55 Replies Latest reply on Oct 12, 2018 11:22 AM by John Stoltzfus

ONE and TWO, are they making any headway? your opinion...

Dan Golthing

I seem to still be having lots of stability issues as well as other glitches.  Is anyone noticing any improvements?

• Re: ONE and TWO, are they making any headway? your opinion...
          Dave Bear

There is absolutely no doubt that ONE and TWO has had a MASSIVE impact and continues to do so.

There are numerous threads where this is evident. SolidWorks/Dassault have listened and are still listening and even as recent as last month they invited two esteemed forum users to their headquarters so that users general feelings and comments could be received. There are in depth posts on this.

Huge credit should be given to SolidWorks/Dassault staff for liasing with different user representatives on a frequent basis so that they are in touch with what we as users really want. And yes, they are working hard to fix the areas we deem important. This is ongoing however and we as users need to participate with constructive and productive feedback so that the powers that be have useful information to work with.

If you have followed ONE and TWO since it's rocky inception, you'll see that it is now a fruitful and viable two-way line of communication with staff that DO want to help.

Dave.

John Stoltzfus

Dan Golthing - The complexity and the flexibility of the software, coupled with a 100 different ways of doing things and having millions of seats being used, on top of that there are a lot of different user expertise, makes for a super challenge for SolidWorks Developers.

I feel its' still up to us users to learn what SW can do and how it works, even if we have to change our workflow.  I said it before and I'll say it again, most issues are User Inputs/Design Intent.. etc.  If something doesn't work the way you or whoever wants them to, then don't do it, figure something out that works, for me Designing with SolidWorks can be a challenge, but "Fun"....

Did you ever contact any of the people from SW and have them come to your facility, if not try it, they are required to make a certain number of client visits per year..

I know for sure that they took ONE & TWO seriously and are still committed in stabilizing the product, however what they need is for people to load SolidWorks SP0 rather then waiting till SP3, this is probably there biggest challenge, because if most of the people don't load till SP3 then the amount of unsolved bugs is much higher for SP5 and some of those issues won't be taken care of till the next release, instead of having a lot of stuff fixed by SP5.

btw - you could have posted on the ONE TWO post rather then starting a new one, as there are a lot of SW employees watching that thread and this topic will be buried in about 10 days and hardly ever seen again...

Dennis Dohogne

And since we are referring to the ONE and TWO post. . .  ONE and TWO

Dan Pihlaja

I am definitely seeing a LOT more feedback from Solidworks, and since I have begun to actually use the system that they have in place for reporting things, I have seen improvements.

One example is this, that I posted in the kitty dump:

If Solidworks receives no feedback from anyone on issues, then how will they fix things?  Remember....no news is good news when it comes to whether or not a software is working correctly.

Yes, I know that lots of people bring it to the forums and call it good enough....but that isn't good enough.  For 1, Solidworks would have to hire someone specifically to sort through, and figure out the good from the bad.

So the system works....it just needs to be used.

I have said this before and I will say it again, deciding not to use the current system to report issues and vote on them, and still expecting results is like getting into an airplane and deciding that flapping your arms is the way to fly....instead of using the system that was designed to fly the airplane.

Report issues to you VAR....make sure that they don't just leave you with a work around and get an SPR number from them.  Then vote on it and post it on the forum to see if other people are having the same issue and if they are....have them vote on it.

If you need help with any of that....let us know. 

Dan Golthing

I'm going on the 20 year mark with SWX and over 50,000 hours of usage.  I was directly involved with the top brass back in the early 2000's and helped with many major improvements.  I do use the feedback channels, but SolidWorks can be deaf on a lot of things.

for instance, John mentioned that SWX needs to get people to load the software sooner.  We're all scared to load it before SP 3 or 4. 

many of us have suggested ways to improve the feedback loop through enhanced Beta program (such as paying top users good money to beta test the software) and incentivizing ALL SWX users to report bugs and request enhancements.  THIS could go a long way to having more robust initial releases.

I've mentioned it before, that I've directly contributed to MAJOR upgrades in the software throughout the years, helping to greatly improve the product, yet I got nothing.  Not even a thanks. 

If someone walks into your business, points out some major improvements to your product line, and you implement it with great success, is this individual worthy of no recompense?

Some rubes here on the forum will then say, well you get to use the enhanced functionality.  Yes, sure, but is this really the way to motivate ALL the users to contribute.  I can say 100% that it is not.  A reward system could go a long way to catching more bugs and more enhancements.

In fact, almost every SolidWorks user I know has mentioned numerous problems with the software and almost all refuse to become part of the feedback loop due to the "hassle".  So they would rather live with the bug or find a workaround.

This is an unhealthy business practice.

SolidWorks:

-Identify 100 of your top users (most vocal, complain the most, submit the most bug reports, etc) and PAY them handsomely to beta test your product.  Give them a direct path for feedback.  Keep them year after year based on their helpfulness.  If they aren't helpful, replace them with other prospective power users.  ENSURE SP 0 isn't a steaming pile so we can actually use what we have paid for!!!

-Incentivize ALL users to report bugs and submit enhancement requests.  Create a points-based system for any legitimate bug and any implemented ER whereby points can purchase anything from promotional trinkets such as SWX t-shirts and other swag all the way up to free software or waived maintenance for a high enough level of support.

One user I know a couple of years ago submitted an ER for Simulation to identify underconstrained bodies.  SWX thankfully implemented it, and it's freaking awesome.  I use it all the time.  I consider this a huge enhancement.  It can greatly improve productivity, for those of you who are familiar with Simulation and complex mechanism analysis.  sometimes you could spend hours trying to figure out why a model wasn't stable.  Now with this enhancement, the software does it for you.

This was an invention, handed over to SolidWorks by a user.  In return, the user got nothing.  Not even a thanks. 

I've got many other examples and I'm sure you do too.

I consider this a horrible way to do business.  

John Stoltzfus

Dan Golthing  wrote:

This was an invention, handed over to SolidWorks by a user. In return, the user got nothing. Not even a thanks.

Good chance that well over a million users got something in return, surely...  There were a lot of people that were recognized for their input and efforts within the community...  No difference if you'd do the same for any company, first thing to do is not share it, till its' protected properly and then take the cow home and milk it.  Also no difference to us how much of our knowledge (what little we have), is shared here on the forum, many a times we share our expertise with no thought of pay, we do it because we want to help make the product and processes better...  You should see what I got in return, it's amazing, actually it's unreal, for starters a lot of macros, a lot of help with CPTB, basic advanced modeling knowledge, (2) free trips that were paid by SW, one to Orlando in 2013 and one to Waltham just last month, and a lot of friends..

I'll bow out and let you vent, but it won't get you any pity or whatever you're looking for....  First lesson of the day, if you have an invention then protect it, don't share it till it is fully protected, if you got free info, I'll be the first to take what I can, why?? because I want to learn and help the next guy..... 

David Matula

DAN,  Join the crowd.  The only thing that I did get is that my job became easier when they implemented the upgrades. 

one year at the rollout they had like 6 of my enhancement request implemented in the new release.  other years there would be one or none.

Dave Bear

Dan Golthing wrote:

I'm going on the 20 year mark with SWX and over 50,000 hours of usage. I was directly involved with the top brass back in the early 2000's and helped with many major improvements. I do use the feedback channels, but SolidWorks can be deaf on a lot of things.

for instance, John mentioned that SWX needs to get people to load the software sooner. We're all scared to load it before SP 3 or 4.

many of us have suggested ways to improve the feedback loop through enhanced Beta program (such as paying top users good money to beta test the software) and incentivizing ALL SWX users to report bugs and request enhancements. THIS could go a long way to having more robust initial releases.

I've mentioned it before, that I've directly contributed to MAJOR upgrades in the software throughout the years, helping to greatly improve the product, yet I got nothing. Not even a thanks.

If someone walks into your business, points out some major improvements to your product line, and you implement it with great success, is this individual worthy of no recompense?

Some rubes here on the forum will then say, well you get to use the enhanced functionality. Yes, sure, but is this really the way to motivate ALL the users to contribute. I can say 100% that it is not. A reward system could go a long way to catching more bugs and more enhancements.

In fact, almost every SolidWorks user I know has mentioned numerous problems with the software and almost all refuse to become part of the feedback loop due to the "hassle". So they would rather live with the bug or find a workaround.

This is an unhealthy business practice.

SolidWorks:

-Identify 100 of your top users (most vocal, complain the most, submit the most bug reports, etc) and PAY them handsomely to beta test your product. Give them a direct path for feedback. Keep them year after year based on their helpfulness. If they aren't helpful, replace them with other prospective power users. ENSURE SP 0 isn't a steaming pile so we can actually use what we have paid for!!!

-Incentivize ALL users to report bugs and submit enhancement requests. Create a points-based system for any legitimate bug and any implemented ER whereby points can purchase anything from promotional trinkets such as SWX t-shirts and other swag all the way up to free software or waived maintenance for a high enough level of support.

One user I know a couple of years ago submitted an ER for Simulation to identify underconstrained bodies. SWX thankfully implemented it, and it's freaking awesome. I use it all the time. I consider this a huge enhancement. It can greatly improve productivity, for those of you who are familiar with Simulation and complex mechanism analysis. sometimes you could spend hours trying to figure out why a model wasn't stable. Now with this enhancement, the software does it for you.

This was an invention, handed over to SolidWorks by a user. In return, the user got nothing. Not even a thanks.

I've got many other examples and I'm sure you do too.

I consider this a horrible way to do business.

Wow, Just wow..........

Basically what you're saying Dan Golthing is that you should be paid for anything and everything that you contribute. No offense mate, but given the way that you convey most things, it's not really constructive and therefore I'm not surprised you've seen no recompense. You'll note that there are many here that give selflessly to both the forum and to SW in feedback. They are quiet achievers, and they provide substance to whatever they submit, this is seen in a far more favourable light don't you think? For you to ask the very question that this thread is based on reveals that you are not in touch with how SW is currently doing business so how can you even comment on such things. Did you create the thread as just another avenue to vent?

If you have indeed made contributions to make the software better, then you have my appreciation, but your tendency to be on the negative side of SolidWorks leads me to either believe that you've never grasped it or you simply do not know your facts. BTW, I'm using SW2018 and it hasn't crashed once!

Dave.

Rick Becker

Dan Golthing wrote:

...I've mentioned it before, that I've directly contributed to MAJOR upgrades in the software throughout the years, helping to greatly improve the product, yet I got nothing. Not even a thanks.

Dan, I would personally like to sincerely thank you.

Dan Golthing wrote:

-Identify 100 of your top users (most vocal, complain the most, submit the most bug reports, etc) and PAY them handsomely to beta test your product. Give them a direct path for feedback. Keep them year after year based on their helpfulness. If they aren't helpful, replace them with other prospective power users. ENSURE SP 0 isn't a steaming pile so we can actually use what we have paid for!!!

-Incentivize ALL users to report bugs and submit enhancement requests. Create a points-based system for any legitimate bug and any implemented ER whereby points can purchase anything from promotional trinkets such as SWX t-shirts and other swag all the way up to free software or waived maintenance for a high enough level of support.

I really like these ideas.

Question. I know SW has a BETA program. I don't participate. What is SW currently doing? Do they already have paid testers? What other testing programs are they currently utilizing?

By the way, I found 2018 SP 0.1 to be a Huge improvement over 2017 SP5.0 and I have had No troubles using it for core business requirements from the day it was released. (I am currently at SP3.0)

Dan Golthing wrote:

...One user I know a couple of years ago submitted an ER for Simulation to identify underconstrained bodies. SWX thankfully implemented it, and it's freaking awesome. I use it all the time. ...

This was an invention, handed over to SolidWorks by a user. In return, the user got nothing...

With 3 million users and many, many communication paths how sure are you that this was the very first time the development team encountered this suggestion? I would bet that your friend added to the list of users that would benefit from the implementation of such a fine idea.

I have also found that SW staff generously spreads thanks. I can't believe that a SW development team member heard the idea, thought it was good and didn't say Thank You.

Dan Golthing wrote:

...I consider this a horrible way to do business.

Dassault / SolidWorks seems to be rather successful. A reevaluation of your considerations may be in order.

Dan Golthing

Rick, thanks for some reasoned responses.

What other industry relies on it's consumers to do the lions-share of the innovation?  You don't think it's a strange business model?

I get the same benefits from SolidWorks as somebody who contributes nothing, ever.

It's going to very difficult to convince me that SolidWorks switching to a rewards-based system wouldn't do wonders to further improve the product and maybe invigorate those of us who actively are providing feedback.

Let's talk about my consulting work.  when somebody refers a client to me, should I just say, "thanks!"?  To me, that would be unethical, because they have added value to my business.  that's why they get a check for the referral, and it's usually a substantial amount.

Dan Golthing

I started this thread because 2018 is crashing for me just as much as ever.

I would guess this is the highest "One and Two" related issue.

John Stoltzfus

Dan Golthing  wrote:

Then there is something wrong with your workflow.........

Neil Larsen

I'm not sure that's a fair comment.

Dan might do work that is quite a bit different from yours.

He might be going where you don't and experiencing bugs you just don't come across.

There are typically a few ways to do things in SW as well.  Perhaps in his work flow or habits he has an aptitude for picking a different way from most... Its a bit like being left handed and experiencing something as difficult to use that a right hander has no awareness of.

I know the way I work seemed to find every annoying bug there was regardless of how polished a release was. Call me unusual if you like.... It did drive me nuts however and its what prompted me to abandon updating altogether.

Dan's experience of there being no real improvements since 'one and two' might be real for him.

The thing about bugs is that the most often reported ones are usually the ones that are fixed first.

People 'on the fringe' might not see fixes for the issues they have for quite a while.

It might be more helpful for Dan if he could be more specific about the crashes he is having.

Perhaps he does have some obscure hardware related effects and then again maybe he should be turning in reports to SW - if only on behalf of fellow 'fringers'.

John Stoltzfus

Neil Larsen - Fair enough - but if you watch the forum on a regular basis you'll soon see that the people complaining about something are usually corrected or given a correct answer by the greats like Deepak Gupta, or look at the impossible challenges that Alin Vargatu has put together... 

All I'm trying to say if someone is doing something that doesn't work, doing the same thing over and over don't produce different results, find a way to do your job, is all I'm saying

Dan Golthing

Yes, i have had crashes that occur over and over again.  Because SWX has corrupted a part or assembly.  And I've had my VAR confirm.

I'll put my workflow up against ANYONE. 

The problem is that everyone here is a guru.  They work with assemblies of maybe a few dozen or maybe a couple hundred parts and they think they are the you-know-what.  Then there are the other people here that are the real deal, who know how to build assemblies with tens of thousands of parts all day long and parts with actual complexity, such as injection mold tools, progressive dies, etc.

It's fun how everybody thinks they're so civil and all but then they'll say something like, "Then there is something wrong with your workflow......... "  not having ANY idea of which they speak.

John Stoltzfus

Dan Golthing  wrote:

It's fun how everybody thinks they're so civil and all but then they'll say something like, "Then there is something wrong with your workflow......... " not having ANY idea of which they speak.

I have no idea what you're trying to say... lol

I will repeatedly repeat the repeated statement...

Most issues are self inflicted or not totally understanding SolidWorks..  I've seen it many times, and I've also personally experienced it myself, I'm not better than anyone else, it's just that having used SW since 1997, I now understand what I was doing wrong for many many years..  I would hate to open up some of my big assemblies that I did 10 or 15 years ago and I sometimes cringe when I open something I did within the last 5 years, why because of my workflow.  Unfortunately SW decides to release a new feature and their marketing people show canned videos of this great new feature and forces the development people to release a feature that has potential for a lot of bugs. 

Sure SW crashes, but now I know why it crashed and so if I know what triggered it, now I can prevent it therefore reducing the time lost..

From 10 parts to 10,000 parts it's still about workflow and your Design Intent prior to starting the first sketch. 

Sure would love to see your assemblies

Rick Becker

Dan Golthing wrote:

I installed 2018 SP0.1 (I am now at SP 3.0) and use SW for 8 hours every business day.

I have crashed a total of one time. This is Dramatically BETTER than any previous version on my computer.

I can personally attest that 2018 has implemented ONE and TWO across the board.

I am extremely pleased with the progress.

As I'm sure you know Dan, there are many possible root causes that contribute to crashes.

Combinations of hardware/software/drivers as well as heat (dust in computer box) corrosion (when was the last time you re-seated your RAM?) malware and user bad habits all contribute.

If everyone around you is having great experiences with 2018 and you aren't, maybe you can expand your list of possibilities for solutions.

Richard Gergely

I'm sorry but in general you have to be out of your mind to load on Solidworks on the newest version with no SP or anything under SP2. More over you don't really have your companies interests in mind if you do and that is a hard thing to say.

It's all fine saying the software won't get better or it doesn't have feedback it needs to move forward but that isn't your companies problem.

Solidworks is a single tool within a company where the goal is to make money. Any bottleneck that stops you making money is a problem.

So here is the thing for any company the sensible thing to do is wait and see what issues there are with a new release before considering whether to load it on. That in itself is a problem - there is no way to find a list of what new problems have been raise on each years version and what if any SP they will be fixed on.

This raises another problem. Who really does the beta testing. No company I know of would allow it for obvious reasons. Which means you are getting people of a certain demographic only testing beta = you won't get the feedback that is truly needed.

Which brings it to the next point which has been raised - to get a true there has got to be something in it for more people to take up SP0 or beta testing. I'm paying a lot of money each year for the software so the question is why should I then do development job for free and lose valuable time (=money in business) doing it.

Again...................... this year loading and using soildworks 2018 has cost me money. I started on SP2. If I had stayed on 2017 sp5 and paid subs it would have been far more beneficial fiscally wise. Worst still what that means is really I shouldn't have paid subs at all and banked the money.

What would be good for beta testing and SP0 there should be some kind of benefit for early take up otherwise I can't see past the problem of the vast majority of companies not taking the software up until late SP and the slow feedback on problems.

John Stoltzfus

Then I've been outta my mind since 1997 - With an exception of 2016, I actually waited till the new UI was taken care of....  Why would you want to wait till SP3?  Might be a good time to change your workflow so you can download and use SP0 right out of the gate????

Here is the argument, so by you waiting till SP3 or later is the real reason that the next SP0 release isn't where it should be, because ya wait, if any bugs are found in SP4 or SP5, they possibly won't be fixed till SP3 of the next release, so if everyone, (I know it's a pipe dream), but if everyone would bite the bullet on SP0 for a few releases then the SP5 would be better... 

Just say'n, my 2 cents of nothing

Glenn Schroeder

I guess I'm out of my mind too.  I've downloaded and started using most new versions immediately, or at least by service pack 1.  Mostly because there always seemed to be an enhancement or two that I didn't want to wait for, and I've never had the massive stability issues other people have complained about.  I've always had the occasional crash, and maybe a few more than usual early on with SW2018, but I've been keeping up with the service packs, and I don't remember when I had the last one.

Richard Gergely

Glenn Schroeder wrote:

I guess I'm out of my mind too. I've downloaded and started using most new versions immediately, or at least by service pack 1. Mostly because there always seemed to be an enhancement or two that I didn't want to wait for, and I've never had the massive stability issues other people have complained about. I've always had the occasional crash, and maybe a few more than usual early on with SW2018, but I've been keeping up with the service packs, and I don't remember when I had the last one.

Well I don't want to upset too many people but the people who use the forum are not necessarily the demographic of Soildworks users. Say there are a couple of million users of Solidworks and at best there are only a couple of hundred users that use the forum regularly. That would suggest that the people who use the forum regularly are a tiny niche at best and likely to be avid Solidworks enthusiasts = much more likely to load on the newest version.

Glen with the save assembly and lose all relations (no going back once it happens other than load a backup from day before if you have one) problem which in theory was fixed in 2018 SP4 and the current PL creation 2018 issue in the mold software which you don't know when it will appear there is no guessing (also means relations of any sort to certain surfaces won't work ever). It's has been just the equivalent of flushing money down the toilet for mold tool design since I loaded on 2018 sp2.

Now I am in the position to look at hours and accounts time lost even including time talking to var on bugs. The point I can see is that year on year it usually costs more money loading and dealing with new bugs than it would have been to stay on the previous years SP5 or in some cases miss the entire release year completely. There have been odd years where it has paid off especially if a critical bug was fixed from a previous version or a enhancement really has saved enough time. The thing with enhancements is they usually need to stack up for a few years before they could outweigh the overall cost of upgrading.

John Stoltzfus

Richard Gergely wrote;

Well I don't want to upset too many people but the people who use the forum are not necessarily the demographic of Soildworks users.

SWIFT - represents less than .02% of the entire SW seats sold..  SW still uses the forum being a factor, in theory could easily be a linear percentage of the entire SW user base, a fact that could never be known, unless everyone would fill out an honest survey..

As for results on what the forum can really do, see...  ONE and TWO

Richard Gergely

John Stoltzfus wrote:

Richard Gergely wrote;

Well I don't want to upset too many people but the people who use the forum are not necessarily the demographic of Soildworks users.

SWIFT - represents less than .02% of the entire SW seats sold.. SW still uses the forum being a factor, in theory could easily be a linear percentage of the entire SW user base, a fact that could never be known, unless everyone would fill out an honest survey..

As for results on what the forum can really do, see... ONE and TWO

There lies the problem again. I am not 100% comfortable with a forum pushing what changes are required in Solidworks. While there may at a push be 200 active users there are much less who put forward top ten enhancements and very few who vote. Then that is likely for enhances.

For a kick off any influence of future updates should only come from people with active licenses - that is not the case.

We know that very few bugs get voted on Solidworks, staff have already said it. Prime example last place I worked had 30-40 seats and no-one used the forum or customer portal. So voted bugs/enhancements can suddenly become prime critical fixes because just a few people from the forum have pushed it.

Rick Becker

Richard Gergely wrote:

...There lies the problem again. I am not 100% comfortable with a forum pushing what changes are required in Solidworks.

I wish we had that power. We are not a determiner of what SW will do. At best we are an influencer.

As you have noted, the active participants in this forum are a small but very well informed, very knowledgeable slice of the SolidWorks user world. Being recognized as such by key personal at Dassault, this forum is watched and listened to, however, we don't make the list of what to work on next. I know this because I have been invited to SW headquarters and  learned first hand.

Please take a few minutes and read this... Trip Report to SW Headquarters Representing ONE and TWO - 11/15/17

and also this...A Visit with SolidWorks’ Leadership, Nov 15, 2017

If you believe this to be true, you can use this inside knowledge to advance your particular or specific wants or needs. You have an insiders advantage. Use it.

Richard Gergely wrote:

...For a kick off any influence of future updates should only come from people with active licenses - that is not the case.

First off Why do you hold this point of view? There are a great many users not on active subscription that use SW daily. Mostly their companies have made a business decision and have paused on a given version. Are you devaluing their opinions and experiences? I value input from all users regardless of subscription status.

Secondly, I believe that only those on active subscription can vote in the Top Ten.

Richard Gergely wrote:

...We know that very few bugs get voted on Solidworks, staff have already said it. Prime example last place I worked had 30-40 seats and no-one used the forum or customer portal. So voted bugs/enhancements can suddenly become prime critical fixes because just a few people from the forum have pushed it.

I can tell you that bugs, true bugs get pushed to the very top of the punch list. They are prioritized by criticality, how many people are affected, the severity of the bug, and if there is a work around available or not. Bugs get worked on first before anything else (if they are severe).

I can also tell you from personal experience that the ER/SPR/Enhancement voting system is only one part of the puzzle. Granted it is a significant part, but you can use that to you benefit. Get you 30 or 40 users to register and vote. Your needed fix/enhancement will quickly rise to the top of the "ToDo" list.  I saw this happen with the Top Ten list last year when electrical made a last minute run to dominate the Top Ten.

Dan Golthing

Rick, I appreciate your enthusiasm about the ONE and TWO visits to SWX, but there's a darker side.  We've been asking for product stability for twenty years.  Why all of a sudden are things going to get better (I hope so, though)?

Are the Glassdoor reviews improving?  Is SolidWorks going to start allowing their best and brightest developers have the autonomy to work their magic?  If the employees that walk the halls are demoralized, are things really going to get better?

From what I hear, SWX is only about 10% of Dassault's business but accounts for a very major part of their profit.  this means SWX isn't getting to reinvest our annual maintenance fees back into the product to give us a return on our investment.

I don't know, again, that's why I started the thread...which deteriorated quickly as so many SolidWorks apologists use this forum as their only source of daily social interaction and don't want anyone to offend mommy.

John Stoltzfus

Richard Gergely  wrote:

There lies the problem again. I am not 100% comfortable with a forum pushing what changes are required in Solidworks. While there may at a push be 200 active users there are much less who put forward top ten enhancements and very few who vote. Then that is likely for enhances.

For a kick off any influence of future updates should only come from people with active licenses - that is not the case.

We know that very few bugs get voted on Solidworks, staff have already said it. Prime example last place I worked had 30-40 seats and no-one used the forum or customer portal. So voted bugs/enhancements can suddenly become prime critical fixes because just a few people from the forum have pushed it.

I guess my question for you and everybody else with this mindset....... (Prime example of 30 - 40 users not being proactive)

If people don't speak up, what pretense should SolidWorks be making any adjustments to the Software, that are for the good of the product?  Should it be their team of testers that don't design cars, robots, plastics and in my case furniture? The consumer pushes the crazy designs and SolidWorks isn't in the mainstream manufacturing, they only support the mainstream manufacturer. 

Richard Gergely

John Stoltzfus wrote:

Richard Gergely wrote:

I guess my question for you and everybody else with this mindset....... (Prime example of 30 - 40 users not being proactive)

If people don't speak up, what pretense should SolidWorks be making any adjustments to the Software, that are for the good of the product? Should it be their team of testers that don't design cars, robots, plastics and in my case furniture? The consumer pushes the crazy designs and SolidWorks isn't in the mainstream manufacturing, they only support the mainstream manufacturer.

Well I am in the very small minority who use the forum but I am trying to look at this objectively. I think you are misunderstanding my position you see. What needs to be done is much more CONTACT WITH ALL CUSTOMERS and asking them what is wrong and what enhancements they would like.

Indeed with such a small minority using the forum the problems you outline above is exactly the reality - we need more feedback from the front line.

Some ideas-

Emails should be sent out to customers requesting feedback.

Questionnaire each year with a section for problems you have and enhancements you would like to see. What you like and don't about the software.

Most companies don't even know about the top ten list, why is solidworks not sending emails out about this?

Maybe the top ten list should have a initial period where all the suggestions come in then that is whittled down to say 100. Once the list is down to a 100 it is SENT OUT TO ALL CUSTOMERS to vote on.

My VAR as most don't ring/visit me asking how things are going, what problems you having and anything you would like to see changed. The time I usually get a phone call is when they want money.

So you see my thoughts are more towards inclusion for everyone not exclusion.

Anna Wood

What mechanism would SolidWorks use to obtain the e-mail addresses of every single one of its USERS?

SolidWorks regularly e-mails users that have registered on the customer portal and have not opted out of e-mails from the SolidWorks.

I get three just about every morning at the three e-mails I have registered with them on the customer portal.

I get survey requests regularly from SolidWorks at the e-mail addresses I have registered on the customer portal.

Pretty sure I have received e-mails on voting for top ten, submitting break out sessions for SWW, etc.   All at the e-mails I have registered with SW on the Customer Portal.

If a user cares about their craft they usually can find a way to get involved and make a difference in the software.  Quite frankly, in my experience, most do not care. 

FWIW....

Richard Gergely

Anna Wood wrote:

What mechanism would SolidWorks use to obtain the e-mail addresses of every single one of its USERS?

SolidWorks regularly e-mails users that have registered on the customer portal and have not opted out of e-mails from the SolidWorks.

I get three just about every morning at the three e-mails I have registered with them on the customer portal.

I get survey requests regularly from SolidWorks at the e-mail addresses I have registered on the customer portal.

Pretty sure I have received e-mails on voting for top ten, submitting break out sessions for SWW, etc. All at the e-mails I have registered with SW on the Customer Portal.

If a user cares about their craft they usually can find a way to get involved and make a difference in the software. Quite frankly, in my experience, most do not care.

FWIW....

When I say customer I am not talking about every user.

Ever VAR has contact details.

So my thought is more of a VAR's job to get in contact with each company on their books. Ask them if they could have a discussion with their designers, fill out the questionnaire.

Probably the CAD admin guy or or the guy in charge of design would be doing this.

Again with the top ten. Say when it is whittle down to 100 ideas ask the client to have a review at there company and return their nominations.

Avoid it coming as if junk it's junk mail and talk to the client and tell them it's important to improve the software.

At the end of the day VAR's are supposed to talk to customers about how they are getting on and visit companies. What I am suggesting is a way to get some meaningful data from this. Also the companies who after all are paying for Solidworks will feel they are actually getting something back.

And no nothing in the UK about the top ten is pushed. Can't say I can remember a survey either.

I will also put this to you - what about all the people who don't speak English = zero feedback. The above would change this.

Dan Golthing

Anna Wood wrote:

Pretty sure I have received e-mails on voting for top ten, submitting break out sessions for SWW, etc. All at the e-mails I have registered with SW on the Customer Portal.

If a user cares about their craft they usually can find a way to get involved and make a difference in the software. Quite frankly, in my experience, most do not care.

FWIW....

It's true, I've tried to get employees complaining to me about problems to sign on and report the bugs.  It's too much "trouble".  Then either I have to do it or it gets ignored.

Thats what has led me to the belief that SWX should provide incentive.  Yes, there are those of us who care and spend the time giving feedback, but those on the fence? 

I don't understand why SolidWorks shouldn't provide some sort of points-based system that can reward contributors with SWAG or other incentives?

what if for every bug reported (the first person) you get a SWX Tee shirt or something. 

the fact is that I'm guessing some of the people here on the forums that live and breathe SolidWorks have contributed enough that they should get a paid trip to SolidWorks world or something.

Imagine if Anna, who is a great contributor, gets a trip to SWX world for her efforts.  She's only going to be the more active and maybe other people will jump in more hoping to get the same.

I just think it would be a great customer-relation boost and improve the volume of feedback. 

Neil Larsen

Yeah...this is an interesting aspect of SW existence - why don't they provide incentive to report bugs?

Attending the forums results in all manner of point earning nonsense hung around your neck.

They obviously have a fair bit of money to gift to anointed people for trips to SWW etc. but other than some token beta testing prizes there is nothing for reporting bugs....hmmm...

I would say that the money they have is regarded as 'promotional' i.e. self interested whereas paying for bugs is an expense - 'self harming'. Say they started paying and people reported 3 x the bugs and 2x were early on - now the quality is revealed and they are obliged to either carry the embarrassment of unfixed bugs or hire more fixers.

My bet is that they won't hire 2x the fixers if people are mostly satisfied with the status quo or it is tolerable and its only rare to see a one two rebellion. 10 new fixers = $1m pa? + $1m rewards scheme pa? = $2m vs $100,000 promotions?.

David Matula

INCENTIVES....

I have been on this idea for a while.  SolidWorks has their testing, CSWA, CSWP, AND THE CSWE  now in both student version and professional I believe.  That along with all the training classes, that are offered up by our VAR's.  A great incentive would be to offer up a small discount on the subscription services to have your workers all trained in the software, and to have them all get certified.

When I asked my boss for help getting my CSWP, he told me there is not any reason that he could see a benefit to him.  It was all great for me he said, but he was not going to be able to charge his customers more for me having it.  So by offering the discount on having 100% certified work crew would not only help us users out by getting the proper training that we need to be  able to pass these test and to do our jobs better, but the boss man will see something that he can put his hands on that he will be getting.

If the company has 10 seats, and 10 users, that are all at the top of their certification skills a 10% discount would give the boss man incentive to make sure everyone is trained and certified.  It may even help keep everyone up to date on subscription services.      

Anna Wood

Dan Golthing wrote:

Imagine if Anna, who is a great contributor, gets a trip to SWX world for her efforts. She's only going to be the more active and maybe other people will jump in more hoping to get the same.

I just think it would be a great customer-relation boost and improve the volume of feedback.

Full Disclosure:  I actually have been flown out to SWW and SW Hq in Boston, at DS expense, on several occasions when I was contributing more here and also blogging about the software as an "influencer".

That said...   I hear you, it would be nice to have more tangible incentives for devoting our time and energy to software improvements.  A little swag goes a long way. 

Alex Lachance

I can vouch for what Richard is saying, everyone that I know who uses SolidWorks and isn't a forum member has no interest in updating version of SolidWorks until it gets to SP3.0 or higher, I even have 2 advisors who advise me other wise all the time even after all I've told them that I read on the forum. The truth is those advisors do test every single version with every set up of people they advise and do find bugs most of the time.

As Neil Larsen stated, there are plenty of different workflows and people work in different domains too so trying to brush aside his complaint is pretty much going back to before ONE and TWO, wouldn't some of you say?

Frederick Law

ErrorReport01.jpg

I'm still stuck at One.

VAR was not too helpful.

I like idea of reward for reporting bugs.

If you report a critical bug, you get a year free subscription.  Or free upgrade.  Or a discount.

Like other said, no business in their right mind will rely their business on unproven software.

I'll install SP0 but it'll testing only, not for production.  Old version will still be the main use copy.

Try to justify that to people just got Windows 10 update last week that wipe their Documents and Picture folders clean.

There are valid reasons for not trying the latest and greatest.

I was lucky with the Windows Update.

Dan Golthing

Partial update...

For anybody who would like to openly discuss the topic at hand, I still don't know what is the stability issue on my '18 install, but for now my '17 install is working much better.  It was getting really glitchy and crashy. 

I did a repair and it seems to be better!!! YEA.

this brings up the question:  HOW DO WE KNOW IF WE NEED TO DO A REPAIR? 

and, IS IT OK JUST TO DO A REPAIR FROM TIME TO TIME FOR GOOD MEASURE?

Shouldn't the software, especially something this sophisticated, be able to automatically evaluate if there's issues and repair or recommend a repair?

Frederick Law

It is a problem with MS windows.  Since Windows 3.  It does get better with Windows 10 but it has new problems.

Shared libraries got overwritten.  Incompatible library got installed.  Library not updated.

Registry "corrupted" or changed.

Be careful with "Clean up" softwares.  Sometime they clean too much and break everything.

Dennis Dohogne

Dan Golthing wrote:

Shouldn't the software, especially something this sophisticated, be able to automatically evaluate if there's issues and repair or recommend a repair?

Dan, I agree with you that the software should have some sort of internal self-diagnostic capabilities, or at the least do something more thorough along these lines when the SWX Rx is run.  Please submit this as an Enhancement Request and when you get the SPR let us know so we can add our votes and voices to it, raising it up the to-do list.

Matt Peneguy

Dan Golthing wrote:

Partial update...

For anybody who would like to openly discuss the topic at hand, I still don't know what is the stability issue on my '18 install, but for now my '17 install is working much better. It was getting really glitchy and crashy.

I did a repair and it seems to be better!!! YEA.

this brings up the question: HOW DO WE KNOW IF WE NEED TO DO A REPAIR?

and, IS IT OK JUST TO DO A REPAIR FROM TIME TO TIME FOR GOOD MEASURE?

This is a very good point.  I have run into this a couple of times.  As Dennis Dohogne has said, an SPR is in order for this.  Though, because it is probably complicated, this one may be difficult to implement.  If you get an SPR on this I'll definitely vote for it.

I've had to do a couple repairs and I even had to do a clean uninstall/reinstall...Talk about time consuming!  I used an out of date guide.  I was worried I'd trash my system because other programs use some of those .Net frameworks and I wasn't sure blowing all of them away was going to cause problems.  I had my fingers crossed and luckily it all worked out, but it could have required much more extensive work had I made a mistake.

Solidworks Swcare

@Dan Golthing

We are sorry to hear you are experiencing stability issues. We are starting a new program (Beta for now) where we review our forums and reach out to customers having issues to help connect them with their VAR.

I have Direct Messaged you about this issue.  Thanks for using the SolidWorks and the SolidWorks Forum

Regards,

SolidWorksCare

https://twitter.com/SOLIDWORKSCare