Michael, a few comments:
- The model is set up to compress the bar. Typically, metals are analyzed for tensile strength.
- Considering this, I would suggest putting tensile force (instead of displacement) as the load.
- You made good use of the boundary condition to keep movement axially (z direction)
- You should put some mesh refinement where it necks down to 5 mm. This will be the high stress region and the mesh needs to be relatively finer than the overall part. (right click on the Mesh option)
- To really get comfortable with FEA I suggest duplicating and analyzing shapes found in "Peterson's stress concentration factors". This was the stress concentration factor reference prior to FEA.
Hope that helps.
Thank you Attilio! I meant to have the simulations in tension, I must have reversed them fooling around.
Have a nice day.