2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2018 1:33 PM by Josh Brady

Where do I begin to model these two parts? I only have very limited experience modeling.

Kevin Ubau

My job basically is throwing me into the wolves with this one. Knurls, threads, slanted cuts.... I don't even know where to begin. I just to a basic modeling class and they never covered any of that stuff. I've just been making simple revolved parts with chamfers and radii. This is a whole other league for me. Any help would be appreciated. I've attached a pdf of the hand drawn.

• Re: Where do I begin to model these two parts? I only have very limited experience modeling.
          Dennis Dohogne

Kevin Ubau wrote:

My job basically is throwing me into the wolves with this one. Knurls, threads, slanted cuts.... I don't even know where to begin. I just to a basic modeling class and they never covered any of that stuff. I've just been making simple revolved parts with chamfers and radii. This is a whole other league for me. Any help would be appreciated. I've attached a pdf of the hand drawn.

Kevin, I feel for you, but you are on the right track.

First, post the file of your effort.

Second, search this forum for specifics (use this:  Forum SEARCH RESULTS - Over 160,000 Search Returns - Excel (10/8/2018) Updated)

Third, at the first opportunity you should diligently go through the built-in SWX tutorials.  You will be amazed at how it will shorten your learning curve.

Fourth, in most cases it is not necessary to model actual helical threads.  If you absolutely must do this then search the SWX help to see how they make it easy.  Cosmetic threads are as simple a couple of clicks and are usually all that is needed.

Fifth, if this is not a custom part then you might be able to find it perfectly suitably modeled at McMaster-Carr.

• Re: Where do I begin to model these two parts? I only have very limited experience modeling.
            Josh Brady

I would echo Dennis's response regarding threads, and add that you can probably treat the knurls in exactly the same manner.

One of the most important things to understand when modeling is the level of detail that's required from the model.  If all you're needing is a model such that you can re-create this drawing view in CAD, there's no need to actually model the knurls.  In fact, the only reason I could see to really model the knurling would be if you're trying to do photorealistic renders.  Other than the threads and the knurling, this is just a simple revolve with a slot cut in it, right?