8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 11, 2018 5:42 PM by Kevin Chandler

CSWP Practice Exam Question 4

Josh Barnett

Hello all,

Practicing for the CSWP today, I've had quite a few issues with the software today (Two conflicting versions of SW on one machine, different issue)

Ok well my issue is, I have completed the practice exam up to question 4 with the correct answers, I think I have everything covered.

But when I go to get the mass properties, I am underweight by EXACTLY 35 GRAMS.

I can't find the error for the life of me, and am wore out running around trying to fix the software issue today.

I had the correct answer for question 3 within 0.01 grams, so I must have skipped a vital step.

Please take a look and let me know what I missed. TIA!

• Re: CSWP Practice Exam Question 4
          Walter Fetsch

How about posting the exam question?

Kevin Chandler

I believe what's missing is the drawing file showing the dims as indicated on the practice exam.

I suggest you create a drawing to the extent required of the question(s) and you'll readily see what's not quite right.

You may think it chews unnecessary time, but so does opening each feature and sketch one at a time trying to see what's not right and then assuming your correction is correct. With a drawing, once you place a dim, section, etc. it's done once and it's there every time it's needed.

Also, pack and go/copy as new for similar questions that alter things (and name according to the question number).

Come review time, each question can be readily examined in its own files.

Even for downstream modified files: say an error for Q1 got copied into Q4's part, decipher Q1's boo-boo and you'll know what to quickly change for Q4 to fix things there, too.

I hope this helps.

Kevin

Josh Barnett

Seeing what the issue was now, I just overlooked it completely and given a little more time after 5pm I could have eventually found it. Like stated, I was having software issues with SW yesterday.

Had my VAR do a fresh install and everything is working great.

But as far as the drawing review is concerned I will definitely add that to my checklist, because during the test I won't have 8 hours to wait for a reply.

Thank you for the suggestion!!

Kevin Chandler

Josh Barnett wrote:

Seeing what the issue was now, I just overlooked it completely and given a little more time after 5pm I could have eventually found it. Like stated, I was having software issues with SW yesterday.

Had my VAR do a fresh install and everything is working great.

But as far as the drawing review is concerned I will definitely add that to my checklist, because during the test I won't have 8 hours to wait for a reply.

Thank you for the suggestion!!

Good luck with your exam.

And on your exam questions drawings, don't forget to toggle to shaded occasionally to catch an oops like Mr. Gupta showed in his reply. These may not may not be readily visible otherwise.

Kevin

Craig Girvan

I had a look at your model and it looks like the issue was just with the last revolve cut to remove some material from the cylinder that has the issue. I recreated this using just an extruded cut (offset from the start face by 30) and for 30mm. For the profile I used convert entities on the outside, offset entities for the inside (by 10) and draw 2 straight lines that are colinear with the bottom tab/rib part. Changing how this one section was complete gave me 13206.39 grams which should be the correct answer.

If you look at the model you attached the revolve cut is removing material that it should not underneath.

Hope this helps

Craig

Josh Barnett

I initially tried to revolve a rectangle from the vertical face below the cylinder, but guess the plane being offset from the axis of rotation won't work. I ended up converting the entities below and extruding the rectangle upwards. This helps after the fact of the mistake.

I think in the future I will step back and try similar cuts w/o using the revolved cut. This process came to mind initially but I missed the fact it wasn't a full 360* cut.

Deepak Gupta

As Craig has mentioned, the issue is the revolved cut. Fix that and you should be all good