12 Replies Latest reply on Oct 14, 2018 7:43 PM by Afthab Afrathim

Dimensions not scaling properly

Afthab Afrathim

Hi everyone,

Why does the dimensions use 1:1 scale despite the sheet specifying a different scale?

I have even used a custom scale but the when I dimension, it always gives me dimension based on the 1:1 scale of the part.

Any help would be appreciated.

• Re: Dimensions not scaling properly
          Josh Brady

OK, I kinda hope I don't understand your question...

Are you saying that you make a drawing of a 100mm cube... Add dimensions and they say 100.  Change sheet scale to 1/2, but dimensions still say 100 instead of changing to 50 as you expect?  Or are you saying that the dimension does change to 50 instead of staying at 100?

Glenn Schroeder

Along with Josh, I'm not sure I understand.  Maybe you're sketching in a Solidworks Drawing, instead of creating a 3d model first, and expect dimensions to change when you change the sheet scale?  If yes, that's not the way it works.  While there is a Scale feature in Part models, there isn't in Drawings.  If you want to change a dimension on sketch entities in a Drawing then your only option is to double-click on the dimension and enter the desired value.

However, I'd strongly encourage you to learn to create your models first, then the Drawing.  There are some built-in tutorials in Solidworks that you could benefit from.

Afthab Afrathim

Thabk you for your reply. So, the model is fine. I'm creating a drawing of the model but when I add dimension to the part in the drawing, despite the scale factor of 1:2, the dimensions given are that of 1:1.

So if the original true part has 100mm length, the length in the drawing (with sheet setting as 1:2) would still give me 100mm as opposed to 50mm.

Glenn Schroeder

Afthab Afrathim wrote:

Thabk you for your reply. So, the model is fine. I'm creating a drawing of the model but when I add dimension to the part in the drawing, despite the scale factor of 1:2, the dimensions given are that of 1:1.

So if the original true part has 100mm length, the length in the drawing (with sheet setting as 1:2) would still give me 100mm as opposed to 50mm.

As Newell Voss said, changing the sheet scale (or view scale) only changes the size of the drawing view on the sheet.  If you want the dimensions to change you'll need to edit the model.

He also said something about selecting the "override" option.  You can do that, but I'd strongly recommend you avoid it.  Using that negates all the benefit you get from parametric modeling.  I only use that option when I'm replacing a dimension with text; never to change the value of a dimension.

Afthab Afrathim

Oh, I see. Thank you so much.

So, when you are giving the drawings to like a manufacturer, is it fine to leave the dimensions as it is i.e. 1:1? It sort of seems like the scaling is redundant except for just fitting the model into the paper.

Sorry for asking such a newbie question but I really lack experience in this field.

Glenn Schroeder

Afthab Afrathim wrote:

Oh, I see. Thank you so much.

So, when you are giving the drawings to like a manufacturer, is it fine to leave the dimensions as it is i.e. 1:1? It sort of seems like the scaling is redundant except for just fitting the model into the paper.

Sorry for asking such a newbie question but I really lack experience in this field.

Scaling is for fitting the model into the available space on the drawing, but I wouldn't consider that redundant.  Dimension the model, and also the drawing, the way you want it built.  I call out the sheet scale (and view scale on the rare occasions that a view is scaled different from the sheet scale) on every drawing sheet, but I don't expect the person using the drawing to actually need to use that to determine any dimensions.

Newell Voss

The scale only influences the model display in the drawing environment. The dimensions will always be true to the model unless you select the "override" option.

Afthab Afrathim

Thank you so much!

Does this mean that it is okay to give the 1:1 dimensions to manufacturers despite the scale saying 1:2?

Otherwise, it seems like scaling just serves to fit the model onto the paper but serves no other purpose.

Sorry for asking such a newbie question. I have very limited experience in this field.

Newell Voss

Unless you want a part that is different from what you modeled, you should always provide 1:1 dimensions.

Scaling has nothing to do with dimensions. It is just a tool to show enhanced detail on complex models that may have a number of small features/parts.

The only time I have seen it acceptable to provide "untrue" dimensions on a print is when a manufacturer provides a verified tool dimension (TV) used to produce a part that has been previously approved by the customer. The tool itself then becomes the control over the print.

I have never seen "scaled" dimensions  where they change from one view to another.