8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 1, 2018 12:11 PM by John Brennan

Processor requirements

John Brennan

Hi, my son just started a ME program and I'm looking into getting him a computer. I found a Lenovo W541 with Intel Core i7 4th Gen 4810MQ (2.80 GHz) Quad-core Processor and 32Gb of RAM. The system requirements lists a processor that is 3.3 GHz or higher. With multiple cores clock speed isn’t the full picture. Can anyone shed some light on whether a computer like this will do him for 5 years in college? Thanks.

• Re: Processor requirements
          Tony Tieuli

John Brennan wrote:

Hi, my son just started a ME program and I'm looking into getting him a computer. I found a Lenovo W541 with Intel Core i7 4th Gen 4810MQ (2.80 GHz) Quad-core Processor and 32Gb of RAM. The system requirements lists a processor that is 3.3 GHz or higher. With multiple cores clock speed isn’t the full picture. Can anyone shed some light on whether a computer like this will do him for 5 years in college? Thanks.

I would think that computer would be adequate to get through school. One thing to be sure of with SolidWorks is that the video card and driver are listed here:

Dave Bear

Hi John,

Yes it will probably do him. For 5 years... ?????

The recommendations are there for a reason and whilst some will elect to use lower spec equipment (and I have) you will probably find that as SolidWorks updates come out with new enhancements and functionality that the machine may start to lag sooner rather than later because you were behind the eight ball to start with.......

Just my 2 cents.

Dave.

Danny Edwards

As Tony Tieuli and Dave Bear mention graphics card and Processors are important. Also since J. Mather is an instructor I believe it would be good to here what he says.

Craig Schultz

1) Certified graphics card, and not one that's on the last iteration if you expect to be using it for 5 years.

2) As fast of a processor as you're willing to spend money on.  Multiple cores will help on simulation if he ends up doing any.

3) RAM...32 if you still have money left over, otherwise 16 should be sufficient.

John Brennan

Hi Everybody,

1st I am not so proficient on this message system so I apologize. Thank you all for you help, you have cleared up a lot. The laptop has 32Gb of RAM.

Tony Tieuli    For video card it has NVIDIA Quadro K2100M 2GB GDDR5 GPU , I checked the website and this one is listed along with the 1100 series. Both were launched in 2013 which was 5 years ago. I have no idea how long they stay relevant for.

Dave Bear  while it lasting 5 year is my pipe dream, the reality is that a solid 2 years will probably get us to a point where he can upgrade, though the longer it pulls it's weight the better. By the way I like your occupation, I'm not half bad it myself either  

I'm feeling pretty good about going with the one I found, just waiting for my son to call me back to make sure that I have got all  the things that he needs a machine to do. Now, since I am not a teenage girl it may take a while fort the teenage boy to call me. 

Thanks again

John Brennan

How in the world did I get a correct answer sticker for this?

Tony Tieuli

John Brennan wrote:

Hi Everybody,

1st I am not so proficient on this message system so I apologize. Thank you all for you help, you have cleared up a lot. The laptop has 32Gb of RAM.

Tony Tieuli For video card it has NVIDIA Quadro K2100M 2GB GDDR5 GPU , I checked the website and this one is listed along with the 1100 series. Both were launched in 2013 which was 5 years ago. I have no idea how long they stay relevant for.

Dave Bear while it lasting 5 year is my pipe dream, the reality is that a solid 2 years will probably get us to a point where he can upgrade, though the longer it pulls it's weight the better. By the way I like your occupation, I'm not half bad it myself either

I'm feeling pretty good about going with the one I found, just waiting for my son to call me back to make sure that I have got all the things that he needs a machine to do. Now, since I am not a teenage girl it may take a while fort the teenage boy to call me.

Thanks again

John,

Just make sure he's using the correct driver version as well. The latest version is not always the SolidWorks approved version.