19 Replies Latest reply on Nov 4, 2018 7:12 PM by Will Hovik

Dual Xeon CPUs?

Will Hovik

Hi everyone!

I'm currently working towards building a workstation and one of the items to consider is CPU.

We might be putting together a machine with two NVIDIA GV100's with one Xeon processor, but have a question.

My question is:

If we will be using this machine for other applications that benefit from Dual Xeon processors, so does Visualize benefit/support dual CPU's?

I know SolidWorks doesn't really benefit from it but how about Visualize Rendering?

Thanks!

• Re: Dual Xeon CPUs?
          Scott Ellery

If you are looking at dual GV100's you will never use CPU rendering in visualize as it would be massively slower , if there are other applications that can benefit from dual Xeons then great but the GV100's will be enough to make visualize screaming quick.

a quick note with SOLIDWORKS , it does depend on the operation within SOLIDWORKS as to whether or not you can utilize more than one core that being said I do not think dual CPU would help unless you were doing alot of Simulation studies as it can take advantage of multiple CPU cores. but generally with SOLIDWORKS its more about clock speed than cores.

Will Hovik

Thanks for your feedback!

Right, I know that the GPU's will be largely prioritized but my question is does Visualize even support multi-core computing?

I know there is a hybrid mode you can use when rendering and I'm wondering if it would benefit to use that vs solely GPU based, just because if I am going to have the processors there maybe I should try utilizing my whole machine?

And yeah, the reason I might be getting the dual Xeons is for another program not SolidWorks.

Ben Langdon

if you are getting gv100's you would prob want a program better for rendering than visualize, i hear great things about keyshot and i think it integrates with visulize or something. just a heads up that other programs might use different resources

Scott Ellery

certainly there are other rendering packages out there but I would make sure to understand feature differences ,  the first being that as far as I know keyshot does not support GPU rendering which would render (no pun intended!) the GV100's useless.

I have also found Keyshot a lot more complex than visualize , this is IMO of course, and is achieving the same results :

both have physically accurate render engines, visualize with Nvidia IRAY and Keyshot with Luxions so they will get close or exactly the same results.

I encourage everyone to explore different packages and choose the best for their application.

Ron Bates

Visualize will use all CPU cores available (when you haven't selected it to use GPU only...ie Hybrid mode or CPU mode).

Matthew Page

Dual GV100s?!?  Nope, you won't want to have your CPU touch a single pixel if that's what you are running so dual CPUs would not be needed at all.  Maybe look into a single Xeon W-2145 (running non-hyper threaded) with a few sticks of ECC RAM to run simulations/motion studies and let the GPUs demolish the rendering.

Heiko Sohnholz

... 32GB if you can afford.

Hi,

were talking about two NVidia GV100 Cards, around EUR 8.000 each!

So drop in 64 GB RAM. Period.

I wouldn't recommend a dual CPU - you don't need this for Viz or SWX either.

Cheers, Heiko

Kamil Wilkosz

Will, I think, you should clarify how fast your render has to be done. In my opinion:

1. In SW Visualize you should think about your graphic card. The hybrid mode will not take the same improvment as use just better graphic card. I think it's really not needed to use two very strong graphic card, especially when new AI Denoiser technology is available since SW Visualize 2018 SP3. I think you should take just one, strong and recommended graphic card.

2. SOLIDWORKS doesn't get extra boost if you will use 2xCPUs. Remember that some of algorithm cannot be split to a few cores.

Recommendation it to use only one, strong with high clock speed (I mean GHz) CPU. 2xCPUs is solution which are recommended to use on servers like SQL servers or another machine with databases.

However, If you're thinking and you really need very high performance for your SW Visualize, take a look for NVidia VCA solution.

Remember that another good solution can be buy a few machines and "connect" them via SW Visualize Boost.

One more thing, sometimes the hardware resellers allow to "borrow" strong machine for tests, maybe it will be some kind for solution for you, you will be able to verify how strong machine you really need.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Kamil

Rich Fagioli

My question is:

If we will be using this machine for other applications that benefit from Dual Xeon processors, so does Visualize benefit/support dual CPU's?

From what I've recently seen of the latest CPU capacities and applications, multitasking is the future. From a "Wired" magazine article:

Gaming processor performance increasingly needs to be measured not just in power and speed, but in how well it multitasks. Gameplay no longer happens in isolation; it gets streamed over Twitch, and edited and uploaded to YouTube. That’s where those threads come in handy; the more a PC has to work with, the more dedicated tasks it can juggle simultaneously without choking up or slowing down.

“It’s actually a really huge part of it now,” says Moorhead of this so-called megatasking (Intel’s term). “I do think it’s a large use case, if you look at the amount of Twitch accounts that are out there, those people are all streaming games live, but they’re also doing these ‘brag clips,’ as I call them, where they take the best clips from the game and edit them with funny voiceovers, do video overlays.”

Intel has revamped the X-Series as well, once again offering up to 18 cores and 36 threads. These are strictly for professionals, which the other improvements reflect: up to 68 PCIe lanes, to accommodate multiple video cards and such, and the ability to dedicate the two fastest cores to your most critical workloads. It’ll be available in November.

My own experience with my set-up is very similar; I hog up the GPU with Visualize, but my tower glows red as I also have Photoshop, 25 different Chrome tabs, and a custom back-end database manager running simultaneously. I cannot use Visualize and Solidworks simultaneously. Computer lock-up, in my case is rare, but it does happen. So, maybe dual processors is wasted on Visualize, but depending on your multitasking load, having extra CPU capacity might assure some level of future-proofing, particularly if planning on working with 4K.

my two cents....

Jason Edelman

As far as I know the advantage of a Xeon is the ECC memory capability and limiting 'crashes' on looong render times.

There are a few advantages of using 'Desktop' CPUs; the cost to performance factor and off-the-shelf hardware availability.

You did not asking about GPUs advise, but my (unvalidated guess) would be the RTX 6000 is a better option that a GV100

Dave Goetsch

A note from a simple end user. I ran a render of the 1969 Camero with just GPU, it finished in 38 seconds. When I ran the exact same render in Hybrid mode using both GPU and CPU the render completed in the exact same amount of time, 38 seconds. NOT 1 second faster when using both GPU & CPU. This is with dual Xeon E5-2680's v3 with 24 cores and 48 threads. $4,000.00 worth of CPU's did not contribute 1 second to render times. 

This is actually hard to believe but I saw it with my own eyes. This leads me to believe that Visualize did not use the CPU's at all even though I was rendering in Hybrid mode. I can only assume that Visualize sees the speed of the GPU's and CPU's and if Visualize doesn't think the CPU's will contribute much they just don't use them, even if in Hybrid mode. I really can't think of any other reason.

Maybe the Visualize Guys can explain what's going on ?