7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 10, 2018 2:49 AM by Jack Giblin

Adding a GUI to my equations?

Jack Giblin

Hey Guys,

I am designing a parametric model of one of our components where the dimensions are being driven by equations.

But because there are so many dimensions and parts which can be suppressed/unsuppressed the equation manager is getting pretty hectic.

I was wondering if there is a way to link my equation variables to an external program such as excel or access, so I can make a simple UI for my variables which could be easily edited by somebody who doesn’t have a lot of experience with solidworks?

I know about the design table function in configurations but I haven’t found a way to link my equations to it (yet) 

I know this is a long shot, I haven’t found anything on google about doing this but it cant hurt to ask.

Thanks in advance.

• Re: Adding a GUI to my equations?
          Ignacio Vital

Hi Jack,

I think that Design Table is what you're looking for.

You can have a Design Table with an unique configuration.

You must see the following topics from Mauricio Martinez-Saez:

DT driving an entire Assembly 

Configuring a Top-down Assembly from outside SW - User Input without opening SolidWorks.

You can download the models, learn about how the funcionality was implemented and try to apply for your models.

Right now, I don't have a model to show you, but I think that, with these topics, you could achieve what you're searching.

Rob Edwards

Jack Giblin wrote:

Hey Guys,

I am designing a parametric model of one of our components where the dimensions are being driven by equations.

But because there are so many dimensions and parts which can be suppressed/unsuppressed the equation manager is getting pretty hectic.

I was wondering if there is a way to link my equation variables to an external program such as excel or access, so I can make a simple UI for my variables which could be easily edited by somebody who doesn’t have a lot of experience with solidworks?

I know about the design table function in configurations but I haven’t found a way to link my equations to it (yet)

I know this is a long shot, I haven’t found anything on google about doing this but it cant hurt to ask.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Jack

It's a lot easier than you think

What's not showing here is the apostrophe, which tells excel that this is literal text not an excel equation.

eg - Here's the formula bar

Hope that helps

Ignacio Vital

Thank you Rob,

I didn't know I could do that.

I have auxiliary sketchs which I use the dimensions to drive another things. I relate the global variables with the dimensions inside SW not outside.

I have to take a look at this.

Jack Giblin

Brilliant, Thanks Rob.

Just a quick question, are the equations being created from the design table in your example? or did you create the equations and then import them into your design table?

I only ask because when i create a design table and import my equations, I don't seem to have the "$VALUE" column like you do.

In my case would solidworks be able to read the value from the name of the dimension? instead of having a numerical value?

for instance on your example would it know that '="A" is 100 without having the "$VALUE" column stating it is 100?

otherwise im going to need a lot of "$VALUE" columns for all of my dimensions  

apologies for being a bit slow here, I haven't really used design tables before.

Rob Edwards

Hi Jack

Good question.

I generally like to get Solidworks to create my design table for me, so my workflow goes something like

create my model and add equations, gvs etc

add a single configuration, I normally call it 'poop'..  it's just a temporary thing!

I then set anything I want in my design table to be configured, using the equations dialog for dimensions/equations and global variables like this

I'll also configure any features I want including.

That way Solidworks adds all the column headers into the DT for me.

I then use the design table to create all of the configs I want.

You don't need a DT you can just switch between configs in the equations dialog.

re: $VALUE  The column headers will need to use the appropriate syntax, but the values for the equations is just text (Excel doesn't know or care what they are) so the syntax used is what Solidworks is expecting in equations.  ie "A"

Hope that helps all the best.