8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 28, 2018 2:46 PM by Dan Pihlaja

hole wizard vertical slot

Timothy Taby

So I decided to try out the slots in the hole wizard.  So I make my slot 17/64" wide and 1/2" long.  I go to the position tab and it's there, but it's horizontal, not vertical like I want it to be. So then I look to try and figure out how to turn it, but there is nothing there to allow me to do that.  So how can you use this to create a vertical slot?  Is it even possible?

Holewiz2.png

I want the slot to go vertical not horizontal like the preview shows

• Re: hole wizard vertical slot
          Glenn Schroeder

I don't know why it's not showing in your screenshot, but there should be a horizontal construction line defining the length of the slot.  That horizontal line is blue, because it's orientation isn't fully defined.  You should be able to click on it and set a horizontal or vertical relation just like in any other sketch.  I typically do that even if I want it horizontal just to make sure it really is horizontal.

Timothy Taby

It must be a bug when you modify an existing hole to make it  a slot, which is what I had done in my screen shot.  When I put a slot in new it gives me the construction lines like you said.  That is why I was so confused on the one that I edited.

Glenn Schroeder

Timothy Taby wrote:

It must be a bug when you modify an existing hole to make it a slot, which is what I had done in my screen shot. When I put a slot in new it gives me the construction lines like you said. That is why I was so confused on the one that I edited.

I just checked, and when I edited a Hole Wizard slot feature I got the construction line just like when first creating it.  I don't know why it doesn't work that way for you, but in the future you might try expanding the feature in the tree and editing the sketch directly to see if the line shows up.

Dan Pihlaja

Glenn Schroeder wrote:

Timothy Taby wrote:

It must be a bug when you modify an existing hole to make it a slot, which is what I had done in my screen shot. When I put a slot in new it gives me the construction lines like you said. That is why I was so confused on the one that I edited.

I just checked, and when I edited a Hole Wizard slot feature I got the construction line just like when first creating it. I don't know why it doesn't work that way for you, but in the future you might try expanding the feature in the tree and editing the sketch directly to see if the line shows up.

He didn't say editing a hole wizard slot feature.

What he said was changing a regular hole from the hole wizard to a hole wizard slot feature.

Like say....changing a tapped hole to a slot.

Glenn Schroeder

Dan Pihlaja wrote:

Glenn Schroeder wrote:

Timothy Taby wrote:

I just checked, and when I edited a Hole Wizard slot feature I got the construction line just like when first creating it. I don't know why it doesn't work that way for you, but in the future you might try expanding the feature in the tree and editing the sketch directly to see if the line shows up.

He didn't say editing a hole wizard slot feature.

What he said was changing a regular hole from the hole wizard to a hole wizard slot feature.

Like say....changing a tapped hole to a slot.

Since he referenced the Hole Wizard function in his first post I assumed that's what he meant there also, but that wouldn't be the first time I made an invalid assumption.

Timothy Taby

It was a legacy hole done in the hole wizard that I was editing.  Thing is I can't re-create it on a new part, it is only on that part that I was editing that it happens.  This is a part that someone else did that I was trying to modify.

Dan Pihlaja

Right...he used the hole wizard.....but the bug he is referring to is editing an already created hole.....and changing it to a slot.

example:

Create hole:

Edit said hole:

Modify hole wizard of hole and change it to a slot:

Then edit the sketch of the slot:

Aaaaaand you are right Glenn (as usual...  )   I am not seeing his bug either......

Never mind.....nothing to see here. 

Jim Steinmeyer

Like Glenn says just grab the construction line that defines the slot and turn it. After placing the slots click escape and you will still be active in the sketch and able to turn them. This helps also if you want the slot at an angle other than horizontal or vertical.