16 Replies Latest reply on Oct 2, 2018 12:10 PM by Barry Morris

Extension Lines

Jason Jarvis

Hello Everyone

When measuring things in the drawing view it automatically adds extension lines.

The only way to remove these seems to be right clicking each line individually and selecting remove extension line.

Please see image example, bottom extension line removed.

Extension.PNG

In large multi page drawings this process ends up taking a very long time, is there a setting in the styles anywhere to disable this?

If not, is a macro the only way around this?

Thank you for reading

Jason

• Re: Extension Lines
          Deepak Gupta

I'm not sure on your expertise with SW but these dimensions created using the dimensions tool in the drawing. The measure tool is different and doesn't crate any dimensions.

I do not think there is a direct option to remove them but yes macro can be made to remove them form all dimension in the active drawing. But before you go that route, could you suggest why you want to remove them and why not keep them?

Jason Jarvis

Hi Deepak,

My apologies, you are right, I am not too experienced, I meant using the dimension tool, not the measuring one.

It is mostly for visual purposes, to removed clutter, I have tried to make two examples, although not very good ones, below:

New1.PNG

This is with extension lines

New2.PNG

This is without.

Neither look very good, but one looks a bit clearer, the effect is exaggerated when there are lots of dimensions.

I hope this makes sense.

Jason

Deepak Gupta

Jason Jarvis wrote:

It is mostly for visual purposes, to removed clutter, I have tried to make two examples, although not very good ones, below:

New2.PNG

But with the extension lines removed it may be hard to find the that from where the dimension is referring to unless it is a simple drawing as per your example.

Jason Jarvis

This is true Deepak, there will be situations where the lines may still be needed.

For the majority of drawings I have been required to hide them though.

Josh Brady

Jason,

What kind of industry are you in?  I have never seen a situation in which your second drawing would be remotely acceptable. The first drawing is correct, although your lineweights need work.  Object lines for the part should be a bit heavier than the extension lines for the dimension.  Also, you can set an extension line gap such that the lines don't actually touch the part, but leave a little gap.  As this:

Jason Jarvis

Hi Josh,

I work in cabinetry production mostly.

Thank you for your input, I have attempted to do it as you have suggested, with bold and a gap, but on drawing with more dimensions, such as a pretend staircase string.

It still looks a bit overkill to me, please see the below example:

Capture22.PNG

Is this how you would suggest it to look?.

Thanks again,

Jason

Josh Brady

Depending on what your tolerances are and what you're going for, yes. Or, almost anyway.  If the 200 and 100 steps were the important thing, that's what you would dimension.  However, you would need to be aware of tolerance stackup.  If you have (just for discussion sake) ±1mm tolerance on each dimension, your overall width as shown could be anywhere from 1493 to 1507.  If you want to control the overall shape a little more closely, you can bring all of the dimensions back to a common point.  That would mean that no surface is more than 1mm from its nominal location, although it would be possible for a step to be up to 2mm small/large.

Just because I'm too lazy to draw your multistep, here are a couple of other ways to represent the same physical part:

Sergio Monti

I usually put dimensions in a different layer and with a different colour (dark greenish) so you can recognise the part in black from dimensions.

Josh Brady

Sergio Monti wrote:

I usually put dimensions in a different layer and with a different colour (dark greenish) so you can recognise the part in black from dimensions.

That definitely helps... However, everywhere I've worked so far there has to be an assumption that someone's gonna print out my drawing on a B&W printer.  And then maybe scan it, and email it, and print it again.  So everything needs to be as clear as possible without using colors or even grayscale. 

Barry Morris

Jason

This is an option that is acceptable in the Tool & Die industry. Typ. = Typical

As far as colors and layers, red and blue works well so that when your prints are put out in

grayscale they show up well.

Ordinate is another option to help clean up redundant dimensions.

1) The fewer redundant dimensions that you place on your prints the cleaner they will be.

2) It may take time for senior employees to catch on to the new style of dimensioning,

and someone will inevitably ask for clarification on what you mean on your prints, however simpler is better.

3) Never add any more dimensions to a print than just what is needed to manufacture the part.

4) Never dimension the same feature from two different datum's. This drives machinist and other people that are trying

to make the parts nuts!