10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 11, 2018 12:42 PM by Andreas Rhomberg

Why can't I copy between planes?

Vince Boice

Hello, all....

I have a sketch and weldment on the Top layer.

I am trying to copy the sketch and/or weldment (anything at this point) to a plane above it.

I've tried the copy/paste thing.

I've tried the Ctl>drag thing.

Nothing seems to get anything where it belongs.

I have managed to copy the sketch to it's original location on the Top plane, leaving 2 sketches on top of each other.

I've also managed to somwhow copy the sketch to the Front plane, without even trying.

I've poured over the forums, watched videos, read tutorials and still cannot figure this out.

What am I doing wrong, or missing?

Thanks in advance

Vince

• Re: Why can't I copy between planes?
          Glenn Schroeder
          1. Expand the tree to access the sketch.
          2. Click on it to highlight it and hit Ctrl+C.
          3. Click on the desired plane, either in the graphics area or tree.
          4. Ctrl+V.

That will create a copy of the sketch on the new plane.  It's placement will likely be more or less random, so you'll need to edit it to position it on the new plane with dimensions and/or relations.

Kevin Chandler

Vince Boice wrote:

Hello, all....

I have a sketch and weldment on the Top layer.

I am trying to copy the sketch and/or weldment (anything at this point) to a layer above it.

I've tried the copy/paste thing.

I've tried the Ctl>drag thing.

Nothing seems to get anything where it belongs.

I have managed to copy the sketch to it's original location on the Top plane, leaving 2 sketches on top of each other.

I've also managed to somwhow copy the sketch to the Front plane, without even trying.

I've poured over the forums, watched videos, read tutorials and still cannot figure this out.

What am I doing wrong, or missing?

Thanks in advance

Vince

If by "layer", you mean "plane" (layers are something else), then edit the first sketch, Ctrl+A to select all and Ctrl+C to copy.

Exit this sketch and start a new/open an existing sketch on the other sketch plane and press Ctrl+V to paste.

If you're not modifying the copied sketch and wish it to change f you modify the original sketch, then use a derived sketch: (outside of the first sketch, click it in the tree and Ctrl+click the sketch plane where the second sketch will go.

With these selected, click the menus Insert>Derived sketch.

Upload your files if you can or post some images of what you're attempting. This will help.

Kevin

Vince Boice

Yes, I meant a plane above the Top plane.

Hazard of working in 2 applications at the same time.... lol.

I will try this and post back.

Vince Boice

I followed your steps to a T and, while I can copy/paste the sketch it always ends up in the wrong orientation, no matter what view I try it in.

I have attached my file for review.

Josh Brady

Vince, you have a lot of issues with your model.

1. You are using 3D sketches where 2D sketches will do just fine.  2D is much easier to fully define.  Which you haven't done for your 3D sketches.  Also, what Kevin said about derived sketches won't work with 3D sketches.

2. You've used separate features for each vertical.  Pretty sure you'd be better off using groups within a single feature.  Not a huge deal, but it can be helpful when you need to trim members to one another.

3. Again, now that I've seen your file I'm 99% sure that copy/paste is NOT the right way to do this.  As I said before, copy and paste of sketches is ALMOST NEVER a good way to create a model.

Josh Brady

Vince... Let's take a step back here.  What are you trying to accomplish by copying a sketch and pasting it somewhere else?  That's something that I don't know that I've ever really needed to do, or at least very rarely.  There are other ways of achieving a duplicate sketch, or duplicate features/geometry, like patterns, convert entities, etc. that are easier and work better in 90% of cases.

Tom Gagnon

Just to be contrary, there is another way to achieve what I understand that you want.

Create lower weldment.

Create Linear Pattern along Y axis to copy the bodies.

Any changes to the lower one should carry forward to the upper one.

However, others are instructing you toward better use and understanding of Weldments, which I encourage. Josh Brady's advice is solid.

Kevin Chandler

Hello,

Along the lines of Mr. Gagnon's and Mr. Brady's posts, I'll also suggest leveraging patterning and mirroring tools for duplicate members.

With two mirrors, an axis created from Front & Right and a circular pattern, I got the 8 members:

Also, within each structural member, you can select multiple lines for duplicate members and alter their orientation if need be.

Kevin

Andreas Rhomberg

Vince, take a look at the built in Tutorials, they will show you the basic steps and get you familiar with the most common Features and commands.