12 Replies Latest reply on Oct 10, 2018 8:28 AM by Frederick Law

Feature Manager Tree Graphic Issue

Chris James

Lately I've been noticing an increase in this problem. I've fought with my IT dept about getting the latest service packs and a new Firepro or Quadro Card. After months I finally got them to update my service pack to 4.0 and they ended up giving me a gaming graphics card......which fixed some artifacting issues I was getting, but now other issues are popping up and I think this is another graphics card problem, but I could be wrong, so anyways....

See the attached. You'll see that sometimes I open parts/assemblies and the feature manager tree is not showing any features or parts/subassemblies depending on what I have open. It doesn't happen on every file, but I'm noticing it happen more often. The tree also, freezes up so I can't click on parts from the tree, but can select them in the model view. It just seems to affect the feature manager tree area.

Do you think this is a graphics card issue or a bug the hopefully the 5.0 sp will fix?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

SW 2018 SP 4.0

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650Ti card

i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20 GHz

64 GB RAM

• Re: Feature Manager Tree Graphic Issue
          Glenn Schroeder

I don't see that attachment you referred to, but my money is on it being a graphics card issue.  Gaming cards generally aren't certified by SolidWorks.

Did your IT department not look into suitability before getting the card?  Never mind.  The answer is fairly obvious.

Matt Peneguy

Chris James,

So sorry you have to deal with a hostile IT section.

Contact your VAR and ask them to write an email explaining the problems you are experiencing are due to an unsupported video card and that they cannot fix the issue because of the fact that the card is "unsupported".  Find that IT jack @#@'s supervisor and send that to him and explain the situation.  If he doesn't take it seriously, go up the chain.  IT is supposed to be support, not adversaries!

Chris James

Hi Matt,

Thanks for your input, but if you only knew my situation over here......Nobody stands up for you and it's basically you against the entire company. They don't care about the guys doing the work. I have tried telling everyone, my boss, my boss's boss. HR, IT Admin (who is pointless) and nobody has Solidworks experience other than myself, yet they won't listen to a damn thing I tell them, because they think the IT Admin (who's a friggen idiot) knows what I need. So even though I know its a graphics card issue, they won't do what I've been asking them to do for the past 9 months. Because they want to "think" they are right.

Anna Wood

They gave you an old graphics card that was first released in 2012?  Where did your IT admin dig that up from?  Their basement or some old clapped out system?  Could be an eBay find or refurb.

I feel for you...  As others have suggested, the job market is very good for those seeking to move into better situations.

Matt Peneguy

And, your supervisor isn't supporting you... Sounds like not such a good job.  Good managers make sure their employees have what they need and remove obstacles from their workflow.

Maybe Glenn and Anna are right.

Chris James

Thank you all for your input. I had to laugh at some of the comments, because they are so true and in most if not all of them, I have done what you have all suggested. I agree 100% with EVERY bit of input you all have suggested. I think it really comes down to me having to buy my own card, So Under $100, would either of those 2 cards be suitable for dual monitors (we have the dvi/vga cables) & rendering with Realview as well? I had a Firepro W5100 that worked fine, but IT didn't want to install the driver certified and tested by Solidworks for that card (he only installs drivers that Dell recommends), so they got me a "new" computer (which is actually as old as this "new 2012" graphics card) with a Firepro W4100, which was starting to give me weird artifacting issues, then they maxed out my ram, then they added this gaming card I have now. All of this nonsense and all I asked for 9 month ago was to update my graphics card driver and update to latest service pack....holy crap. I'm getting a headache just from remembering all this crap I'd had to go through with them.

Thanks,

Chris