3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 8, 2018 11:13 PM by Ryan Dark

Buckling true scale graph vs. load factor

Myname Thelastone

Im curious to know how to interpret a buckling analysis in which the graph shows buckling on a scale of 1:1 (can be seen in the image below, but the load factor is almost 3000.

Will the part fail? Or is it supposed to have a buckling factor of safety of almost 3000?

I doubt it is the latter since the buckle appears near a 1/2" aluminium tube with 0.0625" thick walls. Theres a 5 kgf downward load and a 5 Nm torque on the part (right face), so I highly doubt that small tube can withstand anything near a 1000 kgf load.

What am I missing?

Used Global Contact - Bonded

buckling.png

• Re: Buckling true scale graph vs. load factor
          Ryan Dark

Hi Myname,

The plots that you get from a buckling analysis are not true deformations.  They are a qualitative descriptor of how the buckling failure is expected to occur to give you some idea of where on the model is buckling.  So, in your case, your model might be expected to fail in a buckling failure mode at 3000 times the applied load.

Now, this is just for a buckling load failure.  You are probably right in thinking it will stress fail before then so you would want to put the same boundary setup into a static load study and see if the model yields at a lower applied load.