54 Replies Latest reply on Oct 3, 2018 12:44 PM by Paul Salvador

cotation

Benoit Massaux

Il est devenu presque impossible de travailler normalement avec solidworks.

La cotation est devenue extrêmement pénible.

Pourquoi ?

Je veux pouvoir travailler avec mon programme et pas m'enervé pour mettre deux cotes.

Il est bientôt nécessaire de sauver ses plans en autocad pour simplement pouvoir les coté.

Ce n'est pas normal.

It has become almost impossible to work normally with solidworks.
      The rating became extremely painful.
      Why ?
      I want to be able to work with my program and not pestered to put two odds.
      It is soon necessary to save his plans in autocad to simply be able to side.
      It is not normal.

• Re: cotation
          Glenn Schroeder

Many of us work with SW drawings without great problems.  If you could be more specific about the issues you are having we might be able to help.  What regressions are you referring to?

Benoit Massaux

Hello I'm talking about regression because
              since the last revision, it became very painful aside a plan.
              You improved a lot of things and that's fine. But this is done at the expense
              of the essential, to be able to make a plan listed.
              We are almost obliged to save the plans in autocad to be able to rate them.
              If I discovered solidworks now, I would advise my boss to buy it. he has come
              to no avail.
              It's not acceptable anymore.
              If this is not corrected quickly, we will ask to change the software. Please
              take the necessary steps to correct this.

Thank you

John Stoltzfus

Benoit Massaux - are you using 2018?

There is no regression that I'm aware of

James Riddell

Your question loses something in the translation.

Benoit Massaux

I ask all my colleagues, it confirms the hardness of the work of quotation since the last revision.

Benoit Massaux

This discussion is futile.
                      The information must be sent to the development team as soon as possible.
                      We can not continue working like that any longer.
                      Solid works is no longer usable professionally. we can play with it, and make pretty three d's, but we can not make plans anymore.
                      We have checked the hardware compatibility, the update of the software.

Glenn Schroeder

As I said above, many of us create drawings with Solidworks without any problems, and find it very usable professionally, but if you won't specify what the problems are we can't help, and no one else will be able to either.

There have been a number of problems reported here when an automatic graphics card driver update made the software stop working properly, and reverting to an older driver fixed the problem.  Could that be your issue?

Rubén Rodolfo Balderrama

Glenn I think he has some problems with standard for make drawings, If he is from France, they use Metric and AFNOR standards "mm and Kg" first Angle of proyection and "Z" up.

I think if you don't use templates you must to change on each drawing....it will be so tedius at the end of the day.

But I'm suppose.

James Riddell

Benoit Massaux I take it that your company works almost exclusively with 2D CAD drafting as your output.  Is that correct?  I don't know what industry you are in but if it is architecture, structural, or civil then I would agree that SWX is probably not a great solution.  My experience has been that the drafting portion of all CAD programs (except perhaps for AutoCAD) is an afterthought that is added but mostly ignored.

Matthew Lorono

James,  In 1995, drawings was an afterthought.  Not so much today.  Drawings is typically one of the largest sections in the What's New document every year for SOLIDWORKS.  We also been pushing hard for improved quality and performance on drawings in recent releases.  As far as architectural and civic purposes in drawings, these haven't been the primary focus since they would require something on the 3D Modelling side from which the drawings are made.

However, I don't think Benoit's issue is this, since it seems his company used SW successfully in a previous revision. 

John Stoltzfus

Benoit Massaux - might be a good time to retire or flip burgers, SolidWorks actually works on this side of the Ocean..  You really don't have to us SW, there is SketchUp...

Rubén Rodolfo Balderrama

You must to use template for dimensioning and so and so. This is your work to made all easy peasy......Show me some examples as you used at yor company and I will made some templates to help you.

Here we use similar standard as European Metric, first angle of proyection, maybe it will be useful to you.

Allmost the people here has Imperial Inches, third angle of proyection if you needed too.

As you see too the triad it's not similar to another CAD system but I resolved too.

If you show Us some examples maybe We can help you buddy.

Benoit Massaux

The situation is deteriorating from version to version.
                                    If I allow myself to report it, it is because I have already told my dealer and that we have checked all the parameters.
                                    Update, hardware compatibility, removal of background program ...
                                    As the level of complexity of the plan increases or if there is more than one view and cut, the rating becomes extremely difficult.

We fabricate tanks, we can not say that the model is extremely complex. at most two or three subassemblies, and some detail.
                                    and the models do not change.
                                    Since the last two revision, the rating becomes very difficult.
                                    it becomes very difficult to hang the odds, and to select the lines.
                                    we have to do it ten times to just put a quote.

Rubén Rodolfo Balderrama

Only to have an idea of your work

Tank for pressure vessel or a war tank?

Sometime to has a clear section you must to setup deep of section to has a clean correct view, double lines will be changed if you need too. Can you show any older design on CAD for example and how is your result now with your SW.

Here you got good pals, who has hugge expertise and can help if you show some examples.

Benoit Massaux

I have to ask confirmation of the degradation to several engineering. I am waiting for confirmation.
                                            It's tanks under pressure.
                                            One shell, two bottoms, and ten to thirteen nozzles, some men's holes. nothing complicated for the program. we did not have this problem before.
                                            We use very few configurations, maximum two or three levels of assembly.
                                            Our bikes follow without problems, we do not use even the bandwidth of the network. there is no reconstruction error. in short nothing special that will justify the degradation of use, apart from updating the software.

Robert Marsillo

Benoît, pouvez-vous être plus précis sur votre problème avec le module de cotation dans Solidworks. Je ne n'utilise pas le module de calcul des coûts inclus dans SolidWorks. Si vous pouvez identifier le problème, je peux traduire votre problème et peut-être qu'un membre du forum pourra vous aider.

I believe that Benoit is struggling with the costing module with SolidWorks.  My French isn't the greatest, however he seems completely frustrated. He hasn't gone into great detail as to specifically what issues he is having with the costing module.  I don't use the module, and therefore can help much. I have asked him to pinpoint the issue and I am willing to translate his problem and hopefully someone on here can give him a hand.

Benoit Massaux

Nous constatons tous une très nette dégradation de la cotation.

A partir d’un certain point de complexité ou du nombre de vue, de coupe, ou de détails,
                                            il deviens très très pénible de simplement mettre une cote.

Il s’accroche difficilement au lignes, et quand il prend une ligne, … ce n’est jamais la
                                            bonne.
                                            Nous n’avions pas ce genre de problème avant.

Nos modèle ne sont pas d’une complexité extrême.

Nous avons vérifié le matériel, les software, les mises à jours… la seul réponse du
                                            dealer, fut d’utiliser F5 pour faciliter la cotation.

Franchement
                                            si je découvrais maintenant SolidWorks, je ne le choisirai pas. C’est devenu trop
                                            pénible de simplement placer les cotes

Donc je signale simplement une très nette dégradation du confort d’utilisation de la
                                            mise en plan.
                                            We all see a very sharp decline in the rating.
                                            From a certain point of complexity or the number of views, cuts, or details, it becomes very very painful to simply put a dimension.
                                            He clings hard to the lines, and when he takes a line, it's never the right one.
                                            We did not have that kind of problem before.

Our models are not extremely complex.
                                            We checked the hardware, the software, the updates ... the only answer of the dealer, was to use F5 to facilitate the quotation.

Frankly, if I discovered SolidWorks now, I will not choose it. It has become too painful to just place the odds
                                            So I just point out a very clear degradation of the comfort of use of the drawing.

Benoit Massaux

We do not use the cost calculation model

We try do drawing as same of before, simply use solidworks to do drawing, but this is now very complicate

Robert Marsillo

Merci Benoit, désolé de ne pas comprendre clairement le problème au debut. J'ai une meilleure idée maintenant et je vais traduire votre problème en espérant que quelqu'un ici pourra vous aider.

Benoit's issues have nothing to do with the costing module and solely to do with dimensioning. He seems to be having difficulty adding dimensions on section views and I'm guessing enlarged details.  When he zooms into a view in order to select an object (line) for dimensioning, it always seems to be selecting the incorrect line.  He recalls not having this issue with previous releases of SolidWorks.  I believe it is for this reason that he is suggesting that SolidWorks seems to be regressing.  I personally have never had this is issue.  He's stated that he has had the software and hardware that he is running verified and that all is good working order.  He was told to use F5 key to refresh his view while dimensioning, but it doesn't not seem to help.

If anyone on here can give him a helping hand, he would greatly appreciate it.

Vladimir Urazhdin

If you need a real help, my advice: try to simplify and then upload your assembly w/dwg for review. Otherwise the post is just bunch of negative emotions.

Chris Saller

Is there an actual problem to help with? I don't have the issues with SW that I read most of the time.

It feels like a circle focus group in a room here... lol

James Riddell

...they were probably sour grapes anyway.  ~Aesop

Benoit Massaux

Does it really help you to see a cilinder on a parry? Do you think I need to upgrade to do this? must still sell hamburger? is it normal to put more than ten minutes to put these two odds? Do you really think that a forum frequented by a prominent solidworks user can really bring a useful reponse to this excistantial problem? why since the update I need more than ten muinutes to put two odds on a cilinder?

David Matula

I used to work with tanks.  Them darn old round sheet metal ones that where 10 ft to 15ft in dia.  and 25ft tall.

Just getting the first model together was a pain.  Then there were the others that came a long.  the specials/custom designs.

Each became faster, and easier.

I had come up with work arounds for turning a detail view into a block so that I would not take 20 min to load a drawing.  I learned that there are times that you need to make the detail view circle 5 x bigger than the part to show the whole view to be able to add a little dimension that would not show up other wise.

One must become creative and think outside the box when doing new things with the program.  Experimentations on different methods of how to build parts and assemblies are always needed.  some may make it better and some may make it worse.  I liked using the old relating parts to sketches when I was working tanks.  Change a sketch height and angle and the fittings would move.  Once I got that set up everything ran smooth.

Matthew Lorono

David,

What version where you using at the time?  First, would you be able to provide models that demonstrate the performance you described with detail views.  Second, you can save any view as a sketch.  It's in the RMB menu for the view.  Third, you can dimension between a detail view and its parent view in order to get a foreshortened dimension within the detail view, with no special tricks.

David Matula

that was way back in the day before you did my enhancement request.  think that may have been 2008 or 9.  some ancient stuff but some of the tricks may still work if one is having troubles.  I was even working on a gaming system they thought would have been a good fit for a 3d cad software machine.  want to talk about frustrations....takes a little time to say hay they gave me the machine and all I can do is what I can do with it. 

Paul Salvador

Benoit,.. feel for you man,.. drawing performance has never been SW forte.

(btw, my best interpretation for "cotation") 

encephalogram.png