on the configurations tab and then back.

Dan Pihlaja

Well...you could change your template so that the first configuration is no longer named, "Default"  Name it something else like....Configuration_1 or something.

Then the drop down menu would show that instead.

Just tested it...and it works!

New part made from a dummy template part in which I renamed the default config:

Jeremy Feist

I use the config dropdown, but for display states I put this in the heads up toolbar.

Untitled.png

edit: but you can put it anywhere

Rob Edwards

Wow Guys Thankyou All.

It took me a while to find where that button was Jeremy.

..and as a bonus there's all kinds of other useful stuff in there too

edit:  EXTRA BONUS  This allows you to create a Display State too

Glenn

I just always have the one for configurations on the left and the one for display states on the right.

This leads to another question... my toolbars seem to have a mind of their own..  or at least they never seem to be happy where I leave them and move about seemingly of their own accord.

Kevin Chandler

What witchcraft is this?  It's late now, but I'm looking forward to investigating tomorrow