6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 14, 2018 12:55 AM by William Ching

Issue with modelling internal flow of industrial factory

William Ching

Hi,

I am trying to simulate an industrial factory with heat sources however i cannot get the correct results. I keep on receiving ridiculous values from the solver. My input is 38.9 degrees into the roller shutter, thats my boundary condition.

Also, I am wondering whats the difference between initial conditions and boundary conditions, if i put them both as the same temperature, humidity etc. would that affect the result?

And i am using fans to improve the ventilation while also modelling natural ventilation. I have attached my model below.

It would be much appreciated for any inputs to get realistic values.

Thanks

Capture.PNG

• Re: Issue with modelling internal flow of industrial factory
          Janko Stellaard

Please add the parts to the zip-file, only the assembly-file is not sufficient

Mark Keown

Keep it simple and slowly build in details.

Assuming all the heat goes into the air.  (This is an incorrect assumption but I will keep going.  You will have heat transfer through the building walls).

Some air is entering the box and the same amount of air must leave the box.  The amount of power that the air picks up must be the same as the amount of power you are putting into the simulation.  Use the below relation to get an idea of what is going on.  We are not checking if Flow is correct we are checking if your inputs are correct.

It looks like you have 36,750 watts going into the box.  So if for example if deltaT is say 30°, G would need to be ~4k m^3/sec air  What are your fans rated at?

William Ching

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your email.

I have used adidbatic walls as the factory is a unit connected with other concrete walls. I have inputted 28000W to each of the two CNC machines coming  from the motor heat. I am using a roof exhaust and supply fan to improve the ventilation. my required airflow is 2666L/S with 10 ACH for factory. I was not sure about the input for fan selection for the static pressure hence i used 100 PA static.

Any help would be appreciated. thank you

Mark Keown

In the engineering data base select fans.

Create a user defined fan and enter the fan curve from the manufactures fan curve plot.  Flow Simulation will figure out the operating point.

In most systems like this - the biggest flow resistances is at the grill / filter air entrance to the building (enclosure) and the exit grill, ducting, ...   Have the air inlet low as possible (at floor level) and the air exit high as reasonable to take advantage of natural convection. 

I was just at a new cafe with all new gear in the kitchen.  The fans over the stove pulled enough vacuum that people could not push the front door open.  This problem did not last but a day or so - but don't make the same error.